Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
13K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  rodentz 
#1 · (Edited)
My mice have a lot of toys.& By a lot...I mean a LOT.They have toys for in their habitat& outside & way too many things that I cant even fit anywhere for them to have had the priveledge of using yet!
So,I weighed my options.
I could buy lots of cages& attach everything with tubes.Costly.Would look great.But even though i'm an avid ebay shopper the shipping would be not so nice to my wallet,let alone the having to clean a lot of cages.
~ The bin cage idea,cheap enough to buy,easy enough to make,& was strongly thinking on making one.
Now I think I want an aquarium topper from Martin's cages.I re-tested my theory on seeing if my mice would escape by putting them in the rat cage again [rats out of course,my rats would kill them trust me ;) ]. And this time they couldn't escape! They are full grown now,not small mice they eat like pigs.Well,maybe I should say they didn't try to escape...For safety precautions though,if I go with the aquarium topper idea I'll have the habitat up on a table of sorts so they won't escape.

I know some of you use aquariums [they are pretty cheap to buy in wal-mart so won't put me out a lot]but do you use aquarium toppers also? I think this is the only solution for me since my mice are spoiled :lol:

See less See more
#2 ·
how big is your aquarium gonna be>? would love to see pics of all their toys and set up once its done:D

#3 ·
The 20 gallon aquariums arent too much more expensive than the 10.I may invest in the 20 gallon.But I have only 2 girl mice :lol: (that'll change I want more) If I get a 10 gallon,the topper will have 2 levels for sure.
So far my mice have wheels (1 inside their cage,1 for outside) a hammock,that they love (I bought it off a site called Dapper Rat & its very roomy!) They have numerous little houses,ropes,you name it,they probably got it :lol:
Pics will definately be posted when I get it.Plan on ordering sometime in the next couple weeks ;)

#4 ·
I have mine in a 10 gallon, but I've never even considered a topper. Then again, my girls are tiny so I'm sure they'd get out. Good luck!

#6 ·
Dear Melissa,

Thank you for writing and inquiring about our aquarium toppers.

I'm sorry, the toppers aren't really suitable for mice. Mice can squeeze out through the 1/2" x 1" wire mesh. We could modify a topper in 1/2" x 1/2" mesh but small to medium sized mice can still squeeze through the 1/2" x 1/2". I've personally watched some determined mice squeeze through some of my 1/2" x 1/2" meshed cages.

I'm sorry we couldn't have been of help with a mouse cage for you. I'm glad to hear you like the Martin's Cage you already have! That's very important to us!

Thank you!

Diana Martin
Martin's Cages, Inc.
Manufacturer of Quality Pet Cages
http://www.martinscages.com

:sigh:

Anyone know of toppers with much smaller spacing?
Links please?

#7 ·
I think 1/2 in by 1/2 in would be okay for you. You said your mice were chubby so it might work out okay. I had a tank topper that was 1/2 in spacing and my mice still got out. They were small females though. Now they would probably be okay because they're a year old and full grown, but I don't like toppers too much so I don't think I"ll get one.

I took mine back because it was too noisy and vibrated too much...lol...I like to sleep too ya know..

Good Luck.

#9 ·
ive never heard of those toppers before (had to go look them up to know what you were talking about) they look really cool. Im glad the they were honest to say they wouldnt work for you, most people would prolly try to sell it to you anyway (cant tell you how many times ive seen people try to sell hamster cages for mice)
Maybe you could make your own, or possibly get one and add mesh to the outside?

(( just a suggestion, as i havent had mice in years and when i did they were just in a 10 gal so i really dont know if it would work :p ))

#11 ·
Angelnstuff said:
ive never heard of those toppers before (had to go look them up to know what you were talking about) they look really cool. Im glad the they were honest to say they wouldnt work for you, most people would prolly try to sell it to you anyway (cant tell you how many times ive seen people try to sell hamster cages for mice)
Ummm...just to let you know,I use hamster cages for mice and so have my sisters and other people I know,with NO problems.It is rats that cannot be housed in hamster cages.

I rather use a hamster cage then an aquarium for mice...then again,I only house adult mice in hamster cages.

#13 ·
Angelnstuff said:
By hamster cage, i mean the kind with really wide bars that they sold at the petstore by my moms house, most mice, even adults, will walk right out of them.
Oh,okay.The cages I use don't have wide bars,I am not sure the measurements,but adult mice cannot squeeze thru.Babies on the other hand...:rolleyes: I have also used those safari cages,but always seem to break them!I have one thats taken apart in my closet and am probably gonna get rid of it!

I use bins and hamster cages for my mice,because it is hard to find cages made for mice and like I mentioned,I hate housing mice in glass tanks,because they are hard to clean and don't have good ventilation.

#14 ·
I would go with a bin cage personally. They seem the roomiest and you are still getting fresh air too!! I have a new respect for Martins for being so honest with you it shows they really care!!

#15 ·
yeah that was really nice of Martins

#16 · (Edited)
I've had excellent service with Martins & Elite Pets.I highly recommend both.

Lisa~ If I went with an aquarium,I would use a screen lid for ventilation.
I love the cages that you can join& add on to with tubes,but continuing to buy those would be costly.
I had my mice in a smaller hamster cage for a bit,but that cage leaked.I had no escapes with that one at all.& I housed them in that cage when they were the size they are now.Full grown& a bit on the beefy side :lol:
I wonder if I should ask them to do that modification (Martin's cages I mean) It's super sweet for them to do that if I still chose to go through with getting the topper.(They said they could do a 1/2 x 1/2)
My mice habitat would be housed on a table that they cant get off of.They sometime have "camp outs" on one of my shelves& they don't jump from such heights (I know they could climb if they had access to a table leg) but I'm still thinking,if I go with the aquarium topper,if they get out,they will be on a table :shrug: I also used to have mice living (full time) outside of a cage.(When I had lots of mice) & they lived their full life with no escapes or the like. I'm still thinking.

As I said,these mice I have now haven't escaped out of anything yet.
Not saying they never will.I only had problems with baby mice escaping from bars,with the exception of one cage I had that had huge spacing.

It's still a thought...

:edit: This is the one I was looking at: 10 gallon aquarium topper
I would cover the wire somehow though.In my rat cage I have carpet.I like my critters having something solid to walk on.
May use carpet for the mice too.But my rats are litter trained,mice aren't,so that might not be so good on my nose :lol: We'll have to see. :)

#17 ·
Vanilla_Rat said:
Oh,okay.The cages I use don't have wide bars,I am not sure the measurements,but adult mice cannot squeeze thru.Babies on the other hand...:rolleyes: I have also used those safari cages,but always seem to break them!I have one thats taken apart in my closet and am probably gonna get rid of it!

I use bins and hamster cages for my mice,because it is hard to find cages made for mice and like I mentioned,I hate housing mice in glass tanks,because they are hard to clean and don't have good ventilation.

Lis,if you want to get rid of any cages like that I'd be interested in buying them ;).
Just a heads up.

#18 ·
candyraver said:
Lis,if you want to get rid of any cages like that I'd be interested in buying them ;).
Just a heads up.
Oh cool.If I does decide to get rid of it,I will let you know.I am still undecided,as I may need it in the future.That happened before,I got rid of cages...and then a little while later needed them!

#25 ·
The only bad thing about any kind of wire cage or topper is that wild mice (which are much smaller than our domestic mice) can get IN your mouses cage with your mice and impregnate or even kill your pets. I have a close friend who had two female mice who were large enough not to get out of their wire cage get pregnant by a rogue wild mouse. It's really not safe to use any wire cages for mice simply for that fact even if your mice cant get out. It's especially dangerous in the winter months where the wild mice are coming indoors to seek warmth and shelter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.