urgent - potential orphans - need info - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-25-2004, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation urgent - potential orphans - need info

Hi. Yesterday afternoon, my husband uncovered a rats nest under a woodpile next to our house. There were 9 pups in the nest. He wanted to move them because he didn't like having them near the house, so we caught the mother and put her and the pups in a box and moved them to a wooded area on our property. We turned the box on it's side so they could get out and the mom was feeding them when we set the box out. She got up, ran into some brush, then came back and sniffed at the pups in the box and ran back into the brush. We left them alone, thinking she would make a nest and then move the pups. This morning, I checked on them, and the pups were still in the box, but there was no nesting material inside and no sign of the mom. I checked again this afternoon, and there is still no sign of the mother. The pups look to be about two weeks old (they have hair, but their eyes are not opened, they're about 2 1/2 inches long, not counting the tail). When I checked them this evening, they were still alone. A couple of them seemed to be cleaning themselves. My question is, would they still be alive if the mom abandoned them? If she abandoned them after we set them out, it has been 24 hours since they've eaten. If she has abandoned them, I will try to feed them or find someone who can, but if she might be coming and feeding them, I don't want to take them from her. What do you think? Please respond as soon as possible. I haven't been able to find anyplace in my area that has any knowledge or is willing to help with wild rats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 02:58 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

I'm sorry, I have no idea how you would go about fostering them. I would think that if they're still alive in there then the mother is probably taking care of them. Would it be possible to call a fet and ask about feeding them? Hopefully somebody with more experiance can help you out more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 10:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

A wildlife rehabilitator would be your best bet.

Stephanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sadly the wildlife folks I have spoken with in the past were not really concerned with baby ratties, maybe some would give it a go. If you can see the babies tummies you can tell if mommy is feeding them, it does get a bit harder as they have hair. If there is a white stripe under their skin that is the milk band, but I do not see her leaving them were they are and comming back to care for them there. It does sound like they have been abandoned. You can try to raise them yourself. The best substitute milk to use is soy human baby formula. Do not try the kitten or puppy milk. You can use a pipe cleaner or even a q-tip to dip into the milk and than offer the babies. Even just a teeny bit of mik at a time will help. You might be able to find a rat breeder in your area who could help. Often a doe that is still lactating will take in orphan babies. Mine have many many times. Wish I was close enough to help.

Marianne

Tags
nesting material