Update.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Update....

Ok so i havent been on for a while coz i have been having major issues with my rats......i have had 14 rats die since the start of this month :o( they live in my garage as the smell and mess got too much to keep them in the house.....there has never been a car or anything in the garage so no damaging fumes or anything to worry about....they have had extra bedding and hammocks and a heater in there to keep them warm and for the most part they have been absolutely wonderful.....i have had no problems with any respiratory infections or anything and all of them have been in wonderful health and the same wonderful temperament and now this month i have lost literally half of my mischief :o( i have no idea what has gone wrong but i am now moving them back into the house as i am not sure if it's the weather change or what not even though they have a heater and loads of bedding and hammocks etc????
It is only my oldies that have died though so maybe i have just been unlucky and having so many meant they all went so close together???
So anyway i am now down to 17 ratties....7 boys and 10 girls and i am bringing them back in so onto my question.....my rats are ultimate chewers and they chew just about anything they can get their paws on...well they are in those huge ferret nation cages and have numerous chew toys and tubes and hammocks and just about everything else i can think of to cram in their cages lol so my problem is....they have ignored their toys and chewed the plastic bases that line each half of the cages so now when they kick all the litter out of their litter trays it goes all over my floor etc so my question is.....Does anyone know of anything i can line the bottom of the cage with to stop them throwing their litter all over the floor?
I have tried those glass worktop saver boards you can get but they didnt work coz they just moved them about and made gaps and carried on kicking it all out! I was thinking maybe linoleum tiles but figured they would probably do the same with those too so i am at a total loss.....any advice and tips would be grately appreciated! xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:42 PM
RAT ADDICT

WOW...I am sorry for your losses.
Can you get some of them tested?? Sounds like whatever is going on is contagious!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I dont quite know what is going on tho because they are all in perfect visual health and no problems breathing or anything like that...i am gonna take a couple of each to the vets just to make sure tho but i cant see there is anything going round?? It's been a really tough month for me...i've never cried so much :o( xx

*Carla*
I
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I am at a lose of why they might have pased so fast. But like you siad you had old rats and it could have been thier time. I know that some of my mice have been old and all pass aroudn the same time just becuase of old age.
As for the beding oh mine do that. I have chew toys in thier and they still chew on the baise I think its hard for them the chew but a little softer.
try getting or making out of harder plastic like a baise or a fram to go around the cage to help keep the beding in. As in make the fram around it taller.
As for the treats they could just be bord of them and want something diffrent. Some times we go off our favorit snacks and want some thing diffrent. Try gettting them the seed chews that have the chew stick in the middle oh mine go nuts over it. They have it in walmart for the birds or rabit and giune pigs but I have seen mice and rat ones at pet stroes that all ushally have the same stuff in them. At walmart they are only a buck or 2. Rats can be picky at times as well with chew treats or at lest some of mine are.
I hope their id nothing worng with your rattys and they are all ok. here are few links I have found.
http://ratguide.com/health/
http://www.ratz.co.uk/ailments.html
http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/rathealth.html
http://www.dapper.com.au/rathealthcare.htm
http://www.rattyrascals.co.za/health.html
well that is about all I hope that this info can help you to pin point the probelm or help you out of things it could be.
Diamond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Rodentologist

You definitely need to have a necropsy done on them as they die so you can verify that there's not something going around.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 03:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

if they weren't all the oldies i was gonna say maybe there's more bugs in your garage and they ate some bugs that weren't good for them?

but I would say it's probably just old age, it makes sense if you got them around the same time at the same age!
I'm so sorry for your losses, and for the litter thing, I don't know what advice to give... i use a towel or fleece fabric at the bottom of the cage and just a toilet corner. I change the fabric regularly so it doesn't smell like pee too much!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Oh Carla hun im so sorry i really don't know what could be happening, your such a good mommy to them, i would try to get in contact with an experianced vet and try to get some tests and good advice done, you don't wanna loose anymore! But as others said it might just be old age and its their time. PLEASE keep me updated hun, and im with you all the way! xxx

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 07:04 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Dustette is right about the bugs, Also some one could have spray pesdiseds around the bugs if they didnt die right away could have came in the gradge and they ate them. Bugs can pick up stuff being outside and walk in things that are harmful to pets. Even if your rattyes tasted a bit and didnt like it that bit could have been enugh.
There are no bats around your place like in an attick that you have right. I know someone long ago had her pets that picked up something from the bats she had in her attick and she finnally had to call some one in becuase the old tricks were not working and to many can make people sick plus they carry rabies, distemper and much more. I hope that your sweeties will all be alright and that its just old age.
Diamond

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 09:59 PM

Sorry for your lose please keep us posted. Again sorry.