Tell me about mice^^ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Hi! I am going to get mice soon and was wondering if you could tell me a little bit about them? I want to know anything and everything!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 11:42 PM
RAT ADDICT

Lets see...

Mice are very social.It is best to have at least two females.I have always kept groups of females and currently have 5 mice,all girls.Males are more solitary and often fight to the death.I have only successfully raised male littermates together,but even that can sometimes be hard.So I would say get either two females or one male...unless of course you can find a pair of males that already live together with no probs.

Mice do have an odor...males are worse then females.Even with frequent cage cleanings,you will smell the mice.But as I said...males are worse and females are actually not noticable,if you only have a couple.

They need a good cage...one with spacings they cannot get out of.Mice are escape artists.Many people use tanks or bins,as MOST cages with wire bars...mice manage to squeeze through.

They need a good litter/bedding.Pine and cedar is toxic...so avoid these.They contain phenols which will harm your little friends.Use aspen,Carefresh or Yesterdays News.I personally use aspen mixed with YN.

Hmmm...what else? What do you wanna know?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:10 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

^^ LIke Lisa said.

I keep 3 girlies in a tank and they can smell it up within a few days. You'll have to keep the tank clean so the ammonia doesn't build up.

If you get a male I would keep the cage cleaning to once a week even if they do start to smell a little because males scent mark and can stink up a cage as fast as you can clean it.

I think tanks are easier to clean if they're small ones.

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 07:38 AM

Already beat to it . I used to have quite a few mice (over 20 at one point) & I clean cages a lot,but you could notice a bit with that many mice (I had quite a few males,& as stated,they smell worse than females). Right now I have 2 females.Don't have an odor problem at all.
I don't find mice to be nippy like some hamsters can be...I actually can't remember ever being nipped by a mouse& They are very curious little critters as well.Oh& its so cute to watch when they try to run on the wheel at the same time!!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I have this cage for them -- do you think they will be able to slip through the bars? The whole cage is made out of bars including the 3 levels in the cage, will they break a leg climbing up the levels? Do they need any kind of special diet? Thanks again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hamstercage$$$ 001.jpg (43.9 KB, 3 views)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 12:59 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i had one mouse, she was called muffy. she was the coolest thing ever. i open the door, she walks right out on my hand to see me. she's come out whenever there was company to say hi. i know i only had one, but she lasted 3.5 years on my love alone. however if the should be in pairs, do that. i had a lot of free time to spend with her. when i ignored her she'd chew on her cage bars until i came over to her

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 02:14 PM

Wow I didn't realize mice were that intelligent. I didn't think they could get to know you and stuff. How easy are they to tame compared to rats? I know rats take quite a long time to give you trust(or at least from my exp they do!).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 04:19 PM

In my experience, mice take a lot longer to tame than rats do, but I'm sure Lisa could give you a better idea as she's had way more of each than I have.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 07:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyman
Wow I didn't realize mice were that intelligent. I didn't think they could get to know you and stuff. How easy are they to tame compared to rats? I know rats take quite a long time to give you trust(or at least from my exp they do!).
Yes,mice are very smart little animals.They are not as smart as rats,but they are close.You can train them little tricks,but it is harder to do so,then with a ratty.

As Katie said,mice can be harder to tame then rats.I actually find mice harder to tame,even if you handle them from birth.I have bred both rats and mice and rats are really easy.

I have 5 mice now and 4 of them will jump into my hands and come greet me at the cage door.The one tho has always been skitzy,since birth.I handled her since she was born and she still runs and hides.Every now and then,she will come to me herself...but most times not.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:24 PM

I agree mice are harder to tame than rats.
My mice were handled lots before I got them (Since I got them from Lisa So they were much tamer than the first mice I ever had,which came from a pet store ) But the rats I have now are the first rats I ever had & I'm comparing them to the mice I first got from a pet store& it only took a couple days for my rats to bond with me.& It took a tiny bit longer before my mice realized that I was a nice person& meant them no harm =P

I love both mice& rats though.I never want to be without either.Both have their perks!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 08:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyraver
I love both mice& rats though.I never want to be without either.Both have their perks!
Yes...your right about that!I personally prefer rats...but mice have their perks too!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Yes...your right about that!I personally prefer rats...but mice have their perks too!
I love rats, too, more than mice, although I love them both. My mom is freaked out my rats ( , I know, she's WIERD), though, so mice are as close as I can get
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 10:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

Many people are freaked out by rats...but once they meet a ratty,a domestic one...they usually change their minds.I have changed a few people's minds on rats...and am proud of that!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Many people are freaked out by rats...but once they meet a ratty,a domestic one...they usually change their minds.I have changed a few people's minds on rats...and am proud of that!
Maybe you could ship one to me and then after I convience my mom I will send it back? Just kidding.

Tags
cage bars, cage cleaning, pet store