update on rat pups - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

update on rat pups

my rat pups are now 3 weeks, 3 days old at my best guess. they've been munching at the pet block and veggies i put in their cage for the mom rat and have been more and more active each day. i've seen them wrestling, popcorning, playing in the paper tubes and generally just having a good time.

mom rat seems like she's just utterly exhausted all the time and has started spending more and more time away from them up the ramp which the pups can't get to yet. she seems to only go back down into the hide to nurse and even that isn't as frequent as it was when i first got them.

should i move the pups now, since they're eating the pet block and mom is spending ample amounts of time away from them or just leave them in there for another week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

The baby rats shouldn't be separated from their mum until they are 5 weeks old, then they NEED to be separated or you are going to have a lot of pregnant girls and babies!
I would love to see pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

k. i just feel bad for mama rat cause she looks so tired! soon as i get to 20 posts i'll put pics up ^_^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I would maybe take her out and give her a little break away from the babies, since they are old enough. Just let her sit with you or run around a bathtub for a little 'mom time' to relax
Just keep an eye on the babies!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

whenever we hold the babies we take the mom out and put her in the extra cage we have, actually the cage into which we're putting one of the two sexes, so she can have some alone time. when i was putting her back after getting some socialization done last time she did NOT want to go back in with her babies! it was kinda funny, she grabbed onto the top of the cage, jumped out when i finally got her unhooked and i had to grab her really quickly so she couldn't run away. she was bound and determined to stay away from her babies, and gave me the evilest look when i finally got her back in.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 11:45 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Hmm:/ That's strange.
Maybe she just needs a little spa day?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

she could. i'm going to be home all day tomorrow and plan on giving her lots of time away from the pups, probably just let her play in the bathtub with a couple tubes or something.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am sure she will love having some run around time in the bathtub (we put our two boys on top of our bed for free play and they love it) and I am glad the babies are doing well! Can't wait to see pictures! Sounds like you are doing a great job.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.