Wanted Fied Mouse =( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Wanted Fied Mouse =(

I recently came across a baby fulvous field mouse while on a camping trip in oklahoma, its mother was snatched by a owl (we witnessed this). I became attached to this little critter especially after seeing its mother be taken from it. That night hit a low in the 30's so i tucked him in a sock, then in a shoe then in my sleeping bag with me.

I got up early the next morning to find that he was ok and full of energy and brought him to the ranger/nature center... they said "kill it or we can feed it to the snake." i opted out of that plan and cut my trip short, went to the local walmart for eye droppers and kitten milk, he ate and appeared to be doing well. i made the 4 hr trip back to dallas with "desparo" the mouse in hand to bring him to my girlfriend who is a elem teacher and wanted to put him in her classroom.

to make a long story short. the little mouse did not make it. despite all the love attention and care he just stopped breathing in my hands. he went warm and fuzzy and with company which is better than some people get but i truely became attached to this mouse.

I would love more than anything to adopt atleast 2 fulvous harvest mice but am having no luck in the search. I stumbled on this web site and figured if anyone could help me it would be you all. Please keep your eyes and ears open for adoptable field mice in the dallas/ft worth area and keep me in mind if you do.

Thank you so much!
P Cunningham

p.cunningham (at) flash.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I don't advocate taking animals that should be in the wild, and domesticating them. If you find them as baby, and nurse them from that point on, to me, that's a different story. Otherwise, I wouldn't advise it.

That said, I understand where you're coming from. I found one baby field mouse awhile ago, nursed it, but it still died. It often correlates with the age. If it was barely developed, still a little pink, and its eyes and ears were only just beginning to develop, the chances of being able to nurse it to adulthood aren't very high. While, if the ears are developed, and if its just a few short days from opening its eyes, the chances of it surviving to adulthood are MUCH higher.

Honestly, I think you'd just be better off adopting two or three mice from your local pet store which saves them from being snake feed. Also, I've read it's difficult to keep males together unless they're brothers. So the chances of you finding female field mice, and ONLY female aren't extraordinarily high.

..In any case, good luck.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

even if that mouse had survived, it would have probably been unhappy in a cage. Domestic mice are already hard to really domesticate and be able to take them out the cage, but a wild one is worse. They're attached and love humans who hand raise them while they are being fed by them, but the instinct almost always kicks back in, and any other person than the one feeding them would be bitten if they tried to handle that mouse.
I know it's not exactly the same thing, but consider getting domestic mice that are similar in color to the wild ones you like!
I mean it's sort of a far fetched comparison, but it's like if you rescued a wild baby wolf and now you wanted to adopt wolves. They're wild animals, so they aren't sold or bred a lot, if at all.
But domestic mice, who are much gentler and easier to handle ARE! and they're very cute animals!
Wild animals are very fragile, and changing the diet from mother's milk to kitten milk isn't an assured way to save them, even if they already have hair. The kitten milk needs to be warmed to body temp, the mouse has to be warm, and then you have to be careful that the milk doesn't come back up through the nose, otherwise that can cause respiratory infections, drowning etc... Even if the mouse is fine after having milk coming back up in the nose, a few days later it can be sick from it. Also most animals need extra than just the replacement milk. We use esbilac (which is PUPPY replacement milk) or goat's milk sometimes, baby cereal and heavy cream.
I rescue wild animals, wild mice included, and it's hard to save such little babies. It was so kind and great of you to take care of it, but wild animals almost always make bad pets. And also do not feel guilty that it died, a lot of animals die for no apparent reason, it could have had a disease before you got it.
Even when we get handicapped or neurologically handicapped animals we release them. If we hadn't been there to rescue them in the first place, nature would have taken its toll at one point or another. Another rehabber kept a squirrel once, very neurologically handicapped to the point it couldn't really feed by itself or walk (balance problems) and she grew SO attached to it she decided to keep it for educational purposes and she teaches children the importance of preserving and respecting wildlife with him.
I'm wandering off now... but yes, I think you should adopt domestic mice, possibly rescue them from a shelter if possible, to give a loving home to animals who REALLY need it I'm not sure thre's a lot of mice in shelters, but after that a reputable breeder would be good. Try to avoid pet shops!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh, hey, on that note, another thing you could do is catch and release. We've done that quite often, and the satisfaction of it is tremendous. Why, just last night I released a mouse that was traumatized by the cats in the house. One of the cats caught him, licked him to get a taste, and then let him go. So I saw the mouse huddled in the hallway, curled up against the wall. I had to chase him around for a bit before I was finally able to catch him, and then I set him free in our woods. He was a little disorientated, but he found a nice little duvet amongst some leaves and fallen pine cones and shrubbery.

Always be on the look out for animals that need a few moments of peace and quiet before being released back into the wild.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Or, you could help your local wildlife rehabilitators Mice aren't the most common animal brought to rehabbers so they usually have their hands full with other critters and I'm sure they'd appreciate the help! each summer in new york we get baby wild mice about 2 times. And then get the gratification of having saved a few babies!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the Information, i understand a wild animal is always wild and warned my gf that he could most likely not be handled without a bite or 2. I was lucky enough to have some prior experience with baby rats and provided it with "warmed" kt milk and a couple grains of cooked white rice which he held and nibbled. I was also sure to try to maintain a warm temp for him. His eyes were opening and his little teeth were developing so I was sure he had a good chance.

I wouldnt ever go out of my way to remove a wild animal from its natural habitat and wouldnt go and catch another just for a pet. As an outdoorsman ive seen many animals follow the life cycle and been responsible for some (always eating anything i kill) but this little mouse caught my heart. I was hoping that maybe someone had rescued and needed help raising some, but i guess at that point it would be better to catch and release (as someone said)

I went to petsmart yesterday and saw several full grown female "fancy" mice one of which resembled the fulvous but i was hoping to find young ones that had just been weened. I was considering finding a snake food outlet and saving 2 of those.Also my gf will be needing a male and female to demonstrate the "life cycle" to her class, petsmart had only females. "sigh

Thanks again!
Pc

attached is a pic. RIP desparo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3137.jpg (69.5 KB, 15 views)
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Aw such a cutie. RIP. He looks very young though and would have been hard to wean. I am not so sure about using the mice to demonstrate the life cycle because mice are very overpopulated already. But I would say you should get some fancy 'pet' mice instead of wild because putting a wild animal in a cage will make them unhappy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

more pics

Hope someone gets joy from him even in the form of awwz and lolz.. really wish he had made it. Survived an owl,a human in a sleeping bag and a 4 hour drive then another 2 days on rice and kmilk. Despereaux seemed a fitting name. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Id like to get something a little bit different than a generic petsmart mouse... hmmm any ideas?

Attached are some more pics.. you can see my cat "bear gryllz" taking very good care in warming the pup. <3

Pc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3140.jpg (72.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3141.jpg (65.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF3155.jpg (68.5 KB, 16 views)
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Here is the link to a mouse breeder in TX, her site says that she is no longer breeding, but it's very possible that she knows of other breeders near her, or in your area. If you like the look of the "wild" mice, you can get Pet Fancy Mice in a color called Agouti, basicly, domesticated mice with the wild mice coloring.
Also you can try contacting the AFRMA (www.AFRMA.com) and ask about breeders in your area!

I wish you the best of luck, I was sorry to read about your little mousy buddy. RIP Little Guy!

http://www.freewebs.com/sfmousery/

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields

Last edited by TweedleDeedle3; 10-21-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: forgot to add mousery link
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

He is adorable...and your cat keeping him warm melts my heart. <3 He looks to be only about a week or two old. Instead of fancy mice, you could look for egyptian spiny mice? Best of luck!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

i love the look of the Egyptian! I never would have known had you not mentioned it. And i will contact that breeder. Thanks for the idea!

totally un mouse related - I have been on many forums, this one excels in response time and quality!!..

Thanks

Pc
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I am not sure if this is a breed or a color, but I have heard of Zebra mice before, they are very pretty too.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

He looks to be about as old as Muse was when I found him. :/ Apparently it just wasn't within Nature's cards that he'd make it though. That was one of the first things I read in caring for abandoned/neglected wild baby mice - don't feel bad if they don't make it. The first hill is subjecting their bodies to the difference between their mama's milk, and kitten milk. Even though they're similar, sometimes the real young ones just don't seem to make the adjustment well.

It's also very demanding, before the babies open their eyes(according to the site I get my information from), they need to be fed every 2 hours. And then their eyes open, and then they go through the "flea stage" where they're incredibly difficult to hold onto. Back when I was still nursing Muse with kitten milk, and some kitten milk-soaked bread, he lept straight off my hand, onto the surface below me, then lept again to the floor next to the German Shepard, who'd playfully tossed around Chipmunks in her mouth before. Fortunately she was turned away from him, and didn't notice, and I was able to grab him before she DID notice.

On a side-note; I am pleased by the fact that you say you eat everything you kill. There's so many people out there which don't, and what they kill, they leave to rot. It's incredibly wasteful. :/
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I love the Zebra Mice...they kinda look like chipmunks! Too cute!!

Can you have chipmunks as pets?

Good Luck!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

I found several people on craiglist who are willing to give away their fancy mice, cage and all for free or a very small fee. =)

at the least i will get a proper cage and some little buddies. Its funny how a 25 yr old boy can become a mouse fanatic over night! lol

Thanks again to everyone

Tags
adoption, dallas, field mouse