Timmy not taking to Kenny - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

Timmy not taking to Kenny

So the boys have had a good 5-6 playdates now, and every one, no matter how long, or how i sit or stand, is a battle. Timmy just backwards karate kicks and butt checks kenny everywhere. its really funny but then someone gets made and it gets out of hand and i have to step in. I know its rough fighting because kenny got bit today on his back, i saw i little blood on his white fur. No cages involved, also no bathtub at my disposal. Any suggestions for bonding....like involving food or something? I could swear timmy's just dying to play, but i can't tell since it accelerates. it could be timmy playing too rough, or kenny just not liking timmy? gah so many possibilities

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 AM
laugh often

how long have the boys been apart? sometimes when male mice are seperated for a little while they can never be kept with other male mice from there on out. if the bleeding gets worse or stays consistent maybe either stop all play dates or try to slow them down a bit or try to put them on a harness and have them walk together that may or may not help
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:50 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

How are you doing intro's? Any neutral territory will work as long as neither of them regularly play there. Put down a big plate of something liquidy and yummy, so they have to stay and eat it. Let them eat it beside each other and the longer they stay together without aggression the better. Take it slow.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

oooh good idea with the food. yes we always play in the bathroom, it's the only real confined space i have. they run and chase each other. thanks everyone

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:41 AM
RAT ADDICT

How are they doing?
I always introduce new rats on my bed or in the bathroom and normally things go well.Good luck!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

they've always met together in teh bathroom. today i used a saucer of milk and BOOM right away things calmed down. as of now they've been together in peter's cage almost 4 hours, and only 2 squabbles. i just call timmy a few times and he backs off, he's SO well behaved. I'm watching CLOSE, but things dont' seen to be a problem...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:53 AM
RAT ADDICT

Thats a good sign then! I am sure they will be best buds in no time!

* Lisa *

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

so you figure it's safe for me to let them stay together overnight whiel i sleep? i dont' want to start thsi process again tomorrow....

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:00 AM
RAT ADDICT

If they are fine now,they probably will for the rest of the night.If you hear any signs of fighting,then yes you will have to seperate them.They might have a few little squabbles to determine dominance...but otherwise they should be fine!

Also you can tell by their body language.If any of them get all "spikey looking" (as I call it) and puffs up their fur to look bigger,walks sideways toward the other,huffs...things like that,it might mean a fight is going to break out.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:04 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

okay thanks. the only sign that you listed, is the sideways walking, timmy does TONS of that. i think it's funny looking, like he's ninja kicking (i know and i do separate). i'll separate them overnight, but man i don't see why he's being a jerk and not liking peter *sigh*

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:10 AM
RAT ADDICT

Your welcome!

Yeah,the sideways walking is quite humorous.I find it silly too!My males sometimes do it to eachother when I have them all roaming in the bathroom...

Don't worry,Timmy will accept the new guy soon.It takes time,but from what you said...how they are getting along pretty well now,it seems to be going really,really well.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Will It Ever Change?

thanks! my concern is the sideways walking. it's almost ALL timmy did up until last night with the mil dish....and he's done it a few times to peter while in the cage, so i did separate overnight. today we'll work on it some more. thanks for telling me rat angry signs, i had no idea what to look for. i had no idea thw sideways walking was a bad thing, cause it's sure funny

Tags
male mice