Timothy hay? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Timothy hay?

So I put in timothy hay often for my hamsters, especially pregnant/nursing ones.

I gave a few strands to my rats, all of them scattering about the cage to find more. They really like it. I noticed SweetPea was really found of bunching it up and gnawing on it.

But I have to ask since this is not a staple in the rat diet, how does a rat go about digesting timothy hay? Would it help shorten rats teeth? Im sure everything has a point of detruction in rats digestion system, so since they really like this hay can I keep giving it to them as treats? If so how much is ok?

Also, what about things like rose hips and timothy hay pellets/cakes?

SweetPea hit a growth spurt...hes twice the size of what he was a week ago and his fuzzy chocolate fur is being replaced by silky black threads. His teeth are ok but no exception to the growth spurt. Hes never liked chewing on woods either. I was hoping the hay would help too.

Last edited by bokuza; 07-24-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
So I put in timothy hay often for my hamsters, especially pregnant/nursing ones.

I gave a few strands to my rats, all of them scattering about the cage to find more. They really like it. I noticed SweetPea was really found of bunching it up and gnawing on it.

But I have to ask since this is not a staple in the rat diet, how does a rat go about digesting timothy hay? Would it help shorten rats teeth? Im sure everything has a point of detruction in rats digestion system, so since they really like this hay can I keep giving it to them as treats? If so how much is ok?

Also, what about things like rose hips and timothy hay pellets/cakes?

SweetPea hit a growth spurt...hes twice the size of what he was a week ago and his fuzzy chocolate fur is being replaced by silky black threads. His teeth are ok but no exception to the growth spurt. Hes never liked chewing on woods either. I was hoping the hay would help too.
Rats brux to keep their teeth ground down and don't actually need anything to chew. Its more for mental stimulation since rats love to chew

The only issue with hay is that they can spear an eye with those stalks and you could have an injury. I just prefer not to use it. But if you want to, go ahead, your rat seems to enjoy it.
they aren't really digesting it, more chewing it...there's not much nutritive value in hay for a rat.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

:C SweetPea doesnt seem to be shortening his. they keep growing and it might be time to see a vet if he doesnt shorten them soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokuza View Post
:C SweetPea doesnt seem to be shortening his. they keep growing and it might be time to see a vet if he doesnt shorten them soon.
Does Sweetpea have malocclusion? His upper and lower incisors don't line up properly? This woudl cause uneven grinding and the teeth would grow even more crooked. IF a tooth has no opposing tooth lined up with it, it will grow insanely fast and he will need teeth trims for sure.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 10:21 AM
Rodentologist

I'd recommend giving them orchard over timothy as it is not as stalky and you'll run into less eye gouging problems than with the timothy.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
Does Sweetpea have malocclusion? His upper and lower incisors don't line up properly? This would cause uneven grinding and the teeth would grow even more crooked. IF a tooth has no opposing tooth lined up with it, it will grow insanely fast and he will need teeth trims for sure.
Im not sure about his alignment, but his bottom teeth have a gap?
I know the bind is fibrous but the gap was a bit big and was red when i first got him.
It looked damaged, maybe by the seed mix they were feeding him.

Ive already had a vet take a look at his teeth, the vet sees nothing wrong except the gap is a wide to him and he think when he was a baby he damaged it a tiny bit.
Other than a little gap there isnt anything wrong.
I was told if the gap got any bigger/irritated or after he hits about 1 1/2 he might need surgery.
We were sent home with kind of a "if you see anything wrong bring him back right away but he should be fine".

Ive been watching it too, its the same size, not red or bloody and has looked fine since the vet visit.
Maybe it hard for him to grind his teeth because of the gap? If thats the case can I take him to get trimmed every time they get long? I wouldnt mind that...

Last edited by bokuza; 07-26-2009 at 03:03 PM.