Tucker 1/26/10-9/13/12 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Tucker 1/26/10-9/13/12

Tucker has moved on to the Land of New Feetsies. My first boy, my darling boy. The last of my original three rats. Mellow Tucker came home to me at the age of seven weeks old with his two almost identical smudgy black brothers Explorer Jeffery, and Shy Windham. They were the experiment in trying my hand at owning something a little bit more than your average pocket pet.

I have always preferred the idea of pocket pets. They require so much less in terms of time and daily commitment than dogs or cats, and appeal to my warm blooded preferences more than snakes or fish.

I’d owned mice, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, and have attempted to like guenea pigs. Up until these boys, I avoided rats, probably for the same reason most people avoid rats: Because they are culturally understood as beady eyed, plague dropping, snake tailed, face chewers. However, I’d also read a book as a child insisting that rats were the cleanest, calmest, and most rewarding of all common pocket pets.

Weighing the two perceptions, I started research to see which was truer. Then, going along with the favorable version but also reading so many avoidable horror stories (usually for the rat) about purchasing from pet stores, I took the plunge by getting on a hobby breeder’s waiting list. I lucked out and happened upon a very reputable hobby breeder --still the only breeder I can ethically endorse wholeheartedly within 600 miles.

She took a chance on me, educated me on proper rat husbandry, and sent me home with three soon to be massive beady eyed, plague dripping, snake tailed face chewers. They were even black. I promptly named them after Katherine Tucker Windham, and dubbed them The Alabama Ghost Boys, a slight hat tip to The Foggy Bottom Boys and Mrs Windham’s books about Alabama ghosts.

The first thing they taught me is that they were cleaner than any pet I’ve ever had—look ma, no plague. The second thing they showed me-- they and the rats who came after-- is that they are most definitely not face chewers. I’ve been bitten by mice, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, and even an evil guenea pig. My rats never bit me. I’m sure the could have, and I’m sure they might have, but they showed me that it just wasn’t in their temperment to be likely. The third thing they showed me is that they liked me. Not because I was a handy conveyance or playground like other small rodents, but because they enjoyed hanging out with me. And of the three of them, especially Tucker.

In temperment, Tucker was ideal. Not because he was especially people friendly and squishyluv like my later boy, the younger Zmei, but because he was a solid, calm, and level headed rat. He was the rat I brought in to play when my younger boys were generally misbehaving or stressed. To abuse a recient analogy I heard, he was like that older, steady and wise plow horse yolked to the skittish young colt to calm it down and teach it manners and the way of going.

After starting with the three original Ghost Boys, I soon added four more youngsters to the mix, the aforementioned Zmei, baby half brother Black Pete, and my two little hairless drama queens Skinner and Melon. Tucker was the one who bridged the crew together. In his prime he was a partner and anchor to his more adventureous and less tolerant litter mate Jeffrey, protector of ‘fat kid’ Zmei, secondary role model and teacher to Black Pete, and persistant, no nonsense task master to the bratty hairless twins.

He was my partner too. I relied on him to teach and calm the rest of the crew during new experiences. If I had new medication, he was the first who demonstrated that it was tolerable. If I rearranged their toys, he showed them how to manuver the new obsticles. If one of the boys had to go to the vet, it was Tucker who came along to keep him calm. He never got flustered. He always looked calm and content with his big solid brick of glossy black self. Jokingly I described him as The Godfather. He’d wander through, and every other rat would stop what they were doing to pay him respect and offer him space.

He calmed me too. I’ve heard multi cat owners say they’ll gravitate to a special cat when they need soothing. Tucker was my boy. I’d bring him out when I needed to settle my day-ruffled feathers. He’d slouch on me like a floppy hand weight because he was so densely packaged, and watch tv or supervise my computer time. I’ve watched a lot of TV with Tucker in the last couple of years. I’d like to say he liked River Monsters as much as I did. His favorite chair has always been my shoulder. If he wasn’t on my shoulder he was in his cubby hole on my desk, where he mantained a hysterically varied horde stashe: Candy, coins, pill bottles, jewelry, cheerios, assorted flotsom, and as many children’s toys as he could find.

He was always comforably healthy too. Other than a couple of minor brushes with URI’s quickly treated, and a non-cancerous and slow growing mammary tumor at 18 months, I never had a problem with him, no matter what stress I introduced into his world. He just never let anything get to him. He aged gracefully and well, outliving both of his brothers and even one of the younger baby boys.

At his two year birthday, he was still going strong but soon ceded leadership of the cage to a now full grown and full of beans little brother Black Pete. Black Pete had just lost his best friend Jeffrey, and dealt with his grief by terrorizing the rest of the cage. But still calm, Tucker recognized that the student had become the master, and stepped down into retirement.

Now Old Man Tucker, my boy enjoyed extra attention from everyone, and they all treated him like a grandfather. He had his own theme song: “Get out the way, for Old Man Tucker, he’s too cute to miss his supper”.

Around 28 months I started noticing a little dragging in his hind end. Hind end degeneration, common with old boy rats was settling in, as was weight loss and other general old rat issues. He handled it all in stride, and even with decreasing back leg use, he navigated the cage as well as anyone. He relished the extra treats, baby wipe baths, and oatmeal dinners his old age afforded him.

Also at 28 months, we introduced five new ‘rescue’ (not so much rescue, but helping a friend) girls to the house, and as a precaution against ‘oopses’ with two grade school boys in my house, I went ahead and had Old Man Tucker neutered. He tolerated the surgery well, and adapted to Women in his world.

Though he never got the opportunity to live with them, he knew they were there and reacted in his usual unflappable style. While the other boys swung from their bars like low class monkeys, he seemed to be constantly shaking his head at them and suggesting that they quit making fools of themselves.

At 30 months I noticed him slowing down at last. He liked sleeping a lot more-Bilbo Baggins at Rivendale. “Just resting my eyes”. Our together time was coming to an end. He stayed until almost 32 months. In the end, he went quietly, from what I suspect might have been a stroke given his body positioning…but then again, he may have just calmly chosen his moment to move on. The three other boys were cuddled around him, so I didn’t know he was gone at first. They all came out for their dinner, and he didn’t. He was still warm, though it may have just been the warmth of his family. We all loved you little dude.

At two months old, comfortable wherever he is....

...and always with a smile.

At 8 months old, in his favorite spot...

...givin' kisses.

Tucker going Trick or Treating with me.

Doin' the Dangle at 11 months old.

Post surgery trooper. He did so well. And he was determined to get his scrambled egg.

One of my favorite group shots of my four furry boys. Tucker is calmly hanging out on the left, with Zmei, Black Pete, and Jeffrey ranging out to his right.

Tucker at 2 years old, still exploring and playing strong.

And at 31 months...not letting a little thing like a handicap slow him down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 09-16-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 11:14 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh Tucker!! Our beautiful handsome boy...Story, I was just wondering how you were doing with Tucker passing on and I immediately saw that you had posted what has to be one of the all time great memorials to Mr. Tucker Man. I hope he knows all the things you said about him in your post. I learned so much in your memorial post...I did not know that Tucker was the one in your original bunch that was the rock solid nucleus of the group. What a beloved anchor he was!!
An absolutely amazing, level headed, loving and calm-as-Buddha gentleman. I believe he is an impossible act to follow. Your tribute just floored me. You were blessed to have him in your life. A VERY special boy that we will not forget.

And, the pictures...oh my, memory lane big time here. I remember the sweet Halloween pictures of you and your Trick or Treat Ambassador on your shoulder. None of my boys have ever been so outgoing and openly friendly to strangers or situations in the way that calm Tucker was.

His sweet baby pictures made me tear up. I had forgotten how small and silky and precious he was as a baby. And always with a smile. Such a rat model. I miss him very much too. A beautiful, original soul, inside and out. I am so very glad he was lucky enough to have you for his mommy and to have so many wonderful brothers to enjoy life with. And that he was able to pass on in the comfort and warmth of his home, surrounded by his buddies.

I still need to read your memorial to Marc. He is going to cry. Guaranteed. Especially how Tucker and his marvelous brothers were able to educate you and show you the wonderful world of ratty love.

Well, enough blabbering from me. I can't seem to say enough. Touched beyond words, and hoping for an air kiss from Mr. Tucker if he wants to come down to say hello in between being a very busy boy with his brothers in Feetsies Land.

Kisses, belly rubs, ear scritches and nuzzles to you Mr. Tucker. We all love you so much.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Last edited by Vladina; 09-16-2012 at 11:17 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 03:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

This is a beautiful post with incredible truth. I love your story of precaution turned into love, and I know you share that story with everyone who meets your furry clan. I am sad to hear about Tucker's passing because it marks a true end not just for you, but for Vlad and myself, too, since he is the last of our original group. It does make me smile, though, thinking about all of our boys romping around out there together, ridden of the shackles of old age and free to be the young spirits they always were at heart.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I think that exact same thing too Breyer. All of our boys are having so much fun together right now, I just know it.

In fact, I remember after we lost Klausse and Wolfgang, that it was right around the same time that Story had lost Wyndham. Marc and I took a vacation to Scottsdale for some sun (we had resisted vacations while we had the boys as we hated to leave them of course) and we rented a house with a pool in the backyard.

I remember every time we sat out by the pool, we could just see Klausse, Wolfie and Wyndham running around the pool and dipping their hands in the water and enjoying our vacation with us. Probably a quick trip down to where Marc and I were from their ratty playground at the Bridge, to visit with us and have some fun with the mortals. It cheered us up. We called them The Terrible Trio goes to Scottsdale! Shy Wyndham and shy Klausse being egged on by Brat Packer Wolfgang, getting up to dickens and ordering up margaritas and such. It was a nice thing to think of and it made us feel better and smile, rather than being sad.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

He was as beautiful on the inside as he was on the outside. What an amazing rat!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Agreed April. I was thinking the same thing. It would never matter what a ratty looks like on the outside because they are so beautiful already on the inside. Tucker was of course, both.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 01:58 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Doh, I realized when I mentioned Windham, I spelled his name as Wyndham! Sorry!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Don't worry, Windham can't spell and he says such things are immaterial where he is anyway.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Awww, I am glad Windham forgives me and does not mind my typo!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2012, 08:57 PM
It's all for them

I'm so sorry for your loss of your beloved Tucker. What a wonderful story, such a special boy.

Declawing: please read this first

Tags
alabama ghost boys tucker