Updates - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Updates

I haven't been on here in almost a year (lots of things've been going on), so I have quite a bit to talk about.
First off, only two of the original thirteen mice are left (Cocoa and Twinkie); the seven males were released into the wild by my dad (I still haven't forgiven him for this), and four of the six females have since died: Vanilla was caught by my cat :'( and Lucky (the mother mouse, whom I had raised since she was a pinky), Fudge, and Marshmallow died from...something. It might have been fleas, or it might have been old age (the last two are approaching their second birthday). Lucky was first; she started losing weight and urinating a lot, and then she started scratching and her fur came off...towards the end she could barely move and she was so bony and frail and balding...it was really sad. I'm not sure exactly when she died (I told my mom not to tell me when it happened), but not long after, Marshmallow died. I don't think it was from the same disease, though, as she wasn't nearly as thin and hairless as Lucky had been. One day she just...wasn't alive anymore. The last to go was Fudge, from the same thing that killed her mom.

On a lighter note: Cocoa and Twinkie appear to be doing well, albeit a little thinner and balder than before. They're eating adequately, though, and I haven't noticed any bladder problems yet. We've been putting some flea medicine on their backs every now and then, and I think there's some medicine in their water bottle, so something must be working. I'm just hoping they'll make it past their second birthday (August 4). After they pass on, I don't think I'll be getting any more mice for a while, at least not until I graduate (I'm a junior now) and go to college.

Also, some non-mouse related pet updates: I bought a giant black African millipede a couple months ago...his name's Nigel and he's about 81/2 inches long. I feed him tomatoes and lettuce and sometimes some vegetable or fruit compost, which I sometimes sprinkle with fish bone powder for the calcium. He stays in a 21"x12"x15" tank with about two-three inches of peat soil, which I keep damp with a Fluker's mini-dripper. I have a small heating pad in one corner, too, although it's been pretty warm lately, so I don't think he really needs it anymore. I've also been letting him crawl around outside, which he seems to enjoy.
Any suggestions or information on millipede care is welcome...

I'll post some pics as soon as I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Will It Ever Change?

hi and welcome back!! sorry about your mice but such is nature.....has her own mind! do you have any pictures to go with your updated welcome?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 08:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

Welcome back.
I am sorry to hear about your mice,but I would hold off on the flea meds...I am not sure what your using,but many can be harmful to mice.I would never use them,without a small animal vet's consent.

As for the pede! Congrats! Post pics soon!I had one,she recently passed on and I am in search of a new one now,either that species or another. They are awesome little guys I think....or big..mine was 11-12 inches! Heh. Anyway if it is warm,I would take the heat pad out/turn it off.Millipedes need more humidity then heat.

Give him some leaf matter which you can collect outside,but be sure to freeze/bake it before adding it in with your pede.

PM me if you need to know anything else about millipedes.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Cocoa and Twinkie

Nigel

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 05:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

Great pics!
LOVE the millipede!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like your mice may be pregnant.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 11:16 AM

Wow I have never seen a millipede that big. Awesome.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 11:21 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

Yh your mice do look pregnant! Not very good considering there age

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

No, they're not pregnant, just fat. There aren't any males left, so there's no way they could be.