Tumors - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Tumors

A few weeks ago I noticed a tumor on one of my girls, Naomi, sister to Mischa who has crossed over the bridge already. I'm going to have to watch Naomi closely now, to see how she is faring.
Mischa was just under 3 years old when she passed, and Naomi, the less stout of the pair is just now over 3 years old. Naomi has had chronic upper respiritory infections her whole life (bad breeding my old vet told me) But as they were rescues/pet store rats I gave them love, and a home, and they never had to worry about being fed to something. The tumor is in exactly the same spot as Mischa's, I was afraid that Naomi wouldn't fare well after her sister passed. But she's eating, drinking, and perfectly content to be held, pet, and played with, is still very active.
My vet has told me that because of the placement of the tumor, it would be difficult to remove because even though it is smallish in size, it already involves some of the muscle of the hind leg.

Here are pictures of Mischa and Naomi and Mischa's Tumor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mischa Naomi 3.jpg (23.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Mischa Naomi 2.jpg (25.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Mischa Tumor.jpg (45.2 KB, 8 views)

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that
The black rat looks like my Marlie
They are both so cute!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 05:56 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

She's over 3? With a tumor that could have heavily spread? She's happy? Leave it Its big but if she's happy and its not bothering her too much, there's no point having surgery that at worst, she won't survive, and at best, she has an uncomfortable recovery...older rats don't heal as well and as fast. I took a chance with my Monkey at 31 months of age, but her health was awesome!

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Spaz, the picture is of Mischa's Tumor, I haven't gotten one of Naomi's yet, she's till a little miffed with me about taking her to the Vet in the first place, she's a sweetheart of a rat, but she really likes my boyfriend better, I'm just the one that brings her the food!
And Thank You CrWoodyspets, I think your girls are cuties too, the picture doesn't show it, but Naomi is Velvateen, Mischa was a Himmie, and there were hairless in their litter as well.

~W.C. Fields
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

sorry to here about your other rat. Its harder when pets get older and they get things worng with them. The older they are the harder sugery is on them. Like my moms blond cocker had cancer for 3 years with meds and all she was happy and her self but she was 13 when she passed. How she managed that long I dont know but she was happy even up untill her last breath. and it was only a couple of months before she passed that she had to be put on pain meds. It was not just her age that the vet was worried about her going threw but the tumore was around vilale stuff and even with it removed carfully it would have either progressed or came back.
I hope that she dose not have a big one like her sister and if she goes or when she dose its peacfuly. Bless you and your rat Naomi.
Diamond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

So this is Naomi, and her tumor.
It's about the size of a small bouncy ball, or large marble, depending on how you look at things!

~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:30 PM
I am allergic to maths

That is a smallish tumor, I think at her age she will be happier if you leave it be, like jennicat said.

Tags
tumors