Veggie and Fruit Amounts for 7 week olds? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Veggie and Fruit Amounts for 7 week olds?

Hi All!
Question on fruits and veggies. My two baby boys are now 7 weeks old and I know that veggies and fruits are to be given sparingly to avoid diarreah (sp?), so I have been trying to feed very tiny amounts but I never know how much is not enough or too much?

For instance, they love tomato and dark green leafy type lettuce but I was so concerned with not overdoing it that I for one snack I gave them roughly two pieces of tomato that could each fit on a fingernail and 4 bits of lettuce that were probably no bigger than a quarter sized coin each. Am I being too cautious?

How many days a week can I give them small bits of fruit and veggie without causing stomach upsets and so forth? They love those frozen peas and carrots and a single piece is so small, can I give them one or two of those a day or is that too much?

I would rather be able to let them have fruit pieces and veggie bits in very small portions and be able to give it to them more often, rather than a big amount one or two days a week if you know what I mean. Any opinions on how much and how often? Thanks in advance!
Vlad

Last edited by Vladina; 09-09-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Forgot to say that these are baby rats, not mice, sorry for not clarifying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for asking this! I've also been wondering what quantities other people give their rats, and now wonder if I'm giving too many vegetables to my seven-week-olds. I give them dry food all day long, and then at my dinner time between the two of them they get a small saucer-sized plate with kale and then another vegetable, plus some type of carbohydrate (pasta, rice, whole wheat bread with olive oil).

Too much?? (Neither one of them is overweight, and I actually think Russell could stand to gain a bit...)

Oh, I should also state that neither of them has had a problem with diarrhea... I guess that's been my gauge for the amount...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah, I guess one of the best gauges would be whether their poop is runny or not, so that would be a dead giveaway if they are getting too much of the fruits and veggies, true!
Speaking of bread and olive oil that you mentioned, my little guys love having a small chunk of wheat/grain bread with some olive oil on it and I tried that after reading someone's post about giving it to her babies, but I can't remember if bread and oil is okay for a daily thing or is it once a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:41 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I haven't given it to them daily, but I don't see why you couldn't as long as it's not a big part of their overall diet. (Oil is very good for their skin and fur, so giving a tiny bit of that daily could definitely be good.) Basically, you want fresh fruits and vegetables to be somewhere around 20% of their main diet overall. Some people in a British forum that I visit actually make their own rat diet, called the "Shunamite Diet", and then supplement that with the fresh food.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 AM

I give my ratties olive oil. Bella and Velvet, the hairless and the double rex, get an olive oil rub down every couple of days when they start to look a little dry. It really helps with their skin. Other than that, they get a little every couple of days with their veggies. I make a kind of salad for them and put a little oil on it. They seem to enjoy licking it off of each other better though.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 PM

What worrywarts we have around here!

You can feed them a bit of veggies throughout the day. They won't over-stuff themselves, they'll eat just what they want (and love it). There ARE certain veggies/fruit not to give them, but other then that, there's really no set amount.

It's okay. Really. One fun thing to do is hardboil an egg, crack open a spot just so they can smell it and get a taste, and let them go with it. It's so much fun to watch!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yep, there is no worrywart quite like a new rat mom!
Well, better to worry and try to get it right than to not care, right? If they get runny poop, I will know I went overboard a bit with the veggies, eep! Ahh the joys of mommyhood...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 05:59 AM

Indeed!

And it's great you care! There should be more people in the world that are as caring about animals as the people here on PT.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khodieylia View Post
Indeed!

And it's great you care! There should be more people in the world that are as caring about animals as the people here on PT.

I agree!!!

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Here is a list of what foods not to feed your rats just incase any of the ones you are wanting to feed to them you can't.
http://www.petratscanada.com/forbidden_foods.htm

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ah, thanks for that list! I have a similar list in one of my rat books but this one has a couple of extra items not listed in my book. Good to know!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Np

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."