update on scaredycat rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

update on scaredycat rat

Right now she is alone, i havent noticed that she has eatin or dranken anything sence she was in the big cage so she is alone in the tank topper and tank so i can monitor it for a day or too

i actually havent seen her go to a diffrerent level in the cage either... maybe it was too early to put her in there? she gets along fine with the others but could the cage be too big and scarey for her?

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-14-2007, 11:27 PM

Wow, that's one scaredy rat! Rats are interesting creatures...it takes some of them FOREVER to even want to explore outside their cage. You put them in an area for a day, and they'll claim it to be theirs. You take them out of there and they'll poop and pee everywhere and go crazy hahaha. It's possible she just liked one corner of the cage. Did you put a pile of food in front of her, or a water bottle down near where she is? I used to use food bowls, but now I just scatter food so they can search for it and find it...and sometimes ill place the pile in front of a rat that maybe doesn't get its fair share every so often.

I think she'd be fine in the cage...she probably just doesnt want to go anywhere. Bring the sustenance to her, I'd say.

If that doesn't work...back to the mouse? I'd say instead of a mouse -- maybe just a fifth rat altogether! It'd be worth it for her sake and you might get an amazing rat out of it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i put her back in the cage, she ate in the small cage, i think i might just not have seen her sence she does her best not to be in veiw when being watched... my boyfriend says he saw her eat and i have seen her drink... i had to vacuum by their cage tonight though that probably scared her more... my other rats oddly like it so maybe she wasnt as scared of it as id think... i dont like the sound of the vacuum

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:50 AM

When I have Sherlock out and I have to vacum she will actually follow the vacum around!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 10:25 AM
Will It Ever Change?

strange, best wishes hun!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i always thought that they were scared of louder noices but she got out last night (i was holding her and she squirrmed away) and i got her back by making lots of noice with the carpet and my hand (my other rats love this and chase your hand all silly like) she came running out to see what it was. rats are silly...

[/CENTER]

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
Will It Ever Change?

lol sounds cute! my advice, get her in your hands and put her in your sweater collar (wearing a hoodie helps). my mookie LOOOVES me all because i put him my sweater for an hour in the morning and an hour at least at night. he popcorns all over the place and licks me so much he has to go get many drinks. it's the best way she can bond with you. let her explore your torso, she might even sleep in your sleeve

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 04:55 PM

Ah yes, I was going to suggest the sleeve. Any shirt with long, loose, and warm sleeves are definitely a thumbs up.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

thats where she is most of the time when i have her out or in my pocket. she hardly ever comes out and if i touch her she runs back in

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Will It Ever Change?

she'll come out when she's ready, trust me

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-15-2007, 09:49 PM

Be aware that some rats never really come around, though. Theyre naturally fearful animals and some just retain that instinct so much better than others. I understand even the scaredies can be partially socialized...but for the most part they'd prefer a cage corner to walking around outside or on you. I've had two like this that have passed on...and two of my males right now are like this. The other two males have come around, though they're still big whimps haha.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i hope that she grows to like me enough that i can come pick her up if i need to, and she doesnt hide behind the cage everytime i take her out... she is out when i am not in the room or when im sleeping but as soon as she hears me shes gone

[/CENTER]

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 06:56 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww...lol...now thats one scared rat...maybe treats, calling her name, so she ll get used to the sound of her voice..it just takes a little time

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

i hope so. its hard when she wont take food

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-17-2007, 04:41 PM

if you just leave her in her cage with all the other rats she will come around. When she sees that everyone else gets treats and gets petted she will realize your not bad.

Tags
food bowl, food bowls