Welcome the Newest Alabama Ghost Boys - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

Welcome the Newest Alabama Ghost Boys

Zmei and Black Pete are now home. What a day! These two boys are going to be extra special, I can tell. 7 hour day trip behind my husband and I, and the kids are settling in.

Zmei is a black eyed seal point satin Siamese. He's right at 9 weeks old. My gosh he's so great. He was the first I pulled out of the big giant pile of ratty babies the breeder had in the playpen.

When I first held him, he was lick lick licking me and when I scritched his head, he leaned into my fingers, then started to brux and boggle like it was an Olympic sport. OMG!

I've never held a satin rat before. You can really tell a satin mouse by looks alone. They are so glossy. But a rat, I never could tell in the pictures. Boy you can tell when you pet them. It's like stroking baby rabbit fur, it's so downy. I'm in luv!

Next we had to select a little black boy of our own. There were 4 or 5 from which to choose. I held them all in my arms while they swarmed over me. I really couldn't decide.

My long suffering husband is NOT a rat fan. He is physically kind to them, but is pretty indifferent. He also occasionally makes the socially unacceptable anti-rat quip, which I've come to just roll my eyes and tolerate since it's all bark and no bite. I asked him to come on this trip to meet my favorite rat breeder, and to have a day to ourselves with out the kids. I confess my ulterior motive was to hopefully turn him on to rats.

So, since I couldn't decide which black boy I wanted, I asked him to help me pick. With his usual eye for detail, he picked the one little black boy who wasn't swarming, but sitting calmly in my hands. He then took him from me while I put the rest of the kids back.

Pete was now chosen and named. But I couldn't get my hands on him. My curmudgeon husband was petting him and baby talking him while Pete cleaned himself and started bruxing.

Baby Black Pete. He has made a conquest in my husband who has claimed him for his own. Five minutes home and he's currently sitting in Hubby's hand eating a lab block while hubby surfs the web. He won't let me hold Pete and said (in baby talk voice) "If you are going to have a houseful of rats, then I at least get one that's all for me."

Black Pete is barely 5 weeks old and so tiny; so brave. He also has teeny little white socks on his front paws. They look like sleeve cuffs.

Zmei exploring his new home.

Black Pete making himself at home.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 12-05-2010 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

OH MY GOSH!!!!! SQUEEEEEE!!!!! They are so adorable!!!!!!!!!! And I'm so happy that your husband now has his *own* rat!!!!! Oh, congratulations so much on the new additions to your household! I've been anxiously awaiting this thread, and I'm so happy that you got some photos of them already, too. YAY!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

LOVE THEM!!!! too cute!!!
and I want to pet Zmei's satin fuuuur!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

These guys are flooring me. I hear stories about licky people bonded ratties. Jeffrey and Tucker are my big fat squishy smuggums, and I thought they'd developed nicely into some friendly rats, but man, these new kids are raising the bar on my big manrats.

Zmei can't get enough of me. I tried to leave the kids alone for a day to settle in, but he is desperate for some people time. I opened the cage, and he's all over me, begging for luvin' and play, licking me like crazy and boggling boggling boggling.

Pete has taken his cue from Zmei and even though his little black/chocolate line of rats are apparently more reserved by nature (exhibit Jeffrey and Tucker as proof), he's proving to be the exception. He is comfortable enough to sit and eat in our laps and hang out for 20 minutes at a time. He's definitely bonding with my husband. He has already started grooming my husband's beard and is cool as a cucumber hanging out with him.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

aw that's great news! would love to see him groom your husband's beard haha, that sounds too cute!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Awwww, that's awesome!! I can't wait to see more pictures!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Part of the Pack

congrats~! that's amazing!!!! awww i remember when my ratties where small and cute >.<

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Woo hoo!!! Congrats!! What a great post, and the cutest little guys ever! They are adorable, Storyseeker! I felt the same way as Breyer when you said your hubby had "claimed" Black Pete for his own, that is awesome! Sounds like your husband finally melted for a baby, eh! Yay!!! These boys are off to a roaring start. They love you both already!! Can you tell I am excited? Ha ha.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

P.S. I would ALSO love to see a pic of Pete grooming your husband's beard. That would be soooo awesome!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

The rats are bonding well with the whole family. I don't think Zmei knows a stranger. Pete spent a couple of hours today just hanging out in my bra.

Jeffrey and Tucker knew there were strangers in their turf though. They've spent the day bowing up and slinking everywhere, sniffing like mad in a search and destroy mission against the interlopers. It's been funny to watch, though of course it's kind of sad that I realize they probably won't accept the new kids. I could try neutering them, but have been told that that their particular line has always had problems accepting new males. Their father and grandfather both are/were loners once they outlived their bond mate.

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Part of the Pack

awwww, that's a shame that they don't seem to get along, are you still gonna try to introduce them? just to make sure? they may surprise you...

thunder, Thunder, THUNDERRATS HOOOOOO~!

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

I'll try when the babies get a little older, but like I said, I don't have high hopes. That's fine though. I've got the cage space for two groups.

post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

edit delete

Last edited by Storyseeker; 12-07-2010 at 11:58 PM.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
Official Loofah Tester

I've been working with the two boys, getting them settled and accustomed to us. I also don't want to lose any ground they'd already gained with socialization.

I wore them in my 'rat shirt' yesterday morning. We'd had a small incident in the morning when hubby claimed Pete from me and tried laying down on the couch for a snuggle, but didn't take into account a baby's popcorning and zippy nature and lost him under the couch in the blink of an eye. He then had me checking on Pete all day worried that he'd been hurt in the recapture ruckus. "Is he okay? Check on him. Make sure."

Last night I went to take them out after the kids were asleep, and my husband came walking through. He literally shooed me away from Pete saying /he'd/ do it. It reminded me of my toddler son who would push me away when he wanted to dress himself. "I can do it mommy!"

When he started walking back down to the couch I suggested it might be wise to pick a place Pete where wouldn't get hurt or lost, especially during this more unpredictable baby stage. I went to take Zmei with me into one of our bathrooms, and hubby came up a few minutes later asking if the bathroom would be a safe place. I said yes, but hubby kept questioning me about hidden hazards. I assured him he would be fine.

Then, THEN, my husband lay down on the frikkin bathroom floor for an hour with the kids.

Pete spent most of the time running laps inside our shirts. Zmei was more adventurous, and we discovered he /luved/ hand wrestling. He'd chase hubby's hand around the floor and then hubby'd spiderclaw him and give him a tickle. Zmei would go into spastic little fits and 'rat'-handle the 'claw', then popcorn away only to come back for more.

He did this for 20 minutes. We were laughing so hard we had tears in our eyes. Even the dread pirate Black Pete got into the action, trying to figure out how to subdue a finger or three, which was as big as he was.

I am so going to have to catch these wrestle sessions on film. ROTFL

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Um, YES: FILM PLEASE!!!!! That sounds so great, and I'm glad your husband is really warming up to them! What a nice, big, happy rat family!!!!! YAY!!!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

Tags
alabama ghost boys, new rats