URI dilemma - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

URI dilemma

so, Louna is sneezing again, exactly the same as before her antibiotic treatment in jan-feb. She was fine for a few weeks and now it's almost as bad as before (less mucus coming from her nose though)
I have a feeling she has chronic URI, I don't think I would ever be able to treat it and for it to go away completely.
Is there an affordable solution to keep it from getting really bad? I can't afford baytril AND doxy everyday twice a day the rest of her life, she's not even 10 months old.
Is it possible let's say that a one day dose of just baytril could help her not treat it perfectly but keep it from getting worse or she'll just get used to the meds and it won't work after a while?
Would it be worth it to do a second whole month of doxy+baytril or if it doesn't erradicate once it's gonna come back just the same the second time?
Was just wondering if some of you had any advice on that, I'm gonna call my vet and ask what she thinks but also want your opinions because I trust your advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

How long was she on the meds the first time? It is possible that she is having flare ups because of something else (candles, strong smells, smoke, bedding etc.)

There are other meds your vet can try if he/she doesn't think the doxy/baytril combo is working.

*Missy*
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Give us ALL her symptoms and severity of...is it just sneezing?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

so she was on doxy+baytril for a month, and the symptoms stopped after about 3 weeks of treatment and didn't come back for a few weeks.
Right now, she sneezes, if she sneezes close to my skin it's wet, so she has discharge (which is see-through) that comes out when she sneezes and from time to time she'll snort from that discharge. I had her taken to the vet before because she sneezed pretty much the whole time I had her but didn't have discharge and around christmas she had a snotty nose and more discharge than usual. I never see porphorin around her nose or eyes, she always cleans it.
I have her on a towel and a corner toilet of hemp bedding. the rest of the things in her cage are in fleece.
When I went to the vet last time she asked me about everything I did to take care of louna: bedding, listing what she ate etc... and she said that it wasn't her current environnment. She listened to the lungs and there was no fluid in the lungs.
She doesn't sneeze or breathe weird when she is sleeping. Right now she probably sneezes once every 3-5 minutes, less if she's very calm.

Last edited by Dustette; 03-16-2010 at 09:31 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

oh and when she sneezes it's more than once at a time, it's like she does it until the liquid in her nose comes out and clears out her nose.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 07:18 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

She may be a sinus-y, sneezy rat. You could try benadryl to see if its allergies first, but I don't think she needs abs unless you get that 2nd symptom again.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

if I give benadryl, how much should I give?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:26 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
if I give benadryl, how much should I give?
buy it first, then email me and I'll help you work out a dosage. I would need the concentration and an approx weight of your rat

[email protected]

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

thank you
Does it have to be benadryl? I have Zyrtec that I use for myself (cetirizine).
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2010, 06:35 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
thank you
Does it have to be benadryl? I have Zyrtec that I use for myself (cetirizine).
Benadryl children's dye-free, etc liquid is the only one safe for rats.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

i am putting off buying the benadryl because we turned off the heat now that the weather is better, and it seems her sneezing is getting better! maybe she just needs a humidifier!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Have you had her out since the weathers been nice or the window open? she could just be sneezing due to the climet change. The last couple day we have open windows and had the fan on low to cerculate the air since all winter we've been locked up so to speek. and some of my rats started sneezing but it was gone by the next day.
I do hope that its not URI. But if it is a do wish you a speey recovery.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.

Tags
uri chronic