training tips - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Question training tips

I have been trying to litter train my rats. And they don't seem to be getting it. I have no idea how long this should take or anything.. Also every time I open their cage door they try to get out and crawl all over me at once. At first this was cute now and still is but it can be aggraviating for me is there a way I can train them to stay if so how?any input would be greatly appreachiated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 07:58 PM
Adolescent Pup

Are you making sure you're putting the dirty litter in the litter box? They have to smell where they should go.

My European Black Bear hamster did it for a while, then she used the litter box as a bed. -shrugs-
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Obsessed with Criss Angel

I found litter training not that hard...since mine practically trained theirself

I found this link extremely useful when I first got into rats: Rat Articles
^^; I like that link

I also found this one: Fancy Rats | Information | Guides | Litter Training

Also someone mentioned before if you put a stone/ rock in the litterbox the rats might be more likely to use it.I don't know WHY& can't find info on it atm either but maybe they like peeing on rocks?

Last edited by candyraver; 04-24-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

I posted the article that you gave her a link for.
It is weird how she calls their poop raisins.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APoetCalledAnya
I posted the article that you gave her a link for.
It is weird how she calls their poop raisins.
Which article..? The one by Alison?

I always heard quite a few pet poops called raisins.
Whether it was rat or chinchilla or mouse...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Adolescent Pup

This one Rat Articles
When I get my bigger cage I am going to try and litter train them. It will make it easier to clean the cage and make me throw away less bedding.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Yeah I put dirty litter in the litter tray but the most my girls do is move the litter tray all over their cage. So I put it back and hope for the best. I guess I gotta get a different type of beeding for the non potty area. Thanks for the web sites. I got a rats magazine to read up on training them but so far no luck but they do know TREAT! muahaha. I never heard anyone call poop raisins either. Any ideas on training them on how to stay? I haven't found any information on that yet.

1 Cat- Luna

Last edited by Mousey; 04-24-2007 at 08:33 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:50 AM
RAT ADDICT

I sometimes call rat poop raisens!

Anyway I hope that you can litter train your rats.I never litter train my rats,as I don't mind if they poop/pee anywhere...I just clean it up!But thats just me.

As for staying...what do you mean you want them to "stay"? Your probably NOT going to get them to stay put! Especially females.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:58 AM

I wouldn't even attempt to try to get mine to "stay".With my two females...thats just not happening

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

Haha. I don't think you can teach them to stay. My girls are all over me when I reach in to feed them. They just want to come out and play.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

My rats want to be with me 24-7 even to the point of almost falling out of their cages door. I am always worried I'll accidentally squish their tail in the door or my albino one with fall out one day and get injured or something. So I am wondering if I can teach them a command to stay in the cage until I call them for play time.

1 Cat- Luna
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Will It Ever Change?

the only way you know is by trying, the same way you train a dog ir any animal, with time patience and bits of treats

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 10:53 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,you can try...but it is not gauranteed to work! Food is the way to a rat's heart!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
bear hamster, black bear, black bear hamster, fancy rats, litter box, litter train, litter training, litter tray