SweetPeas going downward - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

SweetPeas going downward

Well as some of you know I adopted 2 little guys on the 5th of this month. I already had a little one named Bishop.
The older and biggest of all three of my kids is now Nimph. Yes I named him that. I have no idea why. Nimph and Bishop are getting along pretty good after I got the go ahead from the vet.
I smeared them with baby food and now they romp every day.

However SweetPea, the very young dumbo male, has taking a tumble downward. He at first had bits of rust on his nose, but Nimph did too. The only difference was that Nimphs went away, SweetPeas did not. He also was reclusive. Well, like I expected, at about 2:00AM this early morning I found him heaving, covered in his own rust with pneumonia.

I gave him Enro/Doxy and Meloxicam for the pain of heaving.
I also have been syringe feeding him water and baby food about
every two to three hrs. I think that this is a result of being so young and vulnerable. He was maybe 3 weeks when I got him so he is much too young to be away from Mum.

He is of course separated from the rest.
Everyone else btw, is 100%~

Lucky me my Dad was taking our cat to the vet for her teeth cleaning. I wrote the vet a letter asking for advice and Clavamox. At about 4:00 PM he got back to talking with about the situation. He took confidence in my word and told me that from it sounds like, he may already be too far gone and I should continue with the regiments I have chosen for him. I have seen very little improvements since this morning to be honest. :C

Well i'll keep you informed but I do doubt greatly there will be a recovery...Any advice for a rat with pneumonia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:15 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh my gosh! Feel better Sweetpea! Im thinking of you and your rattie!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 AM
Part of the Pack

my rat kim got pnemonia real bad and steaming her seemed to help. i put her in the bathroom and turned the shower on really hot and the stayed in there with her to keep her calm. the vet said it warms them from the inside out

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 06:07 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Ugh...steaming is for breaking down severe congestion when a rat is having trouble breathing. When you just have fluid in the lungs like pneumonia, steaming can make them worse by adding more fluid in the lungs. Whenever you steam a rat, you have them in your lap and you watch them like a hawk! In a few minutes they will often make a little gulp and some even will sit up and groom. ANY signs of worsening and you get that rat out of there fast!

What you are doing, warmth, fluids, baytril/doxy and metacam is all you can do at this point. You need to give the abs a minimum of 4 days to start showing any sign of improvement, but you also need to be prepared to take him in to be pts if she shows any real signs of suffering.

I thought you were adopting rats from rescues? Why would they hand off 3 week old bubs? Have you contacted them about this?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Part of the Pack

That's what I was wondering - why didn't the rescue keep them till they were at least weaning age?

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 PM

She got these from Petco, not from the rescue. Just so no one is confused..

And oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this about SweetPea! Were they still with their mommy at Petco? I hope he pulls through... Poor little guy.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I did a follow up post. Go read it if ya want.

Steaming huh? I can try it...

Well he seems to be doing slightly better today.
Hes started to clean himself more but he is still heaving.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh good. I hope he gets better soon.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Well we tried steaming for a moment, and it seemed to help. Hes not of course good as new but he is alert and wondering around. It also looks like hes been chowing down on the blocks I gave him. Thats a good sign.

LilSpaz - I have no idea what ABS and PTS stand for. Haha. Sorry.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM

Steaming shouldn't be done if your rat has pneumonia i think, but if it's an Upper Respiratory Infection (URI) then it will help.

Not sure what ABS is, but PTS is Put To Sleep.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Ugh Petco...all the sick petstore rats I know of almost always come from Petco, and we don't even have Petco in Canada

abs - antibiotics

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:39 PM

"Petco... where the pets go... to die" That's what we say here. I've gotten one rat from Petco about a year ago. I suppose I got lucky, because she wasn't sick at all, and she was about 4 months old when I got her. She's still alive today, but I wouldn't ever vouch for Petco just because I've gotten one rat that actually survived from there. She's actually the ONLY rat I've ever had that lived longer than 2 weeks from petco. She was so cute though.. I couldn't resist her.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

Well these guys are my rescue pets. :C One of the employees was so worried that they'd turn mean or nasty being left alone so long he rung them up himself and just gave them to me.
Oetsmart is the worse here. They have extra pets in rat racks when the ones out front die. Which is weekly.

Im at a total loss...;--------;.
Since SweetPea was doing nicely today I put him in for two minutes with his brothers. Nimph was just thrilled to see him again. He grabbed SweetPea and went to hide him from me. But what makes me lost is that when SweetPea was in the cage he was eating and drinking and moving all by himself. Hes much less depressed and it helps him tremendously.

But what if he doesnt have Pneumonia and just a terrible URI???
Im so worried about transfer. They were already together when SweetPea was sick. Bishop showed no signs of illness (i think this is because Bishop is already Enro daily too) but Nimph started having rust under his nose. I never saw him sneeze or caugh and his breathing is normal...but...unno.

I could put Nimph on a lower dose of Enro to ensure he doesnt get sick.
Enro really cant hurt much if taken properly.

I just tried to seperate them...and Nimph gave me this look like "Why are taking my baby?" ;-------; I had to pull SweetPea from underneath his warm fuzzy Mum Nimph. UGH UGH. What do I do????

Last edited by bokuza; 07-15-2009 at 02:45 AM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Why would you separate them? No matter what the illness they have ALL been exposed. He's obviously a TON happier with his friends so just leave him there.

I wouldn't treat a rat just in case, only if they show true symptoms. A little porphryin is common and often normal.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know. But I thought maybe separation would let them get better faster if the worse one is not spreading it around more.

I panicked too. :X

Oh so, some good news, all of them are on meds...SweetPea is doing better by the days that go by. He still has a small crack sounds when he breathes but he is improving greatly.