Weird Idea - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Weird Idea

Okay, so I'm getting my four females spayed soon(at a discounted price). Anyways, I had this crazy idea to put all my rats together(six males, four females) through slow introductions and the sort. Of course it's not 100% that everything would work out...but if it did it'd be quite fun and convenient. I'd also probably buy one of the largest martins cages and be able to give them playtime together instead of separately. Anyways...what do you all think? Possible? If even just one introduction doesn't work out, I'll go back to the way things are now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Adolescent Pup

so your boys are all "together ie whole unnuetered"?cos thats the only concern i would have. if intros went ok then sounds like fun.
with chinchillas we tend to keep them in pairs but i have had 4 girls together.
would it not be easier to nueter boys instead of girls? seems less invasive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chin mummy to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Zoe and Rupert
Sweet Pea and Snude
Fluke and Bindi
Sophie and Monty
No-toes
Snickers

Speights

Lily and Milo
RIP Olivia
Toby

0800 Chin Addiction Services

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

It's more for the health of the girls -- to prevent mammary tumors later on. Neutering males might prevent testicular cancer and reduce aggression, but it doesn't seem too necessary to me since testicular cancer is very rare and my males aren't really aggressive towards one another. I know some people do it to reduce the odor, greasiness, and scent marking, which isn't too great of a reason to do it(no real health benefits).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i guess it would be more convenient - i would be scared to put my rats getting spayed, and i guess if they are young it is easier on them then older, 2 of mine are a year and a half and unless they really needed surgery i couldnt do it to them

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

Lots of people mix altered rats. There shouldn't really be a problem Most of the time though I hear of grouping them when it's the males that were neutered.

We have our sweet Oreo. She developed a mam tumor at 16mo. Which according to articles I've read, females will most often get them at the beginning of menopause then again around 2yrs old. It looks like O'ey was one of those menopause girls. I took her to the vet mostly to have it confirmed. Due to her age and on advice of the vet, we decided not to have it removed. Often those tumors just come back. There is evidence that spaying will reduce the chance of getting them. I think I read that approx 50% of females will get them. Our vet charges $350 to remove tumors. Ouch. Then the gals may not make it through anesthesia. And as I said they often recur. I do have vets that deal with these little creatures a lot, so I trust their judgment. It's now 4mos since the tumor appeared and we are just now seeing it affect her some. We'll keep a watch on her and if things get worse.....

If you are getting a good rate on spaying them all, I'd probably do it too. Just so much heartache, ya know.

We just got 5 boys. I don't think we'd neuter them unless we saw some severe aggression issues. They are only 2mos old. I hope we don't.

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 10:14 PM
RAT ADDICT

If things go well with the spayings and everything and the intros go well,then go for it.It is fun to see a "mischief" of rats play,groom and just do things together.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-02-2007, 11:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i dont know much about rats but you said your males are not aggressive with each other right...thats good..but what might happen when you introduce female (neutered or not) to the males...might they become aggressive to each other because now their are females around them?? Might they fight with each other for the girls??
Just asking..i dont know much about rats

Lve Never Fails

post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

i think that is an awesome idea!
you could get the largest ferret cage from martin's the rats shouldnt get out of that one...i think it will work
rats are so sweet in general and intros are relatively easy, go for it and show tons of pics

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnature
i dont know much about rats but you said your males are not aggressive with each other right...thats good..but what might happen when you introduce female (neutered or not) to the males...might they become aggressive to each other because now their are females around them?? Might they fight with each other for the girls??
Just asking..i dont know much about rats
That'd be possible if they were still girls when I introduced them. Spaying will remove those pheromones and other scents that just drive the males crazy. They'll be "desexed," as some people like to say.

Anyways, I have plenty of cages plus a hospital cage if anything really goes wrong. As Skrat mentioned, rats are really kind animals...introductions go well(in my experience) 80-90% of the time. I've pretty much never had a rat fight with the 16 rats I've had over the years(that includes the 10 I have now).
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 07:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

...i just learned something about rats...thanks.
Hope it all goes well..its good your prepared!
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-03-2007, 08:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah,I barely had any problems introducing rats over the years either!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Yesh yesh they shall be spayed this Friday. I bet they'll hate me afterwards, hahah "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME!??"
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Does martins have a cage bigger then the RUUD? I think the RUUD only holds 9 rats....the Ferret Nation is much bigger and probably cheaper. It's just a thought...One problem with it though is that bar spacing. If your females are on the smaller side they can get out.

*Missy*
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

To be honest, I'll probably just buy another R-680 and stick it right on top. I feel as the number of rats increases, the cage space doesn't have to increase exactly proportionally...my rats all sleep squished into one tiny igloo and just love being together. Plus, whenever I'm there the door is always open if they want to roam around. If I had 10 rats in one cage I think the 30x18x48 that two R-680s would provide will be just fine =]. Their cage, to me, is only where they sleep. I have two tables put together for their playground =].
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 09:22 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

I had 13 in a RUUD, whom are now in the new FN. They are a happy crew so I don't feel like I am overcrowding.
I have 1 neutered boy in with 12 females, with 2 of them unspayed. I introduced 2 groups of 6 and 5 with no problems (I have a video if you would like to see the tub intro of this)...then I added 2 much older PEW unspayed girls...a little pecking order reassertion but no big deal, then those 2 passed and I added some slightly pushy hoodie girls in. the reassertion took a lot longer but all is well again.

Once those girls are spayed and the unneutered boys figure it out you will have harmony. I find the mixed sex colonies are the happiest ones personally.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Tags
male mice, male rat, male rats, syrian hamster, syrian hamsters