For those who responded to New Plan For Mouse Test... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Red face For those who responded to New Plan For Mouse Test...

Ok, First of all I want to thank you all for being soooo helpful. If it weren't for you guys I'd have no way of doing this the right way at all. Now as for the scholarship requirements, they really don't list any limits, I think I'll probably contact them just in case, but all they say is that it has to be a research project in science, math, engineering, or technology. So I don't see why they'd have a problem with itsy bitsy mice, I mean if I were going to do anything big and potentially dangerous then yes, I'm sure they'd veto that, but I'll make sure just in case. The information for the scholarship is due on October 1 so I have plenty of time, but I knew I'd run into some obstacles once I finally decided what I was going to do and I was right, lol! As for finding a breeder, "Mousey" said she knew of a few breeders in California that she could get me the information for (Thanks Mousey). Also there is a company outside of the US that specifically sells inbred and outbred mice, but its a lab and I really don't want to do that if I don't have to because that seems to me like I'm encouraging the process, which I think is wrong. I do plan on keeping the inbred and outbred mice together, because its more their natural genetics I'm studying so I don't see any reason to seperate them other than when I'm doing the actual testing. I know that just a few mice will not provide completely conclusive results but the idea of four mice that could possibly escape is already taxing my mom so I'm just going to have to do my best to think of a lot of tests that could provide pretty definite results. Right now I have three tests already planned out. The first is for cooperation and what it is is there will be a wooden box divided in half with a little gate seperating them. There will also be a little square box that they can step up on to. I'll put two of the mice (one kind at a time) in the box and show them that when I put them both on the box the gate opens leading to the tasty treat on the other side. Then I'll be able to see if not only they make the connection but if they'll be willing to work together to open the gate. For memory I'll be using the classic maze test in which I'll show the mice how to get through it then I'll let them do it on their own. Then I will slowly lengthen the time in between their maze runs in order to see how long they can remember the correct pathway. Then to test ability to learn I'll use the same box that I used for the cooperation test but without the little "touch" box. For this test I will just put the mouse in the non-food side of the box with two or three objects. I will have one object designated as the "touch" object. I'll just let the mouse wander around and whenever she touches the designated object I'll open the gate for her. Then after letting her eat her miniscule little treat (don't want to spoil her appetitie, lol) I'll put her back in the other side and see if she is able to make the connection between touching that specific object and the gate being opened. These are only three tests, but I want as many as possible in order to provide a more realistic view of the mouse population in general. So do me a favor and think about those cute little things your mice do and just think about how those behaviors might be transformed to test intelligence. That would help me soooooo much. After all I am just in high school and I live in the middle of nowhere (basically the mojave desert) so I'm up to me knees in questions. Once again thanks for all your help, I'm really glad I found this website.
Thanks,
Amber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 01:03 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I feel like I've entered an alternate reality where all the smurfs have sworn of smurfing and are guitarring instead. Love me some spam in the afternoon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Zoologist,
What about doing some testing on baby humans instead? They can't talk yet to give you their opinion on whether or not they want to be part of a lab research session, same as the mice.

Yes, Story, I loves me some spam in the afternoon too.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:03 PM
Official Loofah Tester

The Zoologist post is several years old. The reason this thread is to the top of the rat forum is because a spambot resurrected this thread from the 'bottom of the bbs'. The spambot had this long rambling post in incoherent spamblish where they inserted out of order reference with advice about up keeping and playing your guitar, likely with links to a guitar site.

The guitar post and spambot have been deleted by our mods. Which of course serves to make my snarky smurf reply make no sense.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

OH! Ha ha, I had no idea it was an old post! Check the dates on posts Vladdie.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Official Loofah Tester

hehe