Went to the pet store today - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Went to the pet store today

I went to the pet store today and of course I had to check out the little ratties and mousies. They had this one gorgeous blue rex male rat who was so cute! But I've sworn off pet store rats, so I restrained myself.

There was this one little PEW boy in with the other young rats and he was just doing really poorly. He was laying on his side, panting heavily. He got up and could only walk very shakily. It was so sad, I wanted to cry and take him to the vet. But I just told one of the cashiers and showed her where he was. She agreed that he looked pretty bad and I left seeing that she was at least going to take him out. I don't know what they are going to do to help him, but I didn't want to stick around. I'm sure he will probably not get the care he needs, but I am just not in a position right now to help him.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

aww....thats so sad, I honsestly dont know what else you can do to help him, this isnt a petsmart or store that is vet certified, is it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh, I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is. Once I went to a pet store and they were selling an old blind hairless female. I still wish I would've gotten her, but she was being sold as snake food so that's the bulk of my remorse. You can only do what you can only do though.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratikans View Post
aww....thats so sad, I honsestly dont know what else you can do to help him, this isnt a petsmart or store that is vet certified, is it?
It was Petco.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Geesh, I hate it when things like that happens, it's so strange that the customers always care more about the animals in the pets stores than the actual staff! Grrr... this make me so mad! Well, well done for telling someone! I felt bad once when I went to [email protected] & there was a dumbo rat in a cage with no other rats and it looked so soo sad! I felt really sorry for the rat & was going o bring it home to introduce to my boys over time, but the rat turned out to be a girl and I came home with Husky & Arthur instead because I got to tempted.
I'm disapointed about pet store rats/pets The only problem is that I cant find any breeders where I live or around because everyone seems to think rats are gross, which makes me so angry!
Well, it's them thats missing out on the joy!
Thanks for sharing, you were strong not to take him to the vets and bring him home, I am not strong enough lol

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My husband and I are boycotting the big chain stores all together. We don't even buy supplies there anymore because we do not want to support a store that would treat animals like that in any way at all. I also periodically like to write or call into petsmart to tell them what my monthly pet supply bill for a colony of rats, two dogs, two guinea pigs, and two geckos is and remind them why they've lost my business. I've always known their animals weren't treated well, but I saw a video a few weeks ago about what their back rooms are like and how they animals are really treated out of the eyes of customers and it's even worse than what you would imagine from seeing the pets for sale. That really made my mind up about the big boycott thing. It really only makes sense though if you think about it.

They don't even buy from reputable breeders just big suppliers like sunpets. Their animals are unhealthy, poorly socialized, poorly bred etc. But just because they are well known and cheap they draw people away form the small private breeders which makes it hard for us to exist and they draw people away from the rescue groups at the same time that they are contributing to the need for there to be rescue groups. The whole thing is just entirely irresponsible. Pets should not be treated as a cash cow.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah, I haven't actually bought anything from those stores in a long time. I just went in to look at fish tanks because I wanted to see what they cost new so that I could try to find a "good deal" on a used one online. But of course I went to see how the animals were doing. Generally this store does take good care of its small animals, but I'm totally with everyone on the idea that buying from the mills is deplorable. None of the stores around me even sell the food I use for my rats, so that makes it even easier to not buy from them.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
It was Petco.
Ugh. That explains a lot.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:37 AM
Jird Jostler

I'm so glad that here in england we do not have many large pet chains like petco.. the only main one is pets at home, everytime i have visited all the animals seem happy and healthy.

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

yeah, normally pets at home are very good! they actually ask questions about whats going to happen to the pets and what their living conditions will be. They will even offer to get a qualified vet out and check the rats you want to get if you have any doubt ect
I'm very happy with pets at home right now. My only set back on them is when a woman almost said I could not have the rats because I was going to introduce them to my current two at the time. Now all 4 are happy and healthy living together

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Tags
male rat