Thinking about getting a mouse! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thinking about getting a mouse!

Hey everyone..
I have had my two rats for about 5 months now and I'm super happy with them I was at the petstore a couple of days ago and they had the cutest baby mice there and they just stole my heart! Now I was just wondering.. Do mice need as much attention as rats do? I will of course, if I get them, spend as much time with them as possible but because my rats do need a lot of attention and free ranging I was just wondering if mice are similar to that? Also, if I were to get them I would really like to make them a big bin cage because it will fit better within my budget..any suggestions or ideas about that? Also, I would really like to get two girls because I heard that they smell less and because I already have rats in my room I don't want the smell to be too bad..I'm really just hoping that someone could give me some advice about getting mice and maybe share some tips or things I have to take into account before buying them. (should I get 1,2,3?)
Thanks for all the help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 03:54 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi Rom,

Unfortunately, I have no experience with mice as I have never had them before, but hopefully you will get some great tips on mice here from some people who have had them before.

In the meantime, I would suggest you do as much research as possible to learn what you can about them. Internet searches on mouse care, etc. and/or books and so forth. I know internet research is much more popular these days than books, but boy did I learn a ton about rats by researching them in current, up to date books at the library.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-29-2012, 09:16 PM
canis lupus familiaris

mice are polar opposites. Someone once told me "If you like rats, you won't like mice." They were right. Mice are fun to watch though...running in their wheels and such. Males smell though.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksheep View Post
mice are polar opposites. Someone once told me "If you like rats, you won't like mice." They were right. Mice are fun to watch though...running in their wheels and such. Males smell though.
Then I am odd, I love rats, and I do like mice, but don't have them very often as I prefer to keep just one species here to concentrate on. Plus a rat will kill a mouse if they get a hold of it, which would be devastating.

Some mice are super nice but some are very skittish and will bite, making cage cleaning, etc difficult. They have different requirements and generally don't live as long as rats. They also can die suddenly even younger ones (around a year), or they can develop sad conditions and will need vet care. They also get URI's , tumours, etc so will potentially need the same vet care as a rat, even though they are smaller, they deserve it just as much.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-30-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm probably going to get 3 feeder mice because any future I give them will be better than the one they had in store so yeah. I was just wondering..what are the minimum measurements for a cage with 3 mice in it? Im looking around everywhere but all the cages seem so small
My rats wont be able to be near them because I have a play area for my rats which is closed off from the main part of my room. Also I won't have the mice on me while I interact with the rats. Vet bills are not a problem thanks for the advice so far
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-05-2013, 12:11 AM
Newborn Pup

I've had pet mice (briefly) in the past and they are very cute, entertaining and fun to watch but not at all interactive like rats. A rat wants to play with you. A mouse wants you to leave it alone and will never want to be picked up or cuddled. It might tolerate it but it will never enjoy it and most downright hate it. Mice do not need anywhere near as much attention as rats do because, frankly, they don't usually like you although they may like any treats you bring enough to take them from your hand. Of course you'd need to have time to clean their cage (much more frequently than a rat's cage as mice are very odorous and not typically obliged to pick a corner as a bathroom like most rats.)

Mice do not require as fancy an environment or as many toys as a rat and for 3 mice something like a 20 gallon long aquarium is ideal. A ten gallon is adequate. Unlike for rats, an aquarium is sometimes preferable for mice as not only can they slip out of almost any cage somehow but they also love to burrow (or maybe it was just my pair? They were like prairie dogs.) and a tank can have the deeper substrate they prefer without it ending up all over the floor. There is no mouse on Earth that doesn't love a running wheel as well and they also love cardboard tubes and paper to nest with. But a mouse doesn't constantly need new enrichment like a rat does because, although smart in their own way, they aren't nearly as bright as a rat.

Never allow a mouse to run out of its cage on the floor like a rat. A rat, if startled, will run to you for comfort. A mouse will run down a vent or under a couch and never come out.

And not all rats kill mice. The only two pet mice I ever had actually one night escaped and headed straight for the rat's cage (with 5 adult males inside). The two little mice went right in and when I woke up they were happily munching away at the food together. The rats couldn't care less about them, although they were quickly removed anyway.

Last edited by Hidden Walrus; 01-05-2013 at 12:17 AM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 06:15 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you! I made a bincage this past week for the mice to live in! I went to the petstore the other day where I will most likely buy them (they are in contact with some people who breed mice as a hobby, so no mass production and mistreatment) and they had new baby rats. There was this one female who was sitting in a corner all by herself and she seemed very sad. When I put my hand under her, she did move away but quite slowly and when I pulled my hand away she would crawl right back into that corner and just sit there. All her sisters were walking around and when I tried to pick them up they would jump off of my hand very quickly. I feel super sorry for the one sad rat because I'm almost sure it was sick. Her eyes were only half open and I was just wondering if I should get her instead of the mice. The problem is, i already have two male rats and it will be impossible to put them together because my males are not nuetered and that will not end well. Also, I wont be able to get two because of the lack of room. I have a very large bin cage now, but it will not be big enough to house two rats. Can a rat even live in a bin cage (it has several levels). I just don't really know what to do so any advice is appreciated. I don't want the rat to sit there and be sick all alone until its too old to be sold as a pet and then be sold as food
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh my goodness, I feel for you because I know if I saw a single ratty looking sad in a corner at a pet shop I would take it home with me so fast. I understand your dilemma. Probably why I stay away from pet stores, as I would want to adopt any and all poor babies that I see in there. This is quite a dilemma, I know.

If you want to help that single rat and your gut is telling you to take her, then that is very understandable, but only you can make that choice, and you are right, she would not be able to be with your two boy rats unless you were able to get them neutered.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I'm seriously considering getting her and just give her loads of attention I wish I had more room so I could buy her and a sister but I can't do that right now. So sad And I know that rats can chew through plastic easily so im not sure about my cage options either
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, that's a hard call to make.

I know you can always get another cage that is spacious enough for a single ratty and would not take up too much space, but of course I understand how you also feel about keeping a single ratty with no companion. This is a hard decision. And I understand the urge to want to take this little girl home with you after seeing her at the pet store looking so sad in that corner. That would just kill me. I guess you need to just look at the pros and cons at what would be better or worse for her?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Newborn Pup

Getting mice

I have 3 mice in a 10 gallon with 2 nest boxes and a Ware Wheel. The Ware Wheel is my favorite. All 3 can run on it at once. Mice should live in groups of 3 to be happy. When in a group they bond with each other rather than you, but are very fun to watch. Actually my dog and cat love to watch them too. I'm weird. I only put material in half the tank. They go in the opposite corner-very easy to see and clean up. (I'm a stay at home mom.)
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Newborn Pup

I'm using that exact mouse and i love it. the one thing is i tend to tap on my mouse when im thinking

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 11:59 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Felister, I did not understand your post? You are "using" a mouse and you tap on a mouse when you are thinking? What exactly are you referring to? I am a bit confused.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Cocks head and eyes Felister odd post and others which are similarly quirky. Suddenly I'm suspecting spambot.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I now have 2 mice as of 2 weeks ago. They are both males.

I took in the last of this horrible young girl's pets (Simon and Maggie, Loki and Dashi wer hers as well. This time I took in a sickly dwarf hamster, and 4 mice.

The hamster, Belle, was taken in by my vet clinic, where they will remove her damaged eye, and rehome her to one of the staff. The 2 little girl mice went home last week to the vet tech who adopted their messed up but sweet sister (RIP), took in Dad and had him neutered.

This left me with 2 boy mice.

Boy 1 is Stuart. He's a doll, smells very little and is a lot like a miniature rat. He is just like his mom Dashi (who I took in when she was sick, got her better, fell in love, then she developed an abdominal mass. I was devastated when she passed. Stuart has a URI I am treating but he is so good about his meds

Boy 2 is Dudley-Do-Bite the 2nd. He was terrified of hands and would bite them if grasped. Duds is a typical male mouse, very stinky and he actually smells like shrimp. He had a foot injury from when the girl's drunk father was carrying the cages (to the garage?!) and fell over his girlfriend.
Dudley started off petrified, but going slowly, and giving him his very first wheel helped a lot.

Then I started working with him. We now have a method where he crawls from the cage door to my arm, and then comes Out...he practically dives on my arm now. He's become sweet, I kiss and pathim all the time...he's really come around.

The cages for them aren't that special but as a rat rescuer, most of my cages have bigger bar spacing. I am lookin gfor another cage that looks like Stuart's for Dudley, but for now it will have to do...better than a snake's tum as that's where they were heading if I didn't take them.

Dudley's cage

Stuart's cage

BUT a local hammock maker is sending me a whole set of tiny mouse-sized hammocks for the boys, so I'll be sure to post them later on

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
mouse questions