want a rat - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

View Poll Results: Male OR female
male 7 63.64%
female 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

want a rat

im thinking of getting a rat rats just wandering if i shoul go male or female any sugestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

first of all get 2
i have got 2 boys and there really laid back i done some research on rats just before i got my 2 babies and heres a wee paragraph i got from the net hope this helps ..

Generally speaking, male rats make better "lap" pets, preferring to sit and have their ears scratched by an attentive human friend. Female rats are very curious, and love to explore and play games. Both genders make great companions. I recommend getting a pair of males *or* females (they are very social creatures and really like to have a cagemate of the same gender!) because they both are absolutely charming. I would suggest you *let a rat pick you* when you go pick them up, and then get a friend of the same gender and age (a littermate would be great if there's one available), so your new rattie won't be lonely when you aren't around to play.

its basically what you think suits you best both make brilliant pets

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I voted male because they are sooo sweet and everything Claire said lol. I would recommend males also because females are prone to tumours, although I do wanna try female myself! Female are smaller and less squishy than males, they are slightly harder to handle as they are always on the go, so for first timers I always say male. Do your homework about ratties though cus they are soo interesting, I got addicted so be careful LOL
Get some, it's definatly worth it!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:48 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yes, def get two, its a MUST once you see them together. i like boys, they're lazy and slow and squishy!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh yes, a cagemate is mandatory. That's why it's good to get two at the same time from the same source so that they don't have to be alone during the quarantine period.

It all depends on what you want, if you don't mind a little stinkiness and you really want a calm laid back shoulder and lap rat that will cuddle and hang out then get a male (they're really my favorites)

If you want to observe all the social behaviors, playing, and activity that they can be known for and prefer an animal that keeps its cage cleaner and smells like grapes (ya know instead of rat pee) then go female. They're all great it's all about preference. We have both because I can't get enough boy ratties, and my husband loves the girlies.

Incidentally I have an excellent healthy big litter of 10 that will be ready in about 5.5 weeks. They came from a rat that was unfortunately pregnant when we got her so I can't vouch for the pedigree but I can tell you they're quite healthy, they've received the best of care and at only 5 days old they're already becoming accustomed to human handling, certainly better than a petsmart rat if you're interested
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

ok i know i just put up this tread but i couldnt help myself.
so i went to petco just looking at stuf and getting some feeder krickets and worms and i noticed two ladies having some kind of issue with the small rat tank so i go and check it out on the way to the register and there is blood everywhere and a pice of rat tail stuck on the water bottle hanger well any way they wer pulling the rats out to find the injured one so i asked if i could help and they said sure(they seemd prety scared of the ratsand handling them) so i put my hand in the tank and this little beuty http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...2/9ad1eda6.jpg i think im gonna call her jasmine cam rite up and got right in my hand crawled up my arm curled up under my shirt on my shoulder and started to tickle and lick my ear. I was hooked at that moment and said ill take her then i picked up and checked ot the rest of the ones in that cage and this one my i think ill call areetha http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...2/f8e50ffd.jpg was the helthiest looking one so i got her too.
I know geting a rat from there is probably not the best of ideas but im gonna take them to my vet tomorrow to have them checked out but they both seem pretty helthy so im hoping for the best
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

ok i dont know why the pics are so small it only seems to do it on this forum dont know why
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

awww they sound so sweet congratulations, told you it would be hard not too get addicted! LOL hehe, love the names!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

CongRATS on your newbies.

I love all rats,but personally love the males.
I have 4 males now and they are all super sweet!!!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Can't blame you, we've all fallen victim to the cute rattie we know we shouldn't buy from the chain store but just cant stand to leave there. I have one myself. Not a bad idea to do a vet check and of course keep them totally separate from other animals for a few weeks! They're very cute!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 07:01 PM

I voted for males. I have two females, but I have heard that males are very cuddly and laid back. When I get new rats, I am definately getting males. But I do love my Daisy & Lily!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 11:19 PM
Will It Ever Change?

congrats on your new ratties!!!!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Will It Ever Change?

p.s. have you had rats before? you'll find they're like dogs with how much they love human attention. i say your girl holding one, that is so sweet!! try sitting on the couch or bed, wear baggy clothes and let them run around, guarantee they'll love crawling in your clothes and learning your body, and it tickles!

Tags
female rat, female rats, male rat, male rats