For those of you with breeding genetics experience... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

For those of you with breeding genetics experience...

What color possibilities would I have in mating a black hooded female with a full cream-colored male?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:31 AM
Adolescent Pup

i dont have experience with rat genitics but when my girl had babies we got a load of different colours.

Tina was a red eyed beige and cream colour and basil is a brown and white dumbo.

This is the selection that we got...

its a bowl of ratties - i noticed you replyed to my topic about this picture. this gives you an idea that you would probably get a good mixture, all these babies were handled every day and they have all turned out fine. good luck and let us know how you get on.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:44 AM Thread Starter

Ah excellent. Thanks for the info =]. I love those rats that have white streaks down the middle of their heads...looks like you have both black and beige/cream colorings in that pattern. Good litter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 03:58 AM

AWH.. so want a pair of rattie girls rightnow. that picture is adorable.
Depends whats in the background too. What they can throw. Would help to know that info. Granted, it's been years since i bred rats.. so have forgotten most of my rat genetics. But the ones I bred were specific colors, with a long line of that color..so easy to predict.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 10:33 AM

I don't know anything about rat genetics... but here is a page that might help you.

http://ratbreeding.com/Genetics-Engine.htm

you can check the colors of your rat, and put the colors on the engine and get how many colors you'll have

However, as Amanda said, it depends on what is on the background. For example, I took the the example of April's rats... from what she said, I'm assuming that mom was a beige and dad was an agouti. I put those 2 colors on the engine, and it says that they are supposed to have 100% agouti.

However, looking at the results, this is not correct... so, dad, being agouti (all dominant) must carry non-agouti (a) and red-eye (r), so I marked that on the engine and it turned out to be 25% agouti, 25% black, 25% fawn and 25% beige... which seems to be what she has there on the babies. 8)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 02:39 PM
Will It Ever Change?

from being a bio geek, i know genetics, but i've never bred before. judging by the bowl o' babies, the red eyed cream is dominant and the brown is recessive, so that's a 2:1:1 ratio for babies. call red eyed cream A, and brown b, well, if it's dominant it's capital, if it's recessive its' lower case. so your cream parent is probably AA since there's so many cream babies. if she was Ab, there'd be more of a 50/50 split. I can't draw a gene box or this would be so much easier.....

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
from being a bio geek, i know genetics, but i've never bred before. judging by the bowl o' babies, the red eyed cream is dominant and the brown is recessive, so that's a 2:1:1 ratio for babies. call red eyed cream A, and brown b, well, if it's dominant it's capital, if it's recessive its' lower case. so your cream parent is probably AA since there's so many cream babies. if she was Ab, there'd be more of a 50/50 split. I can't draw a gene box or this would be so much easier.....
That would work if rat hair color was dictated by 1 gene... but it is actually dictated by several genes... I can't name them cause I don't know them... lol but the "brown" of the babies is agouti, which is the wild color and dominant. Agouti rats have black eyes, which is also dominant (making red eyes recessive). So, the agouti rat must be A*R* (A=agouti, R=black eyes)

The beige, I'm guessing (from what I saw at the genetics calculator website) is non-agouti red-eyed, making her aarr (a=non-agouti, r=red eyes). If these parents had beige and fawn babies (note that the "beige babies have 2 different tones, making them 2 different colors) and black and agouti babies, then the agouti dad must carry those genes (making him AaRr)

If we combine the parents AaRr x aarr (doing the punnet square... lol) we would get 25% AaRr (agouti), 25% Aarr (fawn.. which would be agouti red-eyed, and the red eye gene dilutes the fur color too), 25% aaRr (black, non-agouti black eyes) and 25% aarr (beige, non-agouti red eyes, again the red eyes diluting the fur from black to beige).

Of course, these 2 are not the only genes in rats... check the page, there's a couple more and the combination of those genes is what makes the color of a rat's coat. (I personally like the C series... a they create a bunch of cool dilutions including siamese and hymalayan)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Will It Ever Change?

fascinating!! but, i'm more of a personality person

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Tags
black hooded, red eyes