Went CRAZY at the pet store. Need help?? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Went CRAZY at the pet store. Need help??

I was just going out to petsmart to buy my ratty a bigger cage and ended up spening 200 bucks. I saw this blue rat and just felt mine needed a cage mate. So of course that meant a bigger cage and all the goodies But they seem to be fighting, not alot though they did it twice in an hour and only for a few seconds. Is this normal or do I need to take the new guy back?? Please help, I don't want my ratty to get hurt or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 AM

you should do introductions on a bed/bathtub. They are asserting dominace. As long as there is no blood shed they should be good
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 09:55 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yes, introduce them on neutral ground, not in a cage. please dont take the blue guy back, this will work out. if while on neutral ground they still squabble, get a saucer of milk. it'll force them to be near each other and they'll learn that no ones out to get them. its worked for me in the past. but as long as there's no blood, everything's okay. ratties eep lots sometimes but the downright screaming is what you have to watch for

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM

I want a blue rat! They only have PEW and black hooded at the petco near where I live. Good luck!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

The guy you have now is probably asserting dominance on the new guy, that's okay. If you put them in the new cage they are probably even more confused because neither one of them has marked it or anything like that.

Do intros anywhere but their cage....you probably have a crybaby on your hands but that's okay...I have a rat that if the bigger guys just look at him wrong, I swear he eeps.

Also you might find that throughout their lives, they will continue to fight to be the alpha. I have 2 that go back and forth almost weekly...it's funny when they start grooming each other like crazy. My little jackjack is the smallest so I guess he doesn't bother to try to be alpha anymore.

Good Luck.

*Missy*
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 01:16 AM
laugh often

also just for a future refrence when you get more rodents they shouold be quarntined for at least 3 weeks so if there is any illness they won't spread to the other animal. But anyways I'd love to have a blue rattie one day. My boys rough house alot and it's normal and if there' no blood there's usually no worries. It will work out just take it a little slower and it'll work. Ratties are very social animals and I am sure the boys will learn to love eachothers company. Right now they are proving dominance in the pecking order.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:12 AM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with the others.
Introduce them on neutral ground,like a bed or bathtub.They will try and establish dominance,which is normal.As longas there is no bloodshed,then things will be fine.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
black hooded, cage mate, social animals