Update on how Jack & Annie are doing. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Update on how Jack & Annie are doing.

Well, I figured its been 23 days since I brought my boys home, I'd let you guys know how their doing.

Jack is learning a new trick... 'UP' hes doing well. Hes getting more comfortable with us. He has successfully learned how to crawl off the couch. He is very much an adventurer.. Since he can get down off the couch sometimes we have a hard time trying to keep up with him, we normally find him in the kitchen though.. My husband loves the fact that when he is roaming around he hops. He thinks its so funny.

Annie on the other hand isn't doing so well. He hardly ever wants to come out of his cage.. And if we try to get him out, he stiffens up and spreads all his legs out so its harder to get him out. I don't know what to do to help him. When he is out and on the couch he ALWAYS hides under the pillows. Not exactly sure why. He is kinda starting to get the just of the trick 'UP'. If I try to give him treats while he is out he normally dosn't take them, or if he does he only will eat one or two or put them on the ground.

Hopefully soon, my husband is going to try and make them a bigger cage out of wood or a tall bookshelf so they will have more room to play in.

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

some of my ratties are more comffey in the cage so you may just need to get him out more often. Also some of mine are that way with treats they woudl rather take it and eat it in their cage but I think that is becuase their fodo bowl is in there so they aomaticly are like ok food eat in cage. Depends on the treat weather they can resist it out side the cage.
Thats a cool trick the only ones mine know is no, come, stay, in, and out, or back in. Weather they listen all the time or not is diffrent. Thats cute he hopes when he is on the run.
Diamond
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah. I'm working with them though.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:52 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Some rats take longer then others. But at lest with rats its never a dull moment.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM

Have you tried treats everytime they come out?

My rat Chrys doesn't like to come out of her cage, unless I let her do it on her own. Even then she likes to hide under the covers on my bed. Recently, I've started to give my rats treats every time they come out of the cage. It has helped her improve a little. It will probably take some time, with both of our situations.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

We are trying not to give them treats too much, so that when they do get it then they learn..

Like as in tricks... Jack dosn't get a treat unless he does 'up'.

Maybe I should give annie a treat everytime he comes out... Maybe it will make him more prone to coming out.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

It might help to get him out more. Keep doing what you think is best and if it seems to work go with the flow.
Diamond
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:47 AM

Give them different treats for different things? For example, when they come out of the cage, give them a Cheerio, and when they do the trick, you give them a Yogie?

I hope everything works out!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yeah. I agree.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

So, today I took Jack & Annie to get their nails cut. After it was over and I took them to the car to see how they were I noticed that they nipped the finger part of annies paw. But, didn't seem to be too bad because shes out and playing all around. I'm so happy that their nails are trimmed because they were starting to hurt when we held them. They said Jack did well and of course because annie is still skiddish i think he jumped when they started cutting them and thats when the nipped him.

How often do you wait to trim/cut your ratties nails?

I was also talking to the lady about getting a rabies shot for them and they said that they didn't have anything for them. Do you get rabies shot for your ratties if so, at what age? I guess I need to call around to find someone if they need it done.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I just do it when it hurts me. I used to cut her nails with the smallest cat nail clipper they have at the pet store, but I gave it to my mom for her cats, so I just use the nail clipper I use for my own nails and it works fine!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:45 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

my rats seem to keep them trimed there self and i have things for their teeth and they dig and scartch aroudn the cage so they may be sharp but they are really short.
Dont know about the shots. I was told about my ferrets i can but dont have to but I have to warn people that they dont have shots but they can not if bitten ask for the animal to be put done becuase my right over rides that is asking them to be checked in qiruntin to see if they have it. It is is some places if a rat bites some one that they were destryoed then tested but acording to my vet they dont have to be killed to be checked They can be checked like any other animal kept in qurintine and monitered to see if its rabies, distemper or they just didnt like the person.
It would not hurt if you take them out and about. around her only cats and dogs are required to have the rabies. The ferrets and rats no not even if I do edjucations I make people sign a waver before holding them. That they get bit they have the right to have them tested only threw qurintine. So far no problems and I only let them hold ones that are used to people, Some of my critters like people but are jumpy around new people becuase they dont know them. But that is normal.
It dont hurt to ask your vet if its required were you live. But if they go outside it would be a good idea becuase a rabit critter can pase threw you yard and when your pets are at play can pick it up from the slober the have and even dryed you pet steps in it then licks him self they have it. and some breack out quiker then others all my pets have mostly stayed in this year becuase of the fleas and some cases of rabies that were around close. Oh the fleas were horible this year I coulnt walk out side with out getting coverd in them and the cats ushally go out in a tie out but they coudlnt becuase of that reason. so the dogs were bumbed becuase the walks unless cool out they could not go out only to the potty and that was it. Even the good flea stuff didnt help to good.
Diamond