Unexpected Baby Mice! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Unexpected Baby Mice!

About a month ago, I bought home two mice which I thought were both females (the shop keeper even checked) but just today or maybe yesterday night, one of my mice had babies! I wasn't prepared for it, but I searched around on the internet and it said I should remove the male which I did. (I inspected them closer, and sure enough one was male and the other was female) I also gave extra water and food for the mother, but no I don't know what to do. I'm worried that the mother might eat the babies as it is her first time having a litter, I want to count the mice to see how much there is but I can since they are all on top of each other and they are partly covered by the bedding and tissues although I am sure there is at least 10. Anyone have any advice on what to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:58 AM
RAT ADDICT

Males can sometimes suck their parts (testicles) into their body,so that is why they were mis-sexed most likely.Just keep the male seperate.The female can get pregnant about 12-24 hours after giving birth...so if you removed him too late,he may of got her pregnant again.

Give the mother extra protien.Offer her things like bits of cheese,chicken,milk soaked bread or even a tiny bit of egg.A milkbone or piece of dog food would work too.If she doesn't get enough protien,then she may eat her babies.The nursing mother needs extra protiens/nutrients.

Leave the nest alone for the most part.If the mother is very trusting,you can take her out on day 2 or 3 and count the babies.I usually start handling them (for VERY short periods of time) around this day alos,as it helps tame them.

The babies will need to be seperated by sex during 4-5 weeks,because they can breed and will breed with their siblings and even mom again.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Okay thanks for the help. But just a few more questions, is it okay to feed it dried/canned cat food instead of dog food? Or maybe some fish for protein?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 09:19 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula View Post
Okay thanks for the help. But just a few more questions, is it okay to feed it dried/canned cat food instead of dog food? Or maybe some fish for protein?
Just a little bit.It has too much protien to feed on a regular basis.But yes a piece of dry cat kibble is good.

I have given my mice a little bit of salmon before,but they don't seem to be a huge fan.You can try tho.

Even a cricket or a mealworm would do.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

I gave her a bit of canned cat food and she seems to like it =] I will post some pictures of the babies in a few days when I can start holding them
^-^
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 AM
RAT ADDICT

Good luck! I can't wait to see them!

* Lisa *

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

I have started to hold the babies, and counted them too, there are 10 =D The mother doesn't seem to mind much when i touch/hold them. Here are some photos of the babies =]

3. The Mum

Sorry if they are too big, I can't seem to resize them o.o

Last edited by Nebula; 08-15-2008 at 10:24 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

Cute! I love mommy mouse! Nice markings!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

Thank you and how long can I hold them for? They have started to grow fur as well.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 09:20 AM
RAT ADDICT

Because they are still young,I would only hold them a minute or so at a time.Not too long.

* Lisa *

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Awww, they are sweet, your mumma is very pretty
Sounds like your doing a good job. If I were yu I'd give mumma more bedding and materials to keep adding to the nest.
Good luck!
x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 01:06 AM

Oh wow, the momma is such a pretty mouse! She looks like a deep slightly reddish chocolate color on my monitor, is that her real color? You have to take more pictures when the babies start to get their fur in!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-17-2008, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, Macciato (the mum) is a chocolate colour but I'm not quite sure about been a bit reddish.. Maybe it was because of the light? and sure of course I will take more pictures when the babie's fur starts growing! I will also put up a picture of the dad soon ^-^ Also, the babies are kept in that toy house which you can see the roof of in the picture of Macchiato and the house is literally filled with tissues, I don't even see how they can breathe xD
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

The fur is getting longer and I can tell how they will look like now. It seems that 4 of them all pure white, which is weird because both of the parents are brown and white o.o. I think they may be albino, is there a way to tell what colour eyes they have now? Or do you have to wait till they open?
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
RAT ADDICT

You can tell.
Their eyes will look black or pink.
You can tell when they are newborn even!

* Lisa *