We had a vet visit today :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Unhappy We had a vet visit today :(

OK so today i have been to the vets with one of my 11 week old fancy boys. Diego has got a pea sized abcess on his chin i noticed it last night so got him into vets today and its only an abces. He is on Baytril and i have got to try and drain it and hopefully it will disappear as quickly as it came!! I was so scared that he had a tumor i am glad its something relatively simple to solve! xx

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:44 PM
I am allergic to maths

Awww poor diego, im glad it something simple and easy to fix
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM

i hope it goes away quickly!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Thankyou. I just wish the vet had drained the whole thing and then given me the meds to clear up the infection coz the lump itself is irritating my lil man
If the meds dont clear it up and make it go down he is gonna have to go back and have it drained which is silly and upsetting that he may have to go through surgery afterall when they could have just drained it today but i am staying positive that the meds will reduce it and get rid of the infection!!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

At 11 weeks of age a tumor is highly unlikely...but an abscess is very likely especially with rough-housing boys.

What your vet didn't tell you is that a rat's body so efficiently walls off any infection/foreign material from the healthy body that abs have a very difficult time getting in to fight the bacteria. BUT you can definitely help

Continue the abs of course but you also need to use almost-hot damp compresses held on the abscess twice a day if you can for a minimum of 5 mins. This will bring the infection to the surface and then the abscess will "burst". Then you just need to make sure all the pus and ick is out of there, and flush it with an isotonic saline solution (you can make it yourself with table salt). If the abscess scabs over you need to soft the scab (more damp compresses) until it comes off and continue to flush until the cavity heals up towards the surface. Never put any healing ointments on it as this can encourage the surface to heal over any bacteria/infection still inside, and the abscess often recurs.

I have taken care of many abscesses at home, the only ones I will not try to care for are ones on the jaw or under the ear...these could be tooth abscesses or tumours that affect the zymbal's gland.

Oh and be prepared for one of the most foul odors when it opens up...blech!

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 07:55 AM
Adolescent Pup

thats good that it was only an abscess, i hope it does go away soon!
and what is this bayatril stuffz, ive heard it numerous times on this forum but ive never asked what was it? i know its a antibiotic right?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Yeah its a anti-biotic.
Lil Spaz i am doing hot salt water compresses too as i knew that would help! I just wanna get rid of the lump because he is getting annoyed with it being there! I was sure it was going to be an abcess but there is always that slight chance it's gonna be a tumor regardless of their age!! I am just glad it wasnt serious and hopefully it will clear up in next to no time!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I hope your little man heals up quickly! *hugs* Good luck!

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 05:36 PM

Hope Diego gets well soon. I'm wishing him all the best!