Twiggy - April 2009 to Oct. 22, 2011 :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Twiggy - April 2009 to Oct. 22, 2011 :(

Twiggy was an older tilty boy when he arrived on October 9 of last year, but he made himself right at home

Everyone loved his plucky spirit and happy buggy eyes. I had really hoped for a cagemate for this lovely boy but with rats it was a whole different story. Blood shed instantly…Sigh

But then bad things started to happen. He had a swelling behind his jaw…it was becoming a real concern as I was thinking Zymbal’s Gland tumour, a very bad and fatal tumour for a rat to get. It grew and grew but never seemed to bother him. I was just waiting for a sign that he was ready.

The monstrous thing scabbed and then started to open up at the top. I was going to take him to my vet the next day to be pts, but he still wasn’t acting “off” in the slightest, so I took a better look at it and discovered pus…Abscess!!!! I was thrilled for a short while but it was a horrible thing to deal with, and it came back again months later. This time it went away for good, and Twiggy just aged lump-free like a little old man should. He developed a constant URI but it was managed pretty well by antibiotics for the most part.
Twiggy absolutely hated the treatment for the abscess and would cry and flail…but his capacity for forgiveness was amazing. No treats or cuddles for him, just let him run/toddle around on the bedroom floor and he was perfectly fine within seconds. LOL

My lovely brave boy in between abscess occurrences, he was 2 years old here.

At 26 months his HED was pretty bad but this boy could really haul himself around

And at 29 months, happy, bright, and still loving life.

Goodbye Bright Eyes…we did the long haul together and made it out the other side.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

What a beautiful boy, and such a gentle soul. I'm sorry to hear about this loss, lilspaz. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Lilspaz,
Wow, this boy really touched hubby and I. We just looked through all of his wonderful pictures and read about him, and well, we just melted for him. What a sweet soul and so happy and cheerful faced. Those beautiful buggy eyes, that jolly smile...something just very memorable (of course, ALL of our rat babies are memorable in their own individual ways) about him that really touched us. What a beautiful and sweet boy. I am so sorry he has passed but it is obvious he very much enjoyed his time with you. His ability to bounce back so rapidly after going through his uncomfortable abcess treatments reminded me again about what big, forgiving hearts our rat kids have and their ability to be such brave and tough little troopers. Shine on Twiggy and I know you are happy right now, having new adventures and friends to play with at the Bridge.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

What a handsome young man! I'm very sorry to hear of your loss

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm so sorry you've had another loss lilspaz. It seems you've had a rough time with losses for the last few weeks. This is always the hard part of having ratties, and there have been times when I lose several at more or less the same time that I pull back to recover for a bit before getting any new ones. But there's no doubt they bless our lives. It seems like this guy was an especially sweet, gentle, and resilient kiddo. I know you'll miss him.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-29-2011, 11:48 AM
Adolescent Pup

What a beautiful boy!! I bet you miss him so.. Its so unfair and makes me mad that rats have so much against them. Short life.. tumors.. UTI's.. all well.. Love them while they are here!!! :-)

All our love...

Jimmie, Tonya, the twins Robin & Whiskers, the girls Nadia & Greyson, and our first Hector the Rat!

Thanks to Zoe, Leo & Jr for stealing our hearts and opening our love for little furry friends.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2011, 09:43 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

We all agree on that, James. Rats have such a short life span, and it just seems so unfair. They make the most of their lives though, and ours.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.