A vet that listens, I love him! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

A vet that listens, I love him!

I finally found my rat vet, after much arduous searching. We have taken our various ratties to several places. Some didn't even seem to be comfortable handling them. Most gave us weak non-working antibiotics instead of the baytril we requested so that we had to go back several times, the last one tried to guilt me into rushing into Boris's hernia surgery by saying "Now aren't you going to feel bad if you come home and it has strangulated?" I don't like being manipulated.

We took our hairless rescue and our new guy to a new vet last night. Boris has gotten a little better about sneezing since his last antibiotic but not all the way, and the baby I just wanted to get generally checked out since he's new to us.

The vet knew how to handle them. They weren't afraid of him. When I said we have sneezing and porphyrin problems that the other antibiotic helped but didn't cure he said, "That's probably because the other antibiotic is too weak and you need baytril."

When I asked him about Boris's hernia and our fear about putting him through surgery with respiratory problems he leveled with me. He said the hernia was a large opening so stuff could move in and out easily which means it's very unlikely to strangulate. He also said if you push it in frequently navel hernias in babies often close on their own. Finally he said there's less than a 10% chance of it strangulating suddenly with no warning. And that there was a much greater risk with putting a rat with respiratory problems under anesthesia so i didn't need to feel rushed to correct it before I felt comfortable that he was strong and healthy.

I'm so excited to finally have a vet that we can trust! It has really put my mind at ease about all my babies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 04:05 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

OMG that is so great can you ask him to move over here lol. I am yet to find a really good rat vet! When i took Missy for her appointment i was telling the vet everything lol

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 06:55 AM
RAT ADDICT

Thats awesome!! I am glad to hear that! It seems pretty hard to find a good small animal vet these days.

My vet is good and I like her,so no worries here.I have went to a few vets in the past where I had to correct them on some stuff and one who didn't even know how to handle a rat and hurt my baby! And one asked me once if my rat with an RI was "throwing up"...I had to tell her rats cannot vomit!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2008, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah in our time with trying to find a good rat vet, we found one that barely looked at them and then gave a prescription antibiotic that said for dogs only. Also they caught mites in that vet's office. Then we had the guy who looked freaked out and grossed out when Boris crawled in his shirt, would barely touch him at all and tried to guilt us into rushing into hernia surgery while he's still having respiratory problems.

This one is by far the best and also happens to be closest to our house. So it's wonderful!