thinking of getting a rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

View Poll Results: are rats good pets
yes 10 83.33%
not that bad 1 8.33%
no 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Lightbulb thinking of getting a rat

I am thinking of getting a rat give me some pros and cons of ownig a rat please.

MATT SIMPSON (RATMAN)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Talking

I think rats are excellent pets! I compare them to tiny dogs except even better because they are quite, don't dig holes, poop small... I think just about anyone can successfully keep rats, they're very easy to care for and they are so loving and smart! The downside is that they don't live long, I think 2-3 years is normal and they are very prone to getting tumors (females more than males). If you do go with rats, I suggest getting more than one of the same sex, they are very playfull and like to have friends.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Playful Pup

I have guinea pigs, rabbits, a degu, hamsters, mice and rats.

Out of all of them, I have to say rats are the best pets! They don't bite unless scared/provoked and are very very smart! They also enjoy your company, unlike my degu, mice and hamsters! My guinea pigs and rabbits seem to like my company, but my rats seek me out to sit on my lap and see what I'm doing! I hope to always have rats as pets.

Becki covered the other pros and cons...

Buns

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:00 AM
Loopy AppleNose

Wow, I was about to say all of the things that Waggie and Becki said. Too late! Well, I would defenitely suggest a rat. They live longer than mice, I believe. It's been a while since I kept rats, though.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. (1 Corinthians 13:4)

Currently reading: Light in August by William Faulkner
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2003, 10:01 AM
Kellz625

Rats are great pets. I have 5 rats and have had them for the past 5 years (not all the same ones of course) You should get two though, rats do better in pairs and can get really lonely by themself.

http://www.ratsrule.com/ratcare.html

Here's a helpful link. ; )

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2003, 08:31 PM
Newborn Pup

Rats make excellent pets. I had a black one named Hilda and she was so tame. I would carry her around the house on my shoulder. Then i got a cream one and my hubby had put the cages on top of each other. The cream one attacked Hildas tail and bitten it real bad, she lost all her balance and had to be put down by the vet.

Tracey....

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 08:24 PM
Indecision Queen

I love my girls! I have two hairless females and they are great. I read some where that hairless tend to have more personality that haired but I wouldn't go that far, I had three haired girls first and they weren't near as fun as my girls are now. We get the girls out of they cage and they'll chase you around the room and play wrestle with my hands and one of them Biggles, she's the smaller one, she fiesty and if you growl at her she'll climb all the way up to your face just to stick her nose in your ear and nibble your cheek and run off!
I would definetly say get a rat but like everyone said, make it a pair they do much better
angelaT

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2003, 09:13 PM
Beanie Fanatics Anonymous Member

i personally don't own one, but i know people that do and they LOVE them!! i wanted one, but decided on chinnies instead. not that i wouldn't have one cause i would! i think they are so cute, but i liked the chinnies super soft fur!

I Love You Logan & Cledus!!!

Logan Indy Ping-Pong Pinkerton Gissa Cledus

Tags
guinea pig