uh oh! here we go again (lol) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Formerly Known as mya_papaya

uh oh! here we go again (lol)

okay, when i first got patch from the petstore she turned out to be pregnant, she had 13 babies, and now as the babies are 5 weeks old i've separated them and i think i left the babies together
for too long, theres five females and i think they're ALL pregnant.......i feel so stupid! oh well at least females will help take care of each others babies, so if my math is right, if they each have around 10 then theres gonna be like 50-60 of em! totally unexpected, well this time im separating them at 4 weeks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Adolescent Pup

5 weeks SHOULD be fine.... I seperated mine at 4 1/2 weeks

if they were pregnant you can have as many as 20 babies per litter... my foster litter was 17 (3 died hwoever)

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 05:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

Please look into emergency spays like now!! Those rats at that young will most likely die in labor not to mention what in the world are you gonna do with a possible 100 rattie babies. Also FYI rats sexually mature at 4 wks. Please do the right thing here if you truly love these girls (which i'm sure you do or you wouldn't be here)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

I honestly doubt they would be UNLESS he kept them with an adult male until 5 weeks. There was a report of a 3 1/2 week old girl getting pregnant from her father.

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

well regardless I think an emergency spay would be a good idea, you never know
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

the reason i think theyre pregnant is b/c all of the girls are fatter than the guys, oh and theyre mice not rats (not allowed to have rats)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
i love my lil baby sebastien!!!!! almost 11 months old. baby on the way.......... due april 18 2010..... its a boy!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I think they are mice, not rats...

Dimaris

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

spay a mouse???? i've never heard of that before! wouldnt they die cuz mice are so tiny?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Suffers from Title Envy

do you have any idea how much money it would cost to spay that many mice! lol. i am sure a petstore would take the babies off your hands. i know they may end up snake food, but what other choices is there if you have 30-50 or so baby mice running around.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 12:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

ooooooooo mice not rats... I was about to say, rats can't get pregnant until 6 weeks.. mice I'm clueless about

also, why not spay mice? I have two spayed female rats because they were possibly pregnant... it turned out they weren't, but their mother was (she was spayed as well). I don't know if mice can be spayed or not.... I know boy mice can be neutered fairly easily

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

my vet has speyed mice before! Out of 10, he lost 2.....not a bad effort considering their size.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

I don't know that much about rats or mice, but I would seperate them at about 4 weeks old from what I've heard. Also I know the smaller the animal is the more chance you are taking that the animal will die while being spayed/neutered. An idea for the babies might be to post them for adoption as free to good home with that many under the rescue section...Also I don't know how mommy mice are with other mice's babies, but maybe you could put all the female baby rats with some moms (of the new babies) and the male ones with others so that way the next "batch" will NOT get pregnant...

*Corina's Critter World*

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I think the cost of spaying/neutering a mouse are very very high.. I was reading about neutering gerbils in some site (sorry, but I don't have the link) and the average cost of it was around $150. Also, the higher risk about neutering/spaying such a small animals is that they need a specific anesthesia, cause regular one, used for bigger animals, would kill them.. that's why the cost is so high...

Dimaris

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty_ratkins
do you have any idea how much money it would cost to spay that many mice! lol. i am sure a petstore would take the babies off your hands. i know they may end up snake food, but what other choices is there if you have 30-50 or so baby mice running around.
I hope they dont end up as snake food!!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-05-2004, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

well if they are pregnant i am going to get more aquariums and im going to keep them all! im not going to give them to some stupid petstore! the petstore near my house keeps all of the mice in one tank and lets the females get pregnant, i read the writing on the cage and patch was born sept.2 and she had her babies on nov.3 at about 10:00 am so patch was pretty young.........

Tags
baby mice, baby rats, female rat, female rats, male rat, male rats, snake food