Are They Fighting or Loving? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Are They Fighting or Loving?

I am a new daddy with 2 Fancy Mice (1 Male and 1 Female) and I noticed that starting 2 nights ago (I got them Monday) Decibel (the female) will run up behind Smokey (the male) and bite/groom/snif/pinch/something his rump, which causes a round of squeeks and running around. Decibel chases after him, and does the same thing 2 or 3 times in a row. I don't really think they are mad at each other (they sleep together) and I havent noticed any blood. Can anyone else verify if this is normal?

Smokey is far more tame than Decibel (can hold him in my hand, pet him, etc) and Decibel is a LOT more energetic (when i reach in the cage she jumps OVER my hand)

If anyone would like to see them, I have a SMALL photo gallery at http://www.bellsouthpwp.com/b/e/bedavis/doc/mice.htm

I appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

............. are u trying to breed them? when i bred cocoa and blackjack he would do wut u were talking about and she would squeak and run away and of course he would chase her. so i think they just like eachother... how old r ur mice? they are so cute! if u are trying to breed them dont leave them together when she has the babies or he will most likely eat them............

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i would say its a dominace thing. my rats do that all the time. its sorta like playing but kinda to show whos the boss too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 03:28 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

I would say the same. Some little biting/nipping is very normal because mice commonly groom eachother! (it's very sweet ) Maybe they are grooming a bit too rough, and this may or may not be on purpose. As long as you cannot see any injury, then ratty is right - it is more likely a display of dominance. And they may stop this if they become better friends or if Decible gets more tame. It is safe, however. And good luck!

Also, are you a mouse breeder? Because I myself had a male and female together, but I soon removed them after I realized the responcibility and potential negative side effects dealing with a pregnant female. Unless you are well-informed (I am not saying you aren't ) and are prepared for as many as 20 pups, I would seperate while you still can, because mice are VERY fertile, and from a young age (5-6 weeks).

Good luck!

-Tare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 04:15 PM

lol thats right! cocoa got pregnant at 7 weeks....... probably earlier if i wouldve let her but i think 7 weeks is old enough......right TareG?

i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

OK - thanks for all the help. I consider my self pretty well-informed (ive read 90% of the posts here and spent better than 20 hours researching on the web, etc.) I might separate them if I can find a REALLY good home for Decibel, but I'm pretty sure I'll just keep them both. I appreciate everyone's help, and I hope to become a familiar face here in the future!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:51 PM

they dont mean give 1 away they mean buy it its own cage so they dont breed

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 05:56 PM

o and my the way love the names

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Adolescent Pup

you'd need to seperate them in their own cages or else you're going to have litter upon litter upon litter of 20+ baby mice. every time the mom gives birth, she can get pregnant again

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 03:21 PM
Adolescent Pup

Please read the post to all wanna be breeders and please seperate that girl! If you don't even have a cage to seperate her where are you gonna put 20 babies every 4 wks.? Also you hve to be very careful housing male mice together, if they start to fight they will need to be seperated, as they WILL fight ot the death. I have heard you generally cannot keep boys together and that it is rare, but there are surely people who know more about that than me. I am just making a suggestion.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 03:52 PM
Adolescent Pup

most of the time male mice WILL fight to the death. you can get them neutered, however.

some people will say you can keep males together if they grew up together.. no, sorry but once they hit a certain age they will fight (and fight to the death in MANY cases). I've only had two male mice get along together, and one was hand raised by me as a baby, while the other was a frizzle from a breeder.

you really shouldn't breed unless you have good homes lined up, and they come from a nice lineage from respectable breeders... otherwise you could wind up with MANY babies that have no homes, or wind up being fed to something inhumanely.... or just not cared for. then each male will eventually need to be kept seperate from the other males.... I took in a mess of mice once, a girl bought two mice (one male, one female).. they had babies. then had babies again after the first litter was weaned. I wound up taking them all in, and NONE found homes. they were all PEW, and I wound up with a 20 gallon long tank for the girls, and the boys were in a 55 gallon tank. they STILL fought despite many food bowls, water bowls, different wheels, hiding spots, etc. they were OK for a few months, but eventually they just started tearing at each other and I had to get each one their own tank... try having about 7 tanks, with one mouse in each.. pain to clean. at least there were more girls than boys born......

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

Thanks for the info and back up!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 05:09 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

If you are too attached to Decible to give her away, and yet relctant to put her in another cage (either because you don't have the resources or because you are sad to seperate them...and about the resources, that is perfectly understandable as they may be relatively inexpensive but they are still a cost!) then I think you may not be thinking this completely through. Because if it IS that you don't want to buy another cage/accessories, you are going to end up with 11+ new mice approximately every 21 days!!! And then you would NEED to get more materials anyway! Also, it is potentially harmful to Decible for her to undergo pregnancy and labor (she could die or be injred giving birth) and, in stressful situations, both the female or the male may eat the newborn pups! And I think that would make you feel hurt.
So for your own sake I say seperate them! And for Decible's sake it is a necessity!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Ok - thanks for all the info. I will go get a 2nd cage tommorrow and separate them.

Is it true that mice are social animals and will be depressed if caged alone? That was my main reason for not buying 2 cages in the first place. But I trust all of your knowledge over my own.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 07:29 PM
Adolescent Pup

I would definately sugaest getting decible a friend but as for the malle as Dragon said that may not be possible.

Tags
baby mice, cage mate, fancy mice, food bowl, food bowls, male mice, males together, social animals, water bowl