Veggie Problem? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

Veggie Problem?

I have been trying all kings of fruits and veggies for my rats but all they'll eat is dehydrated bannanas, fresh apples,carrots and frozen peas is that enough variety for them and are there tricks to getting them to eat more veggies?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

That's good. If they don't eat the rest it's okay. You could try more of the "exotic" lettuces like kale and bok choy (sp?). As long as you're giving them a good lab block, the supplements shouldn't matter. You don't want to give them anything too watery or it will give them the poops.

*Missy*
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

The only green stuff I can attempt to feed them is avocado which they taste then leave it.

1 Cat- Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Oily Chickenspew

did you try some baby food?? sometimes they LOVE that stuff (and you can get them their greens )

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

No I didn't know rats can be fed babyfood. Is there a certain good and bad type? I'll try that got any suggestions?

1 Cat- Luna
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:24 AM
RAT ADDICT

I give my rats babyfood sometimes.It is especially good for older rats who have problems eating.

I feed all kinds of it.My rats love the fruity ones the best and sweet potatoe.Oh and peas.They just love the stuff.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 01:47 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Whatever is good for you is good for the rats. Ever try hard boiled eggs?

You can give them Ensure too...that's rat crack

*Missy*
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 08:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

Very true! Rats have a diet very similar to humans.I gave my rats egg before and they went nuts for it!

* Lisa *

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i give my boys a little of whatever is left on my plate...peas, corn, carrots, raisins, bread with jam or peanut butter, ground beef, eggs, chicken, they love it all. i dont' give them so much that they have to choose what to eat. everyday they get something different, certainly keeps them interested

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
laugh often

I use garlic or garlic powder when I cook (or any other kinds of nice seasonings.) and I don't know which seasoning could be bad for my rats or mice. So outta table scraps they get crackers,bread,raisin bread,cereal,granola,carrots,frozen peas. occassional peice of cheese. But I got the girls to eat a little more veggies through wonderful babyfood.

1 Cat- Luna
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 04:40 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,baby food is wonderful! It is definatly a favorite for ratties!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

yeah it is thanks for helping me out soo much. I'm sure my ratties are even more grateful.

1 Cat- Luna
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:15 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwwww!

* Lisa *

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
laugh often

Ok I'm sorry for bothering ya'll with all these questions I just dont know where else to ask. My most picky eater Rita stopped eating the baby food and won't touch the ensure. Can carrots,peas and apples, dried bannanas be enough for her I just can't get her to chow down on anything else.

1 Cat- Luna
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Have you tried sweet potatoes yet? How about raw corn on the cob (mine go insane for that...lots of screaming "mine, mine!" and tug-o-war with the cobs. Leaf lettuce is good (never iceberg), broccoli and cauliflower if they like it (mine don't), green beans, lima beans, squash sometimes etc. Just remember that lab blocks are nutritionally complete for your ratties but we all love to supplement their diets. Watch the fruits, they need veggies more than fruits. Try low-fat live culture yogurt to help the gut flora, etc.
Avocado is good for putting weight on rats but its very fattening. Plus a lot of people put a bit of mayo in it to get them to eat it. Mine won't touch it alone. There's also melon, a little grape, and banana for fruits.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
lab block, lab blocks, rat food, table scraps