What is this? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Question What is this?

Well my ratties are about 7/8 months now and well toto the biggest one has started making weird noises its like wee squeaky chest noises coming from him he only does it sometimes but he plays the same EATS the same drinks and hes really healthy looking i looked at his eyes noise mouth and felt his body .. my mom said the vet would take a look and wouldnt care because no-one here cares about rats so i have some vitamins here for their water im going to put in everymorning.

He does seem very normal so if he gets worse or starts to effect him i'll take him to a vet.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

No-One ?

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Betta Bomb

im no expert on rats (but i couldnt leave ya here all alone!!) maybe VanRat will know or someone else here but to me that sounds like some sort of respitory infection-what kind of shavings are they on?? if he was EVER on pine or cedar the damage may already be done from that and not from you-where did you get them? if they were raised entirely from babies without pine or cedar shavings then i would say its some genetic thing.....

Again ,ill get Lisa(vanilla rat)to come here.(she's my sister so im not picking favorites)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you.
No they have been on cat litter for the first few months and now they are on newspaper.
Its like a squeaking noise i dunno maybe hes geting old ?

&& thanks again x

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:46 AM
RAT ADDICT

No,he wouldn't really show aging signs this early.
It sounds like it may be the start of an RI.A rat will still act normal in the early stages of a respitory infection.

Is there any other sounds when he breaths???
If it is the start of a RI,then he needs antibiotics so it doesn't get worse.Unfortunatly RI's are REALLY common in rats.

What kind of cat litter?
The dusty,rocky kind of litter is not good for them.It is really dusty and that can definatly get into the lungs.I know on the back of some of those cat litters it says it is okay to use for small animals...but I wouldn't! Yesterdays News is perfect tho and is a paper,pellet kind of litter.

I would keep your eye on him.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
RAT ADDICT

Oh and another thing I forgot to add.
If they start getting congested,you can put them in a small carrier in the bathroom while the shower runs on hot for about 10 minutes.This will clear up their lungs for a little bit.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 10:31 AM

It sounds like an upper respratory infection (URI) which rats are prone to. I personally would take him to the vet. These infections go down hill rather fast and are very to pass on to the other rats.

I don't mean any disrespect but your mother is wrong. Vets DO care about rats and mice and I have spent several hundreds of dollars in the last few months at the vets and such for my mice to prove it. In fact, my vet took over an hour to look over Muta last Tuesday so she could figure out what is wrong with the poor guy. He is going back this Tuesday for a follow up. Money well spent in my opinion.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I developed a close relationship with my vet who just adored my rats. She helped me through so much with them. You can't put a price on a really good vet. I agree with Susinko, every penny I spent was worth it.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I have to agree with the vet thing. I was in there a few months ago with Jack and Tweener. Almost everyone that worked at the vets office came into the room just to check out my rats. Also in the middle of the exam my little Jackjack decided that the had to sit on my shoulder...the doc examined him while he was still sitting on my shoulder...LOL...Vets do care and with a lot of vets that specialize in the pocket pets, well thats the reason why they specialize in them, they just love them as pets. Just because the animal only cost $3 doesn't mean anything. As a matter of fact if I wanted to I could probably find a stray dog or cat and they would be free, but would that keep me from taking them to the vet because they were inexpensive pets?
Sorry I just went on a little rant....

Anyway you could put him in the bathroom with you while you are taking a shower or put a humidifier in the room near the cage. Really there isn't anything OTC you can do for an URI, you will need antibiotics. Once he starts sneezing it's hard to get rid of so take care of it now. As a matter of fact if you have more then 1 rat you'll have to treat them all most likely (if they're in the same room)

*Missy*
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205 View Post
the doc examined him while he was still sitting on my shoulder...LOL...
My vet did that once too! It was my Zorro. He even got a shot while he was perched up there.

Maureen

Six new rats