Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Update on baby rats -- a problem as well...

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  storminstaffs 
#1 ·
Before we get to the problem though, some pics! They're growing quite rapidly:

Okay, now the problem. It turns out the black hooded rat is female =[. I don't have anything against females, but if I don't take her out within 2-3 weeks, I could have more rats on my hands than I'd know what to do with! Haha it'd be fun but I don't have the time to raise them ;[. Anyways, all the other rats I have are males. I can't neuter them all just so they can be with her -- but the other problem is that she has bonded with the PEW/Platinum male in this first week of having them. I am actually in the process of constructing a new cage(going to have a thread on that once I finish it...) but yeah...should I just separate her now and get her a friend? Or maybe I could neuter just her male buddy and put them in the newly finished cage? The new cage was for them, btw...but now I'm not so sure.

Anyways, any input would be great...either way it looks like I'll have to alter one of my rats or get yet another rat. :crylaugh:

See less See more
#3 ·
nice cage....is that a martin's? what type of martin's?

you should probably put some kind of flooring for their feet, rats are adorable!

#5 ·
NEUTER THE BOY! you can get a vet to do it in a reasonable price range....20-30, my vet neuters my mice for 15bucks so its not bad, plus if you neuter them all maybe that cost will outweigh the cost of building a cage...or at least neuter her friend

#6 ·
Can you spay rats? I don't know why, but all I ever hear of with rats is neutering.

It's a Martin's cage indeed -- "The Rat Lodge." The entire base is filled with bedding, just the upper levels have exposed wiring on them. They spend most of their time on the bottom unless I come around, so I never lined it with anything. If it becomes a prob I'd do it ASAP.

As for the new cage, I just love building stuff so I was going to build one anyways(construction begins tomorrow).

#7 ·
Some of your exotic vets do spay rats, guinea pigs etc. My vet who spayed my prairie dog also has spayed my sisters rats and her chins. Just be sure it's one that does have experience as it's very delicate surgery and also what thier success rate is related to post-operative complications/deaths.

#10 ·
I say you should get the female spayed.If she is bonded with the male,then I wouldn't seperate them.Either neuter the male or spay the female.Neutering is easier then spaying and is cheaper,but spaying does reduce the cancer risks.

Whatever you do,go to a good vet that knows what they are doing and has experiance in rats.

Cute pics BTW!

#11 · (Edited)
Ahhh thanks for the advice you all. I will definitely follow it in the future because I didn't see it until I got back from the pet store(oh gosh)! I actually got two more baby rats. One was female...and one was male. So what I did was put the new male with the PEW male and the new female with the black hoodie female. She doesn't seem too depressed about the separation and neither does the PEW. I'm glad they're young so all this moving around is probably a lot easier on them(I hope). The baby males are in a spare cage right now, but will be moved in with the big males after the introduction sequence/playtime activity goes smooth. The females will get the new cage all to themselves. I have plenty of space for since my Martin's Cage is huuge -- so yeah I'll now have five male rats in that cage...2 gerbils and a hamster in another cage...a separate holding cage...and a new cage being built tomorrow.

#13 ·
Turkeyman said:
Oh btw I'd like to ask, what is this I've been frosted business? :D
Oh wow! More rats! YAY!!!!! I wanna see some piccies! :D Since they are young,it won't be as stressful on them,as it would if they were all adults.

Thats a little game type thingy.Someone "frosts" you and then you frost a couple ppl and so on and so on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.