urgent! escapee situation! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

urgent! escapee situation!

i'm in london at the moment for university interviews and i left my brother in charge of my pets. all was going well until tonight. the rats and the hamster have escaped, all the rats have been put back, so that's not a problem, but the hamster is still missing.

the rats were most likely out at the same time as the hamster, so i'm worried that something could have happened to her. is is likely that the rats would have *wince* killed her? would they have eaten her? if they did, would there be any traces left?

i'm so worried.

(as a footnote: i've posted my hamster finding issues on the hamster board, i posted this here because i want to know about the rats)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

i dont think rats would result to cannibalism that fast, and usually docile animals (excluding lizards) wont eat live animals in most cases. thats all i can offer, i really hope you can find your hamster!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Part of the Pack

I highly doubt the rats would have harmed the hamster, as long as they are not starving. Hamsters tend to be more vicious anyways.

Find him quick, lol. Hamsters are notorious for making beautiful nests in suit coat shoulder pads and collecting spare seed or food from around the house into it's newfound 'dens' in random places around the house.

The easiest way to catch a hamster is a live trap. Baited with some aromatic peanut butter, you'll have him safely back in 'custody' in no time at all. If you have small critters like rats/hamsters a small live trap is indispensable.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

There could be a possibility that the rats hurt the hamsters since they can be predators in to smaller animals. I'm sure if the rats hurt the hamster, if someone was home they would have heard it.

I would definitely vacuum all the floors and try to get up every bit of crumbs you can find. I would also check around in closets and try to plug any holes there may be. Hamsters can live in walls for weeks. Good Luck!

*Missy*
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 01:28 AM
I am allergic to maths

My last hamster escaped and lived in the wall for three weeks...
I doubt the rats would have touched the hamster, how many rats do you have? The hamster and the rats probably went in different directions as they have different eye-sight and sence of adventure. Keep ALL your doors closed and sit in each room quitly (sp?) to see if you can hear it, if not look through everything, search everywhere and if you dont find him move on to the next room
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

the small animal trap is genius. im going to be getting on that now. if i dont find her this evening, i'll sit in the room silent. and see if i can hear her.

thankyou so much guys!

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 08:23 AM
I am allergic to maths

How did it go?

Tags
escapee