Thought of yet another question... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thought of yet another question...

I thought of another question, that I'm hoping someone with more "mousey" experience can help me with.

My mouse that had babies is a really beautiful chocolate (with dark eyes). Have no idea what the daddy of her babies was. Here are my questions:

1) So this may sound stupid but I really don't know - can a momma mouse have babies in the same litter with more than one daddy?

2) Of the 8 babies, 1 is black w/dark eyes, 1 is brownish w/dark eyes, and one is brown/white w/dark eyes. The others are some form of (no actual white ones at all) creme, or butterscotch kind of a color even, with pink eyes.
Is this caused by an albino gene? Does this mean the daddy was white?
Is this good or bad? (Any genetic experts out there?)

Oh, btw, I've got 5 females and 3 males.

Thanks...Again...

Charlotte
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

i bred my black mousie cocoa w blackjack my other black mousie hoping they would all b black........... only 2 are and the rest r tan and white and black and white............ i guess that pink eyes is most popular eye colour or something:p i have 9 male mice and 5 females and theres way more pink eyes than black............ now this litter..... 6 pink eyes and 4 black
out of 24 mice in total only 4 have black fur.................

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 09:27 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Well.. I'm no expert in mice genetics, but I know a bit... your questions:

Quote:
1) So this may sound stupid but I really don't know - can a momma mouse have babies in the same litter with more than one daddy?
Yes, she can. If when she was in heat, there was more than 1 male with her, and they all mated with her, she can have babies from all the males than mated with her.

Quote:

2) Of the 8 babies, 1 is black w/dark eyes, 1 is brownish w/dark eyes, and one is brown/white w/dark eyes. The others are some form of (no actual white ones at all) creme, or butterscotch kind of a color even, with pink eyes.
Is this caused by an albino gene? Does this mean the daddy was white?
Is this good or bad? (Any genetic experts out there?)
Mice genetics are a bit complex. There are several genes that control different characteristics of the color of a mouse. I don't know all the genes, as I don't breed mice, but there's 1 gene, P, that codes for eye color. Dominant P gives black eyes (so babies with black eyes are either PP or Pp) and recessive p gives ruby eyes (pp). Animals with ruby eyes tend to have some vision problems, but nothing serious. Also, this gene has some effect in fur color. For example, you won't see a black mouse with ruby eyes, cause when a mouse has the genetic combination to be a black, exept that has pp that codes for ruby eyes, this gene dilutes fur color to lilac (gray). So the gene that controls eye color also dilutes the fur color. About albinism, well.. there's a series of genes, called the c series, that appears in several animals like mice, rats, cats and gerbils. These control albinism, and have some rare effect in fur color. There are several different genes in the different animals that I mentioned to you. I know these in gerbils, so excuse me if I explain them to you how they appear in gerbils, cause I don't know them in mice. In the c series there are various genes present that have different effects. The dominant C gives full color. The recessive c is the albino gene (cc to be albino). The albino gene doesn't appears in gerbils, but it does in mice. Then, there are 2 genes that are co-dominant, c(h) and c(b). c(b) is the himalayan gene. It codes for a type of fur that is temperature dependant. This means that at higher temperatures, the fur color will be lighter, while at lower temperature it causes the fur color to be darker. This causes the fur to be lighter in the hotter parts of the body, and darker on the cooler parts of the body (or points). This is the pattern seen in the siamese animals. the c(h) gene is a diluting gene, so when it's present, it makes the fur look lighter.

All in all, the color of the offpring a pair of mice gives doesn't necesarilly has to do with the color of the parents, but the genes that they have present. As and example I'll set my gerbils (sorry, but that's what I know). I have a breeding pair that consists of a slate female (slate is a blueish black color) with a dove male (dove is diluted lilac, a light grey with ruby eyes). They have black, slate, lilac, dove and ruby eyed white babies. This means that they share some recessive genes, that code to other colors different than slate and dove.

Also, in mice there are other white colors that are not necesarily albino. If two albino mice mate, all the offspring will be albino, cause the cc gene blocks out any other gene combination, and if both are albino, both have cc and there's no way that a dominant C could appear to give a mouse of full color. Now, if you mate 2 white mice, and they have at least 1 baby that's other color not albino, then, at least 1 of your white mice is not an albino, but has other genetic combination that gives a white color.

I hope all that I wrote made sense to you.. lol

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:21 AM
I Own an Egg Pooper

Ditto to padfoot! hehe

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Wow Padfoot! I had NO idea it was so complex. Thanks so much for your explanation! I have SO much to learn about mice ... I never thought that at 30 I'd be getting googly eyes over baby mice! :-)

Thanks again!

Charlotte

Tags
baby mice, breeding pair, male mice, ruby eyed white