Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
5K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Kendalle 
#1 ·
I wondering just what I can safely feed the girls. Both of them came from Petco, so they basically lived off lab block. Since I've had them I've started adding peas, corn and tomatos to the their diet, now all they do is hide the lab block under the bedding and gorge on the vegie's, is that ok? I bought these yogurt bannana treats and use them as a training treat, but I've been reading that too much fruit can harm them? They did discover my daughters cheerios this morning lol, they were fighting over the last one hehe. Gosh I thought rats would be easier than my dogs, but I find myself worrying more about them. I guess with any animal it's a learning process. Molly still favors her cage, she'll do anything to get back in, Maizy on the other hand....I can't say enough about her. We had her out last night, she was exploring the couch when all of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see her bounding across the cusion with something green...yeah she thought my lighter would be a fun toy lol. She'll spend hours nibbleing on hubby's whiskers, and she knows the difference between my daughter and I. She knows Morgan (who is 4) would prefer to sit and pet her than to have her crawl all over the furniture, so she sits quietly in Morgan's lap, and when she's finished being petted she comes to find mommy lol. Molly has made it aparent she does NOT like Kaycee (our dog) if Kaycee gets to close Molly gives her a nip on the nose and a squeek that says "get away!" Lol you'd think I'd given birth to them the way I ramble on :D

See less See more
#3 ·
If they're eating lots of the veggies and ignoring their lab blocks you should only give them a very small amount of the veggies, once every two days or so, so they'll still get the nutrition they need from the blocks.

#4 ·
Forbidden Foods List

Basically, if it isn't on that list, they can eat it. Just keep in mind that all things should be given in moderation. The lab blocks really are a complete rattie diet as far as their nutritional needs are concerned.

If you feel that they just aren't interested in lab blocks at all, then I suggest the Suebee's Diet from the Rat's Rule webpage that pinkie posted.

#6 · (Edited)
I prefer mixes for rodents- lab blocks offer no mental stimulation- and rats especially get bored easily. They are easy to make- relatively inexpensive if you want it to be simple. Sue Bee's is similar to the mix I make- you can search for that.

Give your rats some crickets and mealworms and chicken bones. MMMM They will love you for it. The main things you should not feed are garlic, onion, chocolate, sodas, blue cheese. They can eat almost anything.

#7 ·
Well the lab blocks are good for them,but as others mentioned you can make your own mixture.Mine get the blocks and a seed mixture.

Chocolate IS NOT toxic to rats,but shouldn't really be fed to rats as it is sugary.However on special ocasions I do give mine a tiny piece.

I give mine tuna,crickets,chicken and cheese sometimes,not often,for protein and a little bit of variety.And sometimes dog biscuits for tooth care.
I also give mine cooked and dry pasta,bread,crackers,rice,veggies and fruit.

You will find that most rats are not picky at all and will eat everything,so you have to be careful...as not everything is good for them!Sugary things or carbonated drinks are a no-no.

#8 ·
Vanilla_Rat said:
Chocolate IS NOT toxic to rats,but shouldn't really be fed to rats as it is sugary.However on special ocasions I do give mine a tiny piece.[/COLOR]
It is generally best just to tell people not to feed chocolate. Where milk chocolate is not harmful, other types of chocolate in large chocolate to body weight ratios is very dangerous for any person or animal. I never assume that everyone knows or remembers later, there is a difference in chocolates.

#9 ·
jennawing said:
It is generally best just to tell people not to feed chocolate. Where milk chocolate is not harmful, other types of chocolate in large chocolate to body weight ratios is very dangerous for any person or animal. I never assume that everyone knows or remembers later, there is a difference in chocolates.
Yeah,I know...I just always say that it isn't toxic,as in some sites it says that feeding rats chocolate is toxic and will cause their heart to stop nad all of this other stuff.This is BS.Other then being too sugary,the most it will do is cause infertility in males (in large amounts).Thats why I add that.

#10 ·
I gave mine a granola bar with tiny peices of chocolate in it, not a lot and they loved it, but that was a long while ago, and they have not had it since. So they will get it but rarely, maybe on special ocassions!!

#11 ·
my rats are fed on their dry food and every second day or so i will give them some fruit such as strawberries, grapes, apple, peach and some veg like carrots, sweetcorn, peas. They also love scraps from the dinner table. Mine love a tiny pieces of fries as long as their is no vinigar on them, they will eat almost anything. Dried pasta is good too, and they do like dry roasted peanuts as a treat and sunflower seeds as a treat too, to much sunflower seeds can cause skin problems.

#17 ·
Rats are predators (of small things of course) in the wild and RELISH getting a live cricket or mealie. They can kill larger things, of course that's not something you'd want to allow as they don't need to eat something that big..but an adult rat (pet) has been known to kill things like pet birds (forget if a Cockatiel or Parakeet/Budgie?)..but they had a brief encounter and the rat quickly killed the bird, to the owner's dismay.
We used to mix Pretty Bird pellets, some human grade seed mixes, dry cereals,pastas,some dried veggies and beans..and dried fruits. That, and fresh fruits/veggies/little meat/cooked things from time to time...basically just a wide variety.

#18 ·
Yessum Fez,they will actually hunt out the crickets and eat them.A few times,the crickets would try and hide under something in the cage,but it wouldn't take long for the rats to sniff the crickets out and catch them.

I also noticed something really smart...they will eat the crickets head first,so the crickets won't put up a fight or bite or anything like that! It is kind of smart thinking when you think about it.

#20 ·
Vanilla_Rat said:
Actually too much protein in general can cause scabby skin and skin problems.
I am still battling this with my scofield. There is no happy medium for him. Really to get his scabs to go away I can't give him anything but lab blocks and the lab blocks have to be low in protein.

There is a dispute on my other forum about suebees...Really it's not a balanced diet. A lab block should be part as well (Like mixed with the suebees)

#21 ·
Vanilla_Rat said:
Yessum Fez,they will actually hunt out the crickets and eat them.A few times,the crickets would try and hide under something in the cage,but it wouldn't take long for the rats to sniff the crickets out and catch them.

I also noticed something really smart...they will eat the crickets head first,so the crickets won't put up a fight or bite or anything like that! It is kind of smart thinking when you think about it.

Jack ate a stink bug one night. He bit into in before I could get it away from him. I had to give him lots of water and snacks because I'm sure it BURNED.

#22 ·
pinkie1205 said:
Jack ate a stink bug one night. He bit into in before I could get it away from him. I had to give him lots of water and snacks because I'm sure it BURNED.
Awww...poor thing.That musta been nasty!

Yeah,I heard that Suebee's mix is not very good.I started my mix off like hers at first,but have since changed it a little bit.They get lab blocks (Nutriblock) too tho,plus all kinds of other stuff in between,like veggies and fruit and that kind of thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.