Website for info on Mice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Website for info on Mice?

I am looking for the equivalent to www.ratguide.com etc?

I am now the new owner of a 8 week old male mouse.

I will add the story once I get home from work. My first rescue mouse.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:01 PM
the rodent lover<3

Well..
shouldn't you of researched the animal then got it?

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx Angelica<3 View Post
Well..
Haha, tone it down, you have NO clue who I am do you? I'll just put that dying little mouse back in the rain shall I until I know everything there is to know? LOL

I take in rescue rats...tons of them with health issues, I know rats inside and out. I want to research the same info on meeces...illnesses, symptoms, medications that can be used, recommended dosages, etc.

And here is the story...

I was walking to work in a torrential downpour, and for some reason looked over in front of a storefront. there was a little blob with legs, just standing there wobbling. I crouched down and realized it was a mouse but it was drenched and my guess is that it was flushed out of its nest.

For people not in the know, the City of Toronto is on strike and garbage collection hasn't happened in over 4 weeks now. They are predicting a population explosion of mice, rats and other animals since they have this newfound source of food. This was downtown and I knew if someone saw him they would just kill him. Soo I scooped him up, tucked him under my chin (no bites just soggy squirming every once in awhile), walked the 50 feet to my work. It was sooo cold and shivering I cupped my hands and had it sit there for warmth. Of course this mouse starts acting very un-wild and starts grooming IN my hands.
Poor little beggar had to stay in a box under my desk all day with a bottle cap of water, a t-shirt I had left at work, some stale cookie crumbs, a blueberry I pilfered, and a crust of my bagel later on.
He should've skittered for corners, hidden under the shirt, etc. Nope he sat on top of the shirt and dozed.

I am not sure he will make it so I made sure to take pics etc so he will be remembered.
I also talked to a friend of mine who knows mice.

he weighs 17 grams, I put down a quarter for comparison and he sat on it

Sexing pic...a boy, estimated at about 8 weeks.

Having a drink from his "pond"

He is now covered up in a corner with hides and baby cereal, teeny bits of blocks.
I am hoping he recovers and becomes a lot more wild...then I will release him in High Park on Sunday. If not, I have another rodent.

With a lot of reseach, conversations/IM's with former mice breeders, etc we determined he was domestic, from his nice yellow belly, his face and his demeanour...I was sure he was dying since he was acting unwild. What would be the luck that this little mouse who needed rescuing would be there as I walk by, the luck that I looked over and saw this tiny thing in the blinding rain, etc.

Today's pic confirm it, he is very happy to sit on my open hand, seems to enjoy his back being stroked but gets a very sour look on his face when you touch his head.

so tonight I got him into a bigger cage, more pimped out...

NOW can someone helpfully offer some links?

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Last edited by lilspaz68; 07-24-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Quote:
Well..

Lilspaz is a well known member for her knowledge of rats, she has helped alot of people ie. me, so please do not jump down her throat before we know the story.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 08:42 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning!
You honestly can't talk to me like that, I was just assuming. No I don't know who you are and i'm not going to act like I do. Now here's some links. I wasn't trying to be rude. Sorry for making a point. Anyone who doesn't know you would make the same assumption. And i'm not jumping down her throat, got it? I apologize for not knowing everyone on PawTalk.
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/careofmice/Mice.htm
http://zen.resonantmind.net/care.htm

Your welcome.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

Last edited by xx Angelica<3; 07-24-2009 at 08:47 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Someone got up on the wrong side of bed this morning!
You honestly can't talk to me like that, I was just assuming. No I don't know who you are and i'm not going to act like I do. Now here's some links. I wasn't trying to be rude. Sorry for making a point. Anyone who doesn't know you would make the same assumption. And i'm not jumping down her throat, got it? I apologize for not knowing everyone on PawTalk.
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/careofmice/Mice.htm
http://zen.resonantmind.net/care.htm

Your welcome.
And here was your clue so you would know NOT to say something like that...

My first rescue mouse...did I say YAY! I went to the petstore and it was soooo cute and I just had to have it...now what do I do with it?

and thank you.

You assumed. Read first, then you can ask questions.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:26 PM
the rodent lover&lt;3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
And here was your clue so you would know NOT to say something like that...

My first rescue mouse...did I say YAY! I went to the petstore and it was soooo cute and I just had to have it...now what do I do with it?

and thank you.

You assumed. Read first, then you can ask questions.
I didn't ask questions.

& Also, I didn't see the part where you said your first rescue mouse.
Now, your welcome for the links.
Good luck with the mouse.

my name is Jonni,
Angelica

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 02:42 AM

You should go to the funmouse.com, but I think you need a water bottle, not a dish, they don't really drink from those.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-woodmor View Post
You should go to the funmouse.com, but I think you need a water bottle, not a dish, they don't really drink from those.
He's been drinking fine from it...the waterbottle is just too big for him yet. I use waterbowls for some of my rats.

Joined the Fun Mouse...no real info yet.
I think the Mods are deliberating over my latest post (must be approved).

Posted on RMCA as well, since there's rat and mouse owners on there, and they might understand what I am looking for and not be afraid to answer.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:06 AM

I have to insist a water bottle. Go find one at Petco thats small or something. SHouldnt be too much money. 2-3 dollars.

I know its probably not likely and thats why youve kept the bowl, but its a really easy way for a little guy like him to slip in and get sick or give the cage a change to grow mold. Overall things falling into the bowl is just wrong for the mouse too. They have ones made for dwarf hamsters, they will fit him just fine.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
He's been drinking fine from it...the waterbottle is just too big for him yet. I use waterbowls for some of my rats.

Joined the Fun Mouse...no real info yet.
I think the Mods are deliberating over my latest post (must be approved).

Posted on RMCA as well, since there's rat and mouse owners on there, and they might understand what I am looking for and not be afraid to answer.
Oh I see, my mice never really drank from a dish, they just filled it up with bedding

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I will pick up a bottle next week...I do have a small one, but it still seems insanely big for him. The dish is very flat the water is probably 1/2 cm deep...and he keeps it very clean

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 02:14 PM
Hello Earthling

Would it not be better to keep using the bo in case he is wild enough to be released? A bowl is more puddle like, I don't think people leave bottles out in the wild for mice

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 02:51 PM

true true. HMM. :C But then again if were going in that direction, then why does he ave hammocks and toys? HAHA.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello Earthling

Similar things like the hammock and toys can be found in a wild or city setting, but a bottle..... if anyone can find a little water station for mice I'll give you $10