Tank toppers...the way to go? - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

I've had excellent service with Martins & Elite Pets.I highly recommend both.

Lisa~ If I went with an aquarium,I would use a screen lid for ventilation.
I love the cages that you can join& add on to with tubes,but continuing to buy those would be costly.
I had my mice in a smaller hamster cage for a bit,but that cage leaked.I had no escapes with that one at all.& I housed them in that cage when they were the size they are now.Full grown& a bit on the beefy side
I wonder if I should ask them to do that modification (Martin's cages I mean) It's super sweet for them to do that if I still chose to go through with getting the topper.(They said they could do a 1/2 x 1/2)
My mice habitat would be housed on a table that they cant get off of.They sometime have "camp outs" on one of my shelves& they don't jump from such heights (I know they could climb if they had access to a table leg) but I'm still thinking,if I go with the aquarium topper,if they get out,they will be on a table I also used to have mice living (full time) outside of a cage.(When I had lots of mice) & they lived their full life with no escapes or the like. I'm still thinking.

As I said,these mice I have now haven't escaped out of anything yet.
Not saying they never will.I only had problems with baby mice escaping from bars,with the exception of one cage I had that had huge spacing.

It's still a thought...

This is the one I was looking at: 10 gallon aquarium topper
I would cover the wire somehow though.In my rat cage I have carpet.I like my critters having something solid to walk on.
May use carpet for the mice too.But my rats are litter trained,mice aren't,so that might not be so good on my nose We'll have to see.

Last edited by candyraver; 12-29-2006 at 04:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Oh,okay.The cages I use don't have wide bars,I am not sure the measurements,but adult mice cannot squeeze thru.Babies on the other hand... I have also used those safari cages,but always seem to break them!I have one thats taken apart in my closet and am probably gonna get rid of it!

I use bins and hamster cages for my mice,because it is hard to find cages made for mice and like I mentioned,I hate housing mice in glass tanks,because they are hard to clean and don't have good ventilation.

Lis,if you want to get rid of any cages like that I'd be interested in buying them .
Just a heads up.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:34 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
Lis,if you want to get rid of any cages like that I'd be interested in buying them .
Just a heads up.
Oh cool.If I does decide to get rid of it,I will let you know.I am still undecided,as I may need it in the future.That happened before,I got rid of cages...and then a little while later needed them!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Tis ok.I think i'm going with the MC tank topper.My mice are fatsies.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Title Thief Victim

Id get the tank topper..lol if your mice are big..and they have alot of toys...like yours do..i think they will be fine, i was going to get one.but once again my hamster died blah. but id get one lol

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Yup,that sounds like it will be the winning decision for me Then I can hang up their hammock & such& make it all pretty like
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Title Thief Victim

Yea! make sure I i mean WE get pics lol

Carissasaurus Rex

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have a tank topper for my rats, i got it from petsmart, i think it has about 1/4 x 2 inch bars in it and they love it i think it would work for mice
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Question hmmm..

can someone post a pic of a tank topper...im not sure i know what it is

Lve Never Fails

post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 05:14 PM

The only bad thing about any kind of wire cage or topper is that wild mice (which are much smaller than our domestic mice) can get IN your mouses cage with your mice and impregnate or even kill your pets. I have a close friend who had two female mice who were large enough not to get out of their wire cage get pregnant by a rogue wild mouse. It's really not safe to use any wire cages for mice simply for that fact even if your mice cant get out. It's especially dangerous in the winter months where the wild mice are coming indoors to seek warmth and shelter.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I dont have a picture but it is a wire cage that sits on top of a fish tank that has a ramp so animals can get from bottom to top with a top lid
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:39 PM

Here's a link to the Martins tank toppers.

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/toppers/
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

oooOOOooo now i see! Thanks Katie! C',

Lve Never Fails

post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature
C',
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 06:47 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe...its supposed to be a face...sideways looking to the left. He has a big nose, kinda like Ziggy..hehe...my sis sent it to me. I know, its kinda weird. C',

C",
I think this is the way it goes..

Lve Never Fails

Tags
baby mice, female mice, fish tank, hamster cage, litter train, litter trained, male mice, rat cage, wild animal, wild animals, wire cage, wire cages, wire mesh