Thanx for aggressive baby solution- But thought you should know Y I was EVER concern - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Lightbulb Thanx for aggressive baby solution- But thought you should know Y I was EVER concern

Thank you soo much for telling me that....In my many years of taking care of and raising ratties, I've never NEVER had a rat be aggressive... I used to always preach that rats were the LEAST aggressive rodents I've ever encountered (when I was a bit younger). The reason I was so worried about the random aggression is....back when I was around 12, I went to the pet store with my father (he was a "DIE-HARD" rat lover...he raised me like that) and at the store we were planning to pick out a new baby for one at home that was in need of company...What happened at that pet shop still haunts my father to this day...He had me put my hand in the cage to see which baby was the most friendly. One was obviously more friendly so I picked her up out of the tank and said "I think this one is perfect". My dad, who was the epitome of a true life-long rat lover, asked to see her. I handed him the sweet baby...and just as I handed her to him, she flew of his hand (out of fear from all the handling [from strangers]) and fell on the petshop floor. After she hit the floor, she froze, paralyzed for about 1 or 2 minutes... She was NOT okay...It caused brain damage..from that moment on, she acted strange and nervious. We went ahead and bought her because she was literally in shock from the fall so we couldn't just put her back [and wouldn't have even if we could]. She never acted normal (loving, trusting) again....and my dad's heart was broken. My dad is the quiet, wise kinda man...and I know never to bring that up because he looks incredable sad everytime he thinks about it. Anyways, I was just worried that "what if the people who had the babies before we bought them had dropped her, or what if one of their kids grabbed her to hard...because we do know that they had 2 or 3 young (ages 1 to 9) children who had access to the baby rats. I will definately try to be extra careful with the (more aggressive baby)...and I'm so happy you wrote me back because my inclination was to find her a different home, or at the least keep her separated from her siblings. Oh, and don't worry..In the next couple of days we're going to separate the [5 week old] brothers and sisters so theirs no horrible breeding nightmares. Anyways, THANK YOU ALL!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Glad to hear you're going to keep her!

That is a sad story that happened at the pet store, I've had a 3 week old baby jump out of my hand once, but he landed on the bed only about 6 inch fall and wasn't injured at all. So sorry you had to go through that, at least she was with people who cared a lot about her.

How many boys and girls are in this litter that you got? Can you post pics? I'd love to see them!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Talking Here's my babies...2 boys, 4 girls :D

I took a few pics for ya while I was cleaning their cage...so some of the pics were taken in the extra "waiting cage" and some pics I took in their FRESH and CLEAN cage. All the babies are brown except for one, she's mine (I claimed her), she's a hooded. They're soo sweet. Oh, and we haven't had any problems with the one that got aggressive (she's the lightest brown one), she's been a sweetie ever since. Anyways...here's some pics!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 143831.jpg (37.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 143720.jpg (34.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 131800.jpg (41.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 132626.jpg (53.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 134537.jpg (43.6 KB, 8 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:47 PM

Aww they are so cute! Congrats on your new ratties! Glad to hear that she has calmed down.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 12:58 PM

AWW that is so cute. X3

Tags
aggression