An Unforseen Disaster! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question An Unforseen Disaster!

Last December I rescued 2 darling girl rats (around 6 weeks old) from the pet shop. They have been loving, adorable pets and the apple of my daughter's eye. And the apple of mine too, honestly. They are the sweetest and best girls, and getting a bit long in the tooth now, nearly 14 months old.

We live in a medium size city in a busy neighborhood, and we have 2 dogs in a fenced yard who come in and out by a dog door. A few weeks ago we realized that the nibble marks on certain pantry goods were NOT the work of naughty ratties, but of a WILD rat that likely came in through the DOG DOOR!!! Have you ever heard of such a thing??

We trapped that rat but did not check the sex. A week later we saw another wild rat fleeing out the doggie door. We set more traps but never caught him.

Normally our girls free-range, but since the traps have been out their wanderings have been curtailed. I thought my smaller girl was gaining weight due to less exercise....but a close check today reveals the classic pear-shape, more visible nipples and a tendency to nest.

My 14 month old pet store rescue rat is knocked up by a wild RAT! OMG! What in the world do I do??? Well, I made a nursery cage, gave her plenty of calories and protein (which she ate!) and had a good cry. I'm so worried at her age the delivery will be dangerous. I have no idea where the babies will go, and I'm just generally distressed by the situation. Let me emphasize that I would have NEVER bred my girl and I'm crushed that this has happened.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

have you considered espay ? not sure if shes to old for this as i dont have rats myself. but i hope someone on the forum can help you

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

You seriously need to call a vet and tell them the situation and that you need to e-spay your rat! Half-wilds are incredibly difficult (I have had many unfortunately, I take in rescues, and people often think these are just regular agouti babies, then tell me mom got loose, and came back pregnant), they will break your heart with the escapes, and the biting, etc. I have 2 halfie boys here who I socialized like crazy from birth, and they are still a bit difficult, and I have to always remember they are partly wild. I am a very experienced owner with all sorts of rescue rats with issues (hormonal aggression, fear aggression, lack of socialziation, biting, medical issues) but Halfies break my heart all the time.
I can put up pics if you like to show you what you might be looking forward to?

14 months is not that old, just barely over a year, if you end up having the bubs, she should be just fine.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Lilspaz, thanks for your valuable input. Any pics would be helpful. I'm worried about my girl as she seems afraid and has kicked all the nest material out of her box. I'm not sure if ratties lose their mucous plug but something came from that area this morning. She is grooming fretfully but still eating and drinking. I will call the vet ASAP but I admit to not knowing what e-spay means...a hysterectomy to abort the pregnancy? I have a gut feeling that she is too far along...might be pinkies when I get home!

I had hopes of keeping 1 or 2 babies but your report of half-wilds is sobering. Any and all advice will be gratefully received!
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Here's lilspaz's thread about her own half-wild babies, which she posted on here a while back. This might have some good info for you: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/p...ight=half+wild

Good luck with your girl! It sounds like she's about ready to give birth now, based on her increased fussiness. Also, if it was about three weeks ago or so that the wild rat got in, then her gestation period is almost up, which means it's too late for an e-spay (emergency-spay, essentially to abort the fetuses, but at this stage it is too late to do that--at least, I'm sure no one would do that on a late-term pregnancy).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

You can, but you had better over-socialize the babies from birth. You can't really adopt out these babies unless the person is experienced and willing to really work with them. They are more like wild deer than domestic rats. Their ears twitch, they leap straight in the air when startled, and are much more likely to bite.

here is Laila (RIP) she was the nicest of my first batch. She is old here and wouldn't stay in a cage. she was always escaping.

Here is Laila not feeling well, letting me actually pat her...she had CHF (congestive heart failure like most of her siblings)

Feeling much better after starting treatment for heart issues

So much better she bit me and hid looking victorious

these are my big halfie boys...they had to be neutered at 4 months because hormonal aggression and wildie instincts were just too much.

And these are the little ladies that were born at my fosters and not socialized from birth.

They are finally starting to settle down a little...at about 6 months of age. Although one keeps escaping, and I need to re-mesh their FN, and most are not rats you can pick up, etc.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

espay means emergency spay.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
Here's lilspaz's thread about her own half-wild babies, which she posted on here a while back. This might have some good info for you: http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/p...ight=half+wild
it seems like this thread just sort of ends, what happened to your girl lil'spaz?

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Inky had half-wild babies But she and they were adopted in the end by this wonderful couple who loved animal challenges...she did amazing with the entire family and adroes her Inky and her half-wilds.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Worried

I'm glad Inky had a happy home

I have to say I'm worried about my girl...she is naturally petite and right now she is so huge and ungainly. She has stopped nesting. Though she is not acting distressed and is eating fine, I'm worried that it's time and she is for some reason not progressing. But I'm an admitted worry wart! I'm putting her in the nurse tank several time a day for a visit, keeping that right beside her normal cage and sister. She seems relaxed there but makes no effort to nest. She can barely get up and down her levels....wish I could add a pic but I'm technically challenged.

Called my vet and the only one in the practice who sees exotics is out, and the alt referral they gave is over an hour away...and they are closed weekends. I guess if she's not distressed or bleeding then I'm needlessly worrying /sigh. Poor little girl and darn randy wild!
post #11 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

keep us updated in any case!
post #12 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:13 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
Inky had half-wild babies But she and they were adopted in the end by this wonderful couple who loved animal challenges...she did amazing with the entire family and adroes her Inky and her half-wilds.
le sigh... i love a happy ending

post #13 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I'm a Mom!!!!!!!

This morning my girl made a big nest...is it time? I wondered! She was SO BIG, and a little restless but still happy to eat and socialize. She was sitting on my neck and I felt...something...I used a damp napkin and wiped her behind...and it was blood! So back in the cage she went...I scrutinized her for signs of labor...all I noticed was extra grooming.

She then went in her nest and went to sleep. And I, being home sick, when to sleep too. When I got up and checked there were many little peepings from the nest! I didn't want to pull it apart so I've been peeking. A fair bit of blood but nothing that seems like a hemorrhage. She is sitting contentedly with/on the rittens, who are all moving about as far as I can tell and trying to nurse. They are SO TINY! Much smaller than I thought!

I feel unprepared! When do I introduce their aunt? When do I handle them? Should I move them to the nurse cage? Gaah, just not sure, but happy they are here and that my girl seems to be doing ok.
post #14 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomdeplume View Post
This morning my girl made a big nest...is it time? I wondered! She was SO BIG, and a little restless but still happy to eat and socialize. She was sitting on my neck and I felt...something...I used a damp napkin and wiped her behind...and it was blood! So back in the cage she went...I scrutinized her for signs of labor...all I noticed was extra grooming.

She then went in her nest and went to sleep. And I, being home sick, when to sleep too. When I got up and checked there were many little peepings from the nest! I didn't want to pull it apart so I've been peeking. A fair bit of blood but nothing that seems like a hemorrhage. She is sitting contentedly with/on the rittens, who are all moving about as far as I can tell and trying to nurse. They are SO TINY! Much smaller than I thought!

I feel unprepared! When do I introduce their aunt? When do I handle them? Should I move them to the nurse cage? Gaah, just not sure, but happy they are here and that my girl seems to be doing ok.
i'm sooo happy for you!!! congrats! see you were worried for nothing, lol

that's amazing, this must be your first litter. well i'm not an expert but i've always heard wait for a week before handling. you may want to double check with some of the other breeders. i have heard of more experienced people who's rats have been bred before can do it in less time. it's mostly up to mommy to let you know how close you can get to them methinks...

wait for someone with lots of experience to answer... and as soon as you can see them - i want pictures~!

post #15 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Start handling them from day 1. Especially little halfies...they need every bit of hands on they can get. Just let them sit in your hands, and stroke gently over their little bodies. by day 5 they will start having a coat, and it will be easier to stroke them. Then you can start gently pulling tails, paws, turning baby onto their back (watch them sleep), basically do everything everywhere you can think of.

right now you watch for milk bellies...yellowish whitish streaks in their bellies to make sure they are nursing properly.

Their mom was older and only had the 2 babies...you can see the milk belly

dangling one of the wee boys

I started calling these 2 my Behemoths...they were HUGE for their age.

Make sure mom has lots of good nutrition with extra protein in her diet and gets out daily

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
pregnant, rats, rescue, wild rat