Two More Mice... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Two More Mice...

Same girl, emailed about the boy, I saw the girl and said she's going to die soon, I'll take her home.

Dashi, mom of Maggie, 3 litters and 9 months old. Got sick after each litter "but always got better". Well not this time, she's been sick for 2 weeks. She's rocking, laboured breathing, and when I was there, she was clicking and open mouthed gasping a little...sigh. She got baytril and Revolution. She is very handleable and very sweet.

Boy formerly known first as Misty (they thought he was a girl), then he became Daddy. Looks like he was sooo itchy from mites that he scratched his ear off. He will be dropped off to see Dr Munn tomorrow for I am sure an ear tissue amputation, and he got metacam and Revolution tonight. I named him Brutus for being such a tough little bugger. He's a bit skitty but very curious.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Sigh...not much to say on this without getting upset, depressed or just plain angry at people, as always. Guess I would just be wasting my energy.

Dashi and Brutus are so sweet and precious. The fact that they are still curious and willing to trust a new person is another astounding character trait about wee furry ones that always touches me to the core.

They are so beautiful and deserving of better things. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of these darlings and hope there are some good times to be had for them. Their world has already gotten better by a thousand times now that they are with you. I am at least very happy for them on that score, of course.

Kisses to you both, Dashi and Brutus and keep strong, okay?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Last edited by Vladina; 10-05-2012 at 08:08 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Those poor babies, Im so glad they found there way to you

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Awesome update!!

NOT sad anymore *grin*

Michelle (the vet tech who adopted Maggie and absolutely loves her) has asked to keep Brutus. Dr Munn put a bit of local in the ear and trimmed off the dead flesh. Michelle is going to have Brutus neutered and in with his daughter. ALSO, I am to keep her up to date on Dashi's recovery and when she's better she will take her in as well.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 04:55 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh joy of joys!! That is fantastic news!! I am soooo happy for Brutus and Dashi, hooray!!

Thank you, thank you to Michelle the vet tech, yay! Well your post just made my day, Spaz. Yippee!!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Three cheers for the Rodent Whisperer. The tinier ones, I see pictures and think, no way...but between you and the dedicated vet team at your local office...! This is great stuff.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Hahaha...Rodent Whisperer...I still like Rat Whisperer, but then I can understand Mouse Dialect enough to get by

If Michelle liked Maggie so much, she's going to looove Dashi.
She's friendly, handleable, very curious and loves people. She takes
her meds like a champ now and best of all is improving rapidly. No
more laboured breathing, a little tick still when you listen to her
lungs but that's going fast as well. I am thrilled

She's much more active, happy but seems bored because she is alone. I
think she likes human interaction as she approaches the side and
watches me. I think she's also very bright and I wonder if she could
learn her name, etc?

She not ambling on her wheel anymore!

I called her name and she climbed up

Not scared being held or touched at all...a very curious little lady

My favourite pic...

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ooooh, what a little heart thud she is! Love the photos, and they do show how inquisitive and curious she is! What a special little girl..I am so happy for her!

ALL of the photos are just lovely, but you are right, the last one is just the most charming of all. She looks sort of tuckered in that one, but in a good way, like she is happy and taking a lil break from all the curious goings on and also doing an "I see you! Peek a boo!" What a sweetie pie!!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Dashi has stabilized again, but she's not herself. She's not as bright and has stopped running in her wheel. Last night while I had her out, she was cuddled under my chin and I feel these rhythmic jerks that worried me. I moved her further away so I could see and she started a choking and clicking gasping motion that went on for about 25 seconds then she stopped, started grooming herself happily and clambered around on me. Huh?

Today after I cleaned her cage I noticed her neck looked a little lumpy and carefully felt it...she has a mass on her throat which would account for the choking episodes I also thought I felt a small mass before her hip bone in her abdomen, but palpating a mouse is really difficult, even a sweetheart like Dashi.

So no happy fairytail (hehe) ending for Dashi, as I am sure Michelle won't want her since she's not healthy, so I will make her life as good as I can.

Dashi gets bored, and needs to be taken out. She loves climbing on people (I lie down and watch TV), sniffing faces,pushing under hands for pats...she's really like a friendly miniature rat

First we start off with the stroking she loves...she even tips her cheek for you. LOL

And after this its time to groom

Final touches

Yeah, the mohawk look...perfect!

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack