Weird babies - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Weird babies

Okay our litter of nine from our rescue Genie is growing their fur, and they are the cutest things. I really need to take and post new pics! I plan on doing that sometime this weekend hopefully.

Anyway they are really weird! Our mommy is a black english berk. She was housed with two males at her last location, either of which could have been the father. One was an adult gray english berk, and one was mostly white with grey face and a few scattered gray spots on the back. So here's what's weird, of the nine remaining babies we have 1 black self (gorgeous by the way), 1 black hooded with a broken stripe, 1 black hooded with two distinct spots on the back and no stripe, one gray berk, one gray hooded with broken stripe identical to the black hooded, and get this-we have 4 that so far are completely white. Their eyes are still closed so no telling if they are pew or not. But how weird is that? We are really shocked to have four totally white ones out of the list of possible parents. That's why I'm sticking to breeding for health, temperament, dumbo ears, and rex. It's entirely too complicated to predict color and pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:29 AM
RAT ADDICT

It all depends on the genes.And gauranteed,both males bred with the female.Anyway post pics!!!!!!!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:34 PM

I love figuring out color genetics... LOL It's not that complicated once you learn what gives you what. I'm not savvy on rat genetics, but I would say that if they have ruby eyes, they are albino, and both parents have a hidden c gene. If the baby got 2 copies of the recessive c, then this gene will mask all the other genes giving you an albino rat. And I agree with Lisa, probably both males mated with her. If I knew more about rat genetics I'd give it a shot at figuring out the genetics of the parents and babies, as I said, I love that stuff... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 12:55 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I should get into genetics (not for breeding though) because I love making those tables (I forget what they're called)

It would be cool if the white ones had black eyes...

*Missy*
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 06:43 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh I love black eyed white rats and mice...but we can't get them here!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Black eyed whites are terribly awesome, but my understanding is that they should never be intentionally bred for. Aren't they like the ultimate level of high white rat with megacolon just waiting to happen? Anyway, they should be on schedule for their eyes to pop open either this weekend or early next week, so we'll know soon
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2008, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Real soon, I promise! We've been sooo busy, but I really do have to get some even if they're crummy phone pics. You just wouldn't believe how cute. And they're already used to us messing with them so they're just so snuggly. They already love nose kisses! The adopters of these babies won't ever know their pedigree but they will sure get some sweet ratties!

Tags
black hooded