Toy suggestions for new cage - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Toy suggestions for new cage

I already have some small plastic cat balls and apple orchard sticks.

I ordered these..

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753513

http://www.petco.com/product/9591/Su...uddle-Cup.aspx (2 of these)

I read that rats like to play with toilet paper rolls so I have one of those saved and I have one in the cage with Daisy. She seems to like it.

What else do you suggest? This is the cage I'm getting..

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753352

So, I want to fill it up with a lot of toys and stuff for them to do so Lily will hopefully stop biting Daisy.

Nothing too expensive. I don't have that much money.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

I'm gonna get a training clicker and teach them to come when called.. and after that, just try to teach them tricks. Do rats get too old to learn tricks? They're not even a year old yet.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 AM
laugh often

I get some hemp rope and a tennis ball. Poke a hole in the tennis ball and cut a long piece of hemp rope and tie some knots at the end then take a pen or somthing, I use chop sticks and push the knotted end into the hole you cut in the tennis ball. Pull the rope to make sure it's secure and tie it to the top of the cage. My rats lone it. Also if you get some scrap fabric you can braid it hiding little treats in it here and there and then throw it in the cage for the rats to try and find the treats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea, but that sounds too big for the cage I'm getting.

Any other suggestions?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:04 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

looking great, wonderfully colourful things your going to be adding to the cage, I think you should get one of those igloo house things if you've seen them before, they are great!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Lovely cage ,
What i have in mine is an old shoe/trainer and they sleep in it but watch incase yours are chewers and there aint anything on the shoe that can harm them.
Also i rip bits of paper and tissue up and put it all over the cage and watch them making there beds and fight over it LOL !

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Will It Ever Change?

i like to raid my recycle bin. cereal boxes, kleenex boxes, any box! can be cut to shape as you would like it. i also use pringles containers (washed) as tubes. cut up old clothes as blankies. my boy uses some of this cloth to 'bury' his food, he shoves it in his bowl lol. also, if you have any baskets leftover from easter, they are fun. ones with handles can be strung from something, ones without are just fun to jump in! last night i gave my timmy the paper bag that potatoes come in. i cut a hole in the bottom. so it's a BIG play tube that makes some crinkling noise, he likes it!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan

Last edited by mulder; 05-05-2008 at 08:09 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I got a bunch of toys and three things for them to go into and I'm getting some toys and the cage in the mail. If I feel like I need more after I have the cage and all the toys in it, I'll get more.. but I think I have enough.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Mousey, the tennis ball idea is genius! I've never heard of that before! I'm gonna try it.

Tessa, that cage is pretty big. The girl I got my new boys from had the entire litter living in that cage with plenty of room to spare. I actually considered getting it because it's about a foot wider than the one my big boys are in. The tennis ball idea would fit comfortably in that cage =).