Tame, Playful Mice - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Tame, Playful Mice

What are some of your experiences with some of the sweetest and tamest mice that you have ever had the privilege of raising?

One mouse that stands out in particular is Molly. I only had her for one month, two years ago. I purchased her at a pet store and she was a bright orange/brown. At first she seemed just like any other mouse....until I tried to introduce her to my mice. The mice did not accept her off the bat so I decided that I was going to let her live on my floor with obvious precations not to step on her.

I made her a house under my desk and it's when I let her first run around on the floor that I finally saw how special of a mouse she really was. She would make excited chirping noises and run wildly in circles around my entire room... she would run up to my hand and would sit on my shoulders. Even though she was a female, she would release small traces of urine as the walked, whether it was the floor or me (just like a rat). She loved games, and as soon as her name was called, whether it was in the afternoon or at midnite, she would awake from her house (which she always retired to), chirp and run in circles around you. She played tug of war, she would run and get seeds and varies items (paper clips, ect) if you gave them to her and put it in a pile a foot away.....she was a rat trapped in the body of a mouse....

Molly was soo full of life....but sadly..a month after I got her I just never saw her again.. I'm not sure if someone had left the door open or what happened...but she was gone as fast as she came into my life To this day I often think about her.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:45 PM

I don't want to be mean, but that could have been avoided if you'd kept her in a cage.

As far as sweet and tame mice, I once had a little girl named Pinky who always loved to sleep on top of my head. As soon as I'd get her out she's run right up there and lie down, I had to be really careful not to move my head too much or she'd freak though.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:47 PM

ah, one of the dangers of free roaming =\
I've only had my two mice, and the tamest one is Boss, he takes food from me and doesn't run away when I approach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

After Molly, I had a free-roaming teddy bear hamster named Maggie. The problem with Molly was most likely due to someone not closing the door behind them...as this was easily done with Maggie.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 02:55 PM

The mice that I've had (the friendly nice ones) were ones that I'd had since they were like tiny babies. I think the younger you start out with them, the calmer and more friendly they will be because they've been around people more.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 06:04 PM
RAT ADDICT

I have had so many mice throughout the years, that I wouldn't be able to tell you who the tamest or most friendly was.I had alot that were super friendly tho.And most of the mice I have now like to climb into my hands on their own and get attention.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 10:23 AM

Soma is so tame she sets on the couch and relaxes in my lap while i watch tv. she also will climb right onto my hand and take treats from me. she cleans my fingernails too. this woman i work with brings her kids over to play with my rabbits, and mice, and this mice is so tame it actually seems to enjoy a 4yr old, 6yr old, and a 2yr old (i watch the youngest one like a hawk!!)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You should show a pic of your mouse, I would love to see Soma.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 03:05 PM

i', sorry to hear about molly. From looking and seeing how tame and lovely everones pet mice are it has persuaded me to get two in the future, i used to have a couple a few years back! suck lovey litttle critters. And they're so cute.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 03:13 PM

Sad story!

Sry to hear that! By the way i had a mouse named sunny that i got last year July 6,2005.I loved her so much and the only reason why i got her was cause she was getting piled on by the other mice.Then i found out that was because she was sick and everytime u picked her up she would squeak and bunny kick u and i just thoght it was cute i didn't kno it ment she was dieing and she only lived 6 months then died the day before christmas eve!Well when i was opening one of my presents and it was labeled from:Sunny. Sunnny was a gold color that was from a pet store. I got a mouse named dandilien a week before sunny died so that night i didn't want dandi. to be lonely so i got her a friend named darla.Then eventually i wanted to breed my mice so i got a mouse name hershey that turns out to be a girl.So today a week before i go on vacation i'm going to tell my mom that i'm just going to look around and i'll wander off and buy a mouse hide it in my purse in the lil brown box they put it in then i'll have four adorable mice! pluse hershey's babies that are on the way!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 07:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mice4life
Sry to hear that! By the way i had a mouse named sunny that i got last year July 6,2005.I loved her so much and the only reason why i got her was cause she was getting piled on by the other mice.Then i found out that was because she was sick and everytime u picked her up she would squeak and bunny kick u and i just thoght it was cute i didn't kno it ment she was dieing and she only lived 6 months then died the day before christmas eve!Well when i was opening one of my presents and it was labeled from:Sunny. Sunnny was a gold color that was from a pet store. I got a mouse named dandilien a week before sunny died so that night i didn't want dandi. to be lonely so i got her a friend named darla.Then eventually i wanted to breed my mice so i got a mouse name hershey that turns out to be a girl.So today a week before i go on vacation i'm going to tell my mom that i'm just going to look around and i'll wander off and buy a mouse hide it in my purse in the lil brown box they put it in then i'll have four adorable mice! pluse hershey's babies that are on the way!
Just out of curioustiy, what are you gonna do with all of the mouse babies? If you keep them, are you prepared for that many mice and have seperate cages, just in case you need to seperate them?

Mouse breeding can be alot of work and requires research!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Aww.....I'm so sorry about Sunny. It seems that sometimes the best mice are with us for the shortest times. I had Molly for less than a month and yet she still sticks out in mind, after 2 years. I find that feeder mice live very long, I have one of my favs- James and he is 2 years and 2months old and going strong (I love the guy soooo much).

I also think that if you breed mice, be prepared! Sometimes you may just get 5 and sometimes it can go as high as 29!! My last mouse had a litter of 5 babies and accidently got pregnant again with 10 babies and unfortunatly she died shortly after that- it was too much for her.

Tags
bear hamster, pet mice, pet store, seperate cages, teddy bear, teddy bear hamster