Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner
4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Padfoot 
#1 ·
Hi all!!!

Algernon has been here almost a month, so I though that I should update on him. 8) He's doing great, grown up a lot, lol. I have been taking him out for 1-2 hours to play every night since he got here and we have made a lot of advance on taming. 8) We usually play either on my couch or in the bathtub. At first he just sat there looking scared. Now he runs around and explores and climbs all over me. He loves shoulders and ears... lol. He's still a bit scared of hands, but not as much as he was at first. If I tap my fingers on the floor, he'll come to them and follow my hand around, but still won't play with me like Uriel used to do. He would also lick my fingers, but if I move to scratch him, he'll run away... Tonight I took some pics while playing in the bathtub. I hope you like them. 8)

Oh! And I have a couple of questions...

First... how much should I feed him? He's a lot bigger than Uriel was when she passed away, he's the about size of an adult female rat now (When Uriel passed she was slightly bigger than Proteus the syrian hamster). I'm used to feed smaller rodents and I'm afraid of being feeding him too much or too little. For measure I use an empty yogies cup and I feed him half a cup of my mouse mix daily. Also, every night he recieves a piece of treat while playing (fresh fruits, fresh veggies, meat, scrambled eggs... ect.) Is this enough or should I feed him more? I think he's a bit skinny... but I've been checking on some of his brothers who are still at work and they are about the same size as him... they are eating lab block...

Also, those of you that take your rats around with you... how to get them used to that? Do they pee and poo much when out with you? In the future, when he's not afraid of hands anymore, I want to start taking him out with me... hehe

Well... enough babbling... here are the pics. Enjoy!

Here he is enjoying tonight's treat, a piece of my dinner... lol
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Licking my toe...

"Mom, the floor is wet"

(yup, not fun to sit on a wet bathtub, but someone decided to take a shower there late tonight... blah...)

What a cute little face!!!

"Ohh! Nesting Material!!! Nice!!!"

See less See more
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
#4 ·
aww...is he the only rat you currently have?

#8 ·
thats awesome, my mom hated rats and one day i got a baby rat and just told her it was a mouse, so she was calm about that, started to like the little guy, and then started to notice this "mouse" geting rather big....but then she got used to the rat by then

#9 ·
Problem is that none of my family, except my nieces, like any of the rodents... lol... they actually think that the mice are gerbils... lol.

The rat, I just told mom "They are giving him to me and I'll bring him in", and the next day I came home with him... Actually, she didn't even see me bringing him into the house, and about a week after that she asked me about the rat I was going to get and I tell her "well, I got him" and she was like "ahhh, you bring animals into the house and I don't even notice... blah blah blah" LOL Then about a week ago she came into my room and asked me where he was while looking at the cages, and then she saw him standing and said "oh, I saw him" with a grossed-out face. That's when she told me not to tell my sis... lol.

They get used to him or not, I expect to be buying him a baby roomate (or 2) by summer at most... 8)

#12 ·
Skratikans said:
thats awesome, my mom hated rats and one day i got a baby rat and just told her it was a mouse, so she was calm about that, started to like the little guy, and then started to notice this "mouse" geting rather big....but then she got used to the rat by then

haha im going to try that one someday!!! =)

--Cute Cute CUTE pictures! I like the one where hes on your shoulder stretching up. =)

#16 ·
With my rats, I make sure their food dish is full ALL the time. They get Mazuri lab blocks as the base to their diet. The problem with a mouse mix is it's very seedy (I don't know what you feed your mice, but usually it's a seed mix) Giving them a treat once in awhile, as long as it's healthy is okay. They're little hogs and will eat everything, trust me. Don't be afraid to feed him. Just make sure that when you give him veggies and fruits you don't feed too much because he'll get the runs.

#17 ·
I forgot to specify... when I say my mouse mix... I mix my own mouse food... it's similar to the suebee's rats diet... and I feed him a treat every night, when he's out with me. (I also feed the mice, gerbils and hams treats every other day... 8P and when I say treats, they include fruits and veggies...)

I can't make sure if the food dish is full all the time cause Algernon is a cage decorator... so his dish, igloo and cage accesories are always thrown around all the time... lol.. today when I went to take him out his igloo was upside-down... silly rat...

#19 ·
Lol, I know what you mean about not knowing if they have food. My boys never leave theirs in the dish for more than half an hour. And who knows where they stash all of it. As soon as I think I have it figured out they start putting it somewhere different.

#21 ·
Haha...most of my rats will empty the dishes within an hour.I do have two boys who will leave their dishes alone,they will take what they want and then thats that.They don't tip their dishes,like everyone else! :rolleyes:

Just keep the dish full,as mentioned,as long as you fill it up once a day,that should be fine.I fill mine up 2 times a day,but then again I have a bunch of ratties!

He looks greyt BTW! Growing so nicely.I love him!!!!

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks! I have him here with me right now (took a break from cleaning cages... lol) and he just marked my mad magazine.... stinky little rattie boy!!!

He's starting to trust me more and more... not so scared of hands now, I can touch him on the back without him running away, and he's explores the couch a bit and runs back to my lap. Ahhh I'm going tomorrow and I'm going to miss him (and Odie) sooo much! LOL I printed out a schedule with feedings and chores for my nieces with the animals while I'm out... heh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.