Photos! Tumor on Bella's face... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Tumor on Bella's face...

Well, I was giving my ratties some treats tonight, and when Bella turned to run with hers, I saw a lump on her cheek. I've never had a rat have a tumor on their face before... does this mean it is cancerous? I'm taking her into the vet tomorrow morning and I'll see what my vet says about it. I'm so sad right now... and her twin sister, Gretchen, isn't gonna know what to do without her if she has to be put down.. Ugh I don't know what to do...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh I'm so sorry, I hope you get the best news possible Maybe it can be drained...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:27 PM

I'm so sorry. I HOPE it's not cancerous..I can't imagine waking up to see that on one of my boys. Keep your chin up; Ratty's can feel your sadness, no need to worry her until you know the news.

Good Luck sweetie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

I am hoping its not cancerous either, I've been doing some research on tumors in this area on rats, and the outlook doesn't look good at all... I put her in her own cage with just her sister for now so I can keep a close eye on her in case she starts to show any neurological signs at all.

Ugh I forgot the feeling you get when one of your babies is sick... it's been a while since I've lost a rattie to an illness. I mean, its really sad when we put down the rats that are to be fed to our snakes, but this is a completely different feeling. I have no control over what happens, and its just breaking my heart.

She's being really clingy right now, and its so sad because she is usually the opposite. Usually she just wants to run around and explore and come visit me occasionally, but tonight she wont leave me alone she just wants to lay on me, and Gretchen is laying beside her on my lap.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:41 PM

maybe its an abscess and not a tumor. I had rats for 7 years and i have delt with a lot of abscesses. If it is an abscess a vet can drain it and put her on anti biotics.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh I hope it's going to be ok!
Sending you lots of good vibes!
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Well I just got back from the vet... She said it is not an abscess, they took x-rays and she said it is a tumor on her zymbals gland. They took a sample to send to the lab and she said that if it is what she thinks, it is going to be malignant most likely. She said there is nothing really that they can do about it and I should just keep her comfortable until she shows signs of distress.

She wanted to do exploratory surgery on her, but I declined... I don't want Bella to have to deal with that just so the doctor can have a first hand look.

The doctor couldn't verify what would cause this, or if it was hereditary. If it is hereditary, I need to take a good look at my breeding stock of rats and cut off any ties to Bella... But I can't find any info on this online... does anyone know if its hereditary?
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My rat Jack had a tumor on his face. He did fine with it for a few months. He went blind on the side that it was on and his eye produced a lot of porphyrin. It was a hard lump on the side of his face but it didn't seem to hurt him at all. I had him to the vet several times but nothing helped and it was in a location that it couldn't be removed. Eventually it started impeding his breathing (probably from pressing on his nasal passages) and I had him put to sleep.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Poor Jack. Looks like I am going to be going through that now. She is otherwise fine so far, if she is still fine in a few days I might put her back in the large cage with everyone. I'm just worried that she might all of a sudden lose her coordination, and fall or hit her head on something in the cage. I'm a worrier, so I might be overprotecting her from herself, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I think she likes being on my desk though, her and her sister can see me all day long and its quiet in my office. And Maddie is in a cage on my desk also because she is pregnant and should give birth soon, so I like to keep an eye on her. Needless to say, I have no room on my desk anymore, only for my keyboard lol!
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Good luck with Bella. I agree with your decision to not have a sample taken when there is nothing they can do about it anyway. With Jack they said they couldn't have removed it because of the location, so I didn't see the point in risking anesthesia for a biopsy at his age (just shy of 2 years). Just give her all the love you can and hope that it doesn't affect her for a long time.

It looks like it's in a better place than Jack's was. His was more on top of his face, between his eye and nose, but it looks like it could possibly affect her teeth at some point. I would watch her eating and have some Oxbow Critical Care and baby cereal on hand in case she starts having trouble.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Yea I was thinking that it would probably affect her jaw in the future and she might have trouble eating. I was reading up on that also, and I'm gonna pick up some baby food for the future just in case. My vet can order me some Oxbow Crit care food, so I'll look into that as well. Thanks for the advice, its very much appreciated.
post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

It looks too far forward to be ZG (Zymbal's Gland tumor) more in the place of where a tooth abscess would appear instead.

All the Zymbal's I have seen are right below the ear canal.

http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia...land_tumor.php

How fast did this lump show up?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I'm so sorry for the news There is still a chance it isn't cancerous right?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Did the vet also do an FNA (fine needle aspiration) to determine it wasn't an abscess?

I have seen face lumps from abscesses, tooth, bites and also a very strange cancer but it was almost as hard as bone. I have personally seen 4 ZG's and none were in that location.

You might want to get a 2nd opinion.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

She did stick a needle in it, I don't know what it was for though. The lump is very hard, and it doesn't move at all. It showed up within a few hours. I was just holding her earlier that day, and about 4 or 5 hours later I see this lump on her face. Everything I've looked up about the Zymbals gland tumor, doesnt say anything about it being in this place on the head, so it confused me as well. It had already crossed my mind to take her into a different vet just to be sure. So I'm going to look for another exotic vet that is near by tomorrow. Hopefully there is one. Otherwise I'll just drive out to my parents house for the day, because there is a great exotics vet that I used to go to in their town. Thank you for your input, lilspaz.

CrWoodyspets, I sure hope there is a chance it isnt cancerous, but I don't know for sure yet.