Update on Algernon (with pics) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Update on Algernon (with pics)

Hi all!!!

Algernon has been here almost a month, so I though that I should update on him. 8) He's doing great, grown up a lot, lol. I have been taking him out for 1-2 hours to play every night since he got here and we have made a lot of advance on taming. 8) We usually play either on my couch or in the bathtub. At first he just sat there looking scared. Now he runs around and explores and climbs all over me. He loves shoulders and ears... lol. He's still a bit scared of hands, but not as much as he was at first. If I tap my fingers on the floor, he'll come to them and follow my hand around, but still won't play with me like Uriel used to do. He would also lick my fingers, but if I move to scratch him, he'll run away... Tonight I took some pics while playing in the bathtub. I hope you like them. 8)

Oh! And I have a couple of questions...

First... how much should I feed him? He's a lot bigger than Uriel was when she passed away, he's the about size of an adult female rat now (When Uriel passed she was slightly bigger than Proteus the syrian hamster). I'm used to feed smaller rodents and I'm afraid of being feeding him too much or too little. For measure I use an empty yogies cup and I feed him half a cup of my mouse mix daily. Also, every night he recieves a piece of treat while playing (fresh fruits, fresh veggies, meat, scrambled eggs... ect.) Is this enough or should I feed him more? I think he's a bit skinny... but I've been checking on some of his brothers who are still at work and they are about the same size as him... they are eating lab block...

Also, those of you that take your rats around with you... how to get them used to that? Do they pee and poo much when out with you? In the future, when he's not afraid of hands anymore, I want to start taking him out with me... hehe

Well... enough babbling... here are the pics. Enjoy!

Here he is enjoying tonight's treat, a piece of my dinner... lol

Licking my toe...

"Mom, the floor is wet"

(yup, not fun to sit on a wet bathtub, but someone decided to take a shower there late tonight... blah...)

What a cute little face!!!

"Ohh! Nesting Material!!! Nice!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

"Mom, please, clean your ears!!!"

Stalking rat... heh

Told you he liked shoulders... hehehe

"I'm so tall!!!"

"Hey, stop reading that crappy mag and pay attention to me!"

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 12:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww, he's so cute!!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww...is he the only rat you currently have?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 04:59 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

awww he is soo cute

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 09:53 AM

Oh, he's adorable!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, yeah, he's the only rat I have... I'm waiting for my family to get used to him to get him a friend (he was kind of a rescue... he's a former lab rat...). My sister still doesn't know about him... mom told me to not tell her anything and when one day she sees him just say that I've had him for such a long time... lol
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

thats awesome, my mom hated rats and one day i got a baby rat and just told her it was a mouse, so she was calm about that, started to like the little guy, and then started to notice this "mouse" geting rather big....but then she got used to the rat by then

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Problem is that none of my family, except my nieces, like any of the rodents... lol... they actually think that the mice are gerbils... lol.

The rat, I just told mom "They are giving him to me and I'll bring him in", and the next day I came home with him... Actually, she didn't even see me bringing him into the house, and about a week after that she asked me about the rat I was going to get and I tell her "well, I got him" and she was like "ahhh, you bring animals into the house and I don't even notice... blah blah blah" LOL Then about a week ago she came into my room and asked me where he was while looking at the cages, and then she saw him standing and said "oh, I saw him" with a grossed-out face. That's when she told me not to tell my sis... lol.

They get used to him or not, I expect to be buying him a baby roomate (or 2) by summer at most... 8)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 03:05 PM

hehe CUTE!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 11:31 PM

I love his name.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans
thats awesome, my mom hated rats and one day i got a baby rat and just told her it was a mouse, so she was calm about that, started to like the little guy, and then started to notice this "mouse" geting rather big....but then she got used to the rat by then

haha im going to try that one someday!!! =)

--Cute Cute CUTE pictures! I like the one where hes on your shoulder stretching up. =)
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 12:20 AM

awww hes adorable
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 PM

Wow, he sure has grown up, and into such a cute little man too!
Great pictures!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Title Thief Victim

I brang home 2 cats once and my mom didnt know..for like 2 months haha..and the same with ferrets, i just brang them..but she didnt know for a long time..like 3 or 4 months lol

Carissasaurus Rex

Tags
female rat, food bowl, lab block, lab blocks, male rat, nesting material, seed mix, syrian hamster