Water Bottle Chewing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Water Bottle Chewing

Within the last week, my girls have decided to chew through their water bottle(s) I use plastic, and assumed the first was an isolated incident, obviously it was not, since they have now chewed through a second (it was a spare) I am planning on switching glass/chew proof but haven't been able to get to the pet store to buy one. I'd like to switch to all glass, but my males seem to find it amusing to wait until someone is walking past and launch their water bottle at you. Litterally, it'll end up across the room! So I'll keep on with the plastic for the boys.

But since this has just started since Naomi died, could they be mourning her? Up until now, they have NEVER done this, and I've never had rats who have done it. They have toys, I switch them out every three days, so they don't get too bored. I guess it's just kinda annoying!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

How is your waterbottle attached to the cage? If its on the outside then you need to "raise" the bottle from the side of he cage.

For eg...you can use hamster cage ladders, wooden bird ladders, etc to protect the bottle...

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Lilspaz! I never would have thought of that! I'll have to do that for the new waterbottles! Have you tried using the Lixit Top Fill water bottles before? The ones you can fill without taking it off the cage?

~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Rodentologist

My twerps do this too whenever they run out of water and it happens to be in the middle of the day or night.

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ohhh the little stinkers! They had water both times...probably about half a bottle, their fleece liner was soaked! Maybe it's time for new toys!?

~W.C. Fields
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Rodentologist

Sometimes I think they do it just for a distraction... "See what happens? All the water falls out and then the tall one comes and swears and we get a new water bottle!"

We are as gods to the beasts of the fields. We order the time o' their birth and the time o' their death. Between times, we ha' a duty. - Terry Pratchett.

"Men have forgotten this truth", said the fox, "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed. - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

LMAO that could be it! They are all little boogers! It's Nancy doing it, she is the goofiest rattie I've ever owned. She (and Syd) looked so pathetic at a pet store in Philly (I know-Shame on me) I brought them home. They never seemed to sleep, were always active, so much so that when their wheel was in there 24/7 thats all she would do, she'd even fall asleep in there, wake up and start running. I had to take it out because she was making herself sick. My Vet at the time, told me it's something akin to behaviorial problems that PM Puppies have, just bad breeding! But, all in all, I'm glad she's here, and not in the belly of something live. My issue is now, that she's enlisted the other girls to help aid her in her trouble making!

~W.C. Fields
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
Rodentologist

Yeah it only takes one clever one. One of my cages has 3 foster girls in the top section, Persia, Mischa, and Morrigan. I was feeding them roughly the same amount of Suebee's that everybody else were getting, but they always seemed to be starving. I checked all their favorite corners and stuff, and there was none stashed, so I kept upping their portions. Well, I took down their top hammock the other day (that I don't change out often because they don't use it all that much) and it had about 3 cups of pasta stuffed into it. They'd hidden the pasta and eaten the rest of the mix + the base. I know it was Persia that started it. She's the brains.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

That is too funny! My girls hate lab blocks, the boys don't care, they'll eat just about anything. But I have to mix seperate Suebee's for the girls, because they put the Oxbow blocks by the door, so that when you swing it open.....alll over the floor. Then the cats grab them and bat them around the house. I put a little bit of Reggie Rat Diet in their food, so that they get roughly the same amount of food as the boys. I do it because it makes me feel like they are getting "healthy" stuff" even though I know commercial diets are too fatty!

~W.C. Fields
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Rodentologist

Yeah, none of mine have really liked the Oxbow blocks (even though I like Oxbow in general). I wasn't keen on the ingredients in the Harlan blocks either, so right now we're using a base of Natural Balance Vegetarian dog food, which is nutritionally nearly identical to the Harlans!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Are dogs really meant to be vegetarians?
But I'll have to look into that, it beats stepping on blocks, it's kinda like stepping on a Lego at 3am!

~W.C. Fields
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Rodentologist

Absolutely not! It's a specialty formula that they make, and it's intended for dogs with meat allergies (such things do exist!) Our pet supply place keeps it behind the counter so people don't accidentally buy it for their normal dogs.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well that makes sense! My cat has an alergy to "premium" cat food. We tried him on Royal Canin Maine Coon diet, he ate it for a while, then developed an alergy to it. He started to get sores on his gums/lips. Then we switched to Wilderness diet...same thing. Then we tried Blue Buffalo..again, same thing. And the vet actually told me, to buy Iams. Because giving him Meow Mix is like giving him McDonalds every day. So I totally know how an animal can have an alergy to meat based diet.
Incidentally, my cat will not, under any circumstances eat canned cat food, he will lick off all the gravy, and leave the rest to the other cats. But if we put the Vita Gravy on his food, same thing, he'll eat the gravy and leave the rest. And I do not believe it when people say "He'll eat it if/when he gets hungry enough" Apparently these people have never tried to out stubborn a cat!

And my rats LOVE dog treats. I love the Pet Treat Bar at Petco, my rats love the peanut butter mail men! And the faux chocolate chip cookies!

~W.C. Fields